Thread: Another opinions thread - this time a 70 T cpe

Another opinions thread - this time a 70 T cpe

Hello everyone - My search has begun and so has my education. It appears that this car has been languishing around for awhile. It's nearing a close at ebay with no interest at all and I'm really not clear as to why. I like parts of it and it seems to actually be OK in all the important areas. I'm asking about what I'm missing here for the price. Your opinions are always very welcome and appreciated. I must say that I'm also a bit weary about this dealer/consigner. It seems that they represent some real questionable stuff. Not all they have is bad by any means, but some of the cars are quite shakey.

http://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/stlc...te.asp?id=1675

thx -

mark z in nc...

Either I missed it, or they didn't have a price. Car looks good, now it just depends on HOW good they think it is!!

By the way, someone needs to tell them that there couldn't be a 71 championship sticker on a 70 car! And it's on the wrong window.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

sorry guys, I thought the price was listed in their site.
    it closed on ebay with no bids at $34K.

- thx

I agree with Ed, it looks pretty good. If I were to nitpick, I would point out the baggy front seat upholstery and the not so great fit of the carpet at the rear. I doubt the mileage is original.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

There are many people on this site that are much more capable than I of telling you which nut and bolt is wrong or if the plating is original but I have bought a couple of 911's recently in this price range so I can give you some practical advise. First of all any car can be made to look good in pictures taken from 10 feet away. Remember, pictures always make a car look better. So what I see here is a nice "photo 10 footer". As they took a few detailed pictures I saw a few things that caught my eye, rear decklid fit on right side not the best, seats recovered, seat back release levers strange/missing, driver side door striker blown-out, missing the rubber seals on the steering rack pan, red calipers - typical things you would expect on a sub $40k 911 being sold by a dealer. What is more concerning is what pictures they did not take. You really want to see some detailed pictures of the door gaps. I would also have them remove everthing in the trunk and get some close-ups, that is where it can get ugly, both with rust and previous collsion damage. Then have them remove all the light assemblies and see what it looks like behind there and also the condition of the assemblies themselves. When you start to see a bunch of unoriginal hardware in these places you will undoubtly find more problems with the paint job. This car was repainted in 1990, 911 T's were not as respected back then and they often received less than perfect body repairs and paint jobs. The body shop would have taken out the headlights and other light assemblies, if they couldn't get them back in the car with the correct hardware you can bet they left you some other surprises. The car probably leaks oil, I would be willing to bet that it does leak oil - fixing leaks cost money. The last two cars I bought with mag cases were leaking at the bottom of the case seam - meaning complete engine teardown. Another thing that caught my eye, receipts from a bunch of different places- Zims, Pelican,Vertex - this is the sign of a "do-it-yourselfer", unless the guy is from this forum that is a concern. All in all it is fun to buy 911's for under $40k but it is a gamble - it does not take long for you to spend $25k worth of labor/parts and then you have to look at what you could have bought for that amount. That being said I would probably buy this car, but I think you can get it for less than $34k. The color combination is going to keep people away - if it was Tangerine it would be gone.
    Last edited by Orbit; 09-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.