Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Join this club...

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Hi all,
    I have been joining few weeks ago and after a very short while, I decided to become a paid member, why ? Because Early911s is different, there are so many forums on Porsche and cars in general, so many crappy stuff in these forums with tons of adds poping up to yoour face, fake answers and most of them are claiming for money to become A Member.
    I am one of those who is playing with the IT since 30 years, and have seen many IRC, ICU, BBS, etc..
    This forum is really different from the others, it is unique, beleive me. I laught at loud when reading some responses, and had teardrops while reading in the last ESSE article about the Brown 911S.
    There is acommunity of passionate here, people living their passion without taking care of what other thinks. It is a breath of oxygen in our everyday life.

So yes, money is needed. will you pay for a forum without trying it ? Registered members would need to try before. Do not forget that many of the users do not meet each others, which may explain. The physical meetings make you feel you belong to somme real community. Even in 2012, we are still human being.

That said, I like the idea of a trial for non paid member (view one page only per topic) and the sales/research for paid member only. I am not a fan of putting adverts on this site.

One more thing, I still cannot beleive I am one of yours :-) I am proud of it.
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Thumbs up

Cheers Xavier, and thanks for your support...........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I believe you should keep the forum open for all so that info continues to flow. I am a member and believe in paying to play, but if you want to, see what could happen if you close this board and make it private, stroll over to the 356 Registry and see what has happened to their forum due to "going private". It is not a good thing.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Open or closed to membership? It's typical on many levels to other clubs' quandary.

As a cautionary tale: A number of years ago a local autocross club started a high speed driving event annually at my favorite track BIR. They had been previously invited to another clubs (single marque) event but once that clubs participation grew to fill it's roster the invite was no longer offered.

The autocross group started their own high speed event, found a spot on the tracks schedule and ran the event for four years - it was a open "run what ya brung" event. Cars eventually came from four states to enjoy. Muscle cars, sports cars and sedans, single common draw was the driving at speed. Started small and grew into a self sustaining event and started to add a little profit to the clubs treasury. Fun event. Fifth year the host group decided that this should be a club only perk. Length of membership was a requirement to limit the outsiders. Plus lots of other similar changes. General event attitude came across as not very friendly. Few smiling faces that day - sorry to say it folded - that was their last track event. They had something good - wanted to make it better - ended making it different but not better. As I said, a cautionary tale.

This site like other Early 911S Registry club activities, especially the "Esses" magazine is not only stellar - it's working. The reason this site attracts users is because there is a common good and the cars and people are both way interesting.

Spread the word on membership....it is worth it.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

I happen to be one of those who recently joined, at the suggestion of some R-Gruppe members, to find out if I can put a factory rear condenser onto a ducktail; I'm in South Florida where A/C is definitely need.
    I'm now in the process of looking into buying an older Porsche. My Veronica is an 87 coupe with approx. 61,000 miles. Eventually, she will be my daily driver; right now she's driven mostly on the weekends and sometimes during the week when I get tired of my WRX wagon . Lil Blue is fun and practical and has given me 10 years of pleasure. However, since getting Veronica, it has been an incredible joy, one that I had been dreaming about since I was around 13 or 14 years old (the time when wooly mammoths and saber-tooths roamed the earth). I do plan on either selling Lil Blue or giving her to my son, though if he gets the job he wants when he graduates in January, he wont need a car; he'll be in NYC. I've been quietly talking to someone regarding an older 911, and if it happens, my membership money will be on its way to you.
    Veronica (named after Veronica Lake...love those curves!):
    Name:  IMG_0821.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  107.0 KB

I've enjoyed reading and looking at members' cars and projects, and hope to do so for a long time.
    Serge

Well, I've been reading this board for a while, and enjoy the give and take, the knowledge, and the cars. I just joined with an associate membership for my son, who will eventually have my cars. I don't have an early car yet, just a sweet 87 named Veronica; however, I do i intend to buy one in the next year or two; I look forward to being here for the future.
    Last edited by Veronica87911; 11-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Thumbs up

Cheers Serge, and thanks for your support......
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck, can we pay for multiple years at once? Like with PCA I always pay for 3 years at a time. Then you don't have to deal with renew every year.
    72S, 72T now ST

Scott,

Not sure about the on line multiple function... although it does have a box for #1 maybe #2.... I have a call in.

If you get a hold of Mike Hammond he can set you up with , I believe, a two year max membership.
    hammondms@earthlink.net
    (310) 322-7701.

Hope this helps
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I have been procrastinating for far too long. Joined today!

Thanks
    Tim Pritchard

1970 911S (resto underway) http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ge-1970S-resto
    1976 Carrera 3.0 Group Sc Race Car
    1969 911T Group Sb Race Car (Sold to a good home)