Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a E30 M3

It's very difficult sometimes for me to understand the system you have in the US ... it appears that some radical mods (engine swap, insane wheels, etc) can be done quite easily, whereas some others (like importing a "simple" M3) appear to be mission impossible ... interesting world we live in
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Lightbulb

Maybe registration in Alabama, like for Rossi's 917?

"Count Rossi of the Martini company, bought chassis 030 from Porsche. He raced it once under the Martini Racing Team Flag at the Zeltweg 1000 km World Championship race on 27 June 1971. After the race, it was returned to the factory, where it was modified with basic road equipment (exterior mirrors, turn signals, exhaust system and comfort modifications) and painted silver. None of the European authorities would certify the car for road use and Rossi obtained the Alabama plate 61-27737 to circumvent the problems."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_917
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Est = ~$25k . . . . + cost of vehicle + shpg + ins + bond
    Actually a lot more because the car is E17,000 which is already $22,000 (and 190,00 KMs is no spring chicken) and the importation is a nightmare, just watch Rainman again with Cruise and Hoffman.

The reason it is such a convoluted process is specifically to deter people from cutting out the US dealer network, that is the only reason, it has nothing to do with safety. Otherwise why is it OK for half the gardeners in this state rattling around in 80s Datsun pickups belching noxious gasses and riding on bald tires with lawnmowers sliding around in the back?

It isn't much easier taking a car to Germany either, they make you jump through some pretty serious hoops as well before getting your road pass not to mention Value Added Tax which can add a huge number to importation costs. The funniest thing is the difference in fares each way; Germany to the US is very expensive for a RoRo (roll on roll off) spot on a ship but not bad at all on the nearly empty leg from the US to Germany......let's face it, we aren't selling them too many cars these days are we?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    let's face it, we aren't selling them too many cars these days are we?
    Not new ones, but there're plenty of classics - American and German - heading to Germany. I know of 3 more Porsches that were sold to German buyers just today.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 11-01-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Not new ones, but there're plenty of classics - American and German - heading to Germany. I know of 3 more Porsches that were sold to German buyers just today.
    I feel compelled to point out to Porsches are made in Germany, so they are bringing their own cars home. We as a nation, that is Detroit, are not selling too many cars going the other way. The 3 Porsches returning home are going to feel pretty lonely on a ship built to carry 1,000 vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    I feel compelled to point out to Porsches are made in Germany, so they are bringing their own cars home. We as a nation, that is Detroit, are not selling too many cars going the other way. The 3 Porsches returning home are going to feel pretty lonely on a ship built to carry 1,000 vehicles.
    Having been built for the American market, I'd say they were right at home here on our soil.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Peace

. . .

Est = ~$25k . . . . + cost of vehicle + shpg + ins + bond . . .

6-8 years back, I'd guesstimated the total cost of bringing over an Evo @~$65k . . . assuming I could find a suitable car

The conversion's not all that difficult --- back then, BMW NA still had almost all the US-spec bits (instruments, inter-lock, etc) in stock/on-the-shelf, and --- except for welding-in the door beams . . . all the work consisted of parts-swapping. I'd even found a Shop (Boston area, I think) that had all the required DoT approvals/clearances/licensure to do the conversion. Timing was an issue --- any non-complying vehicle had 90-days to get converted . . . but all totally doable

Then Evo prices went koo-koo

Real M3s have been cult-cars for a while. But Evos are something else. 600 were built --- either red or black . . . and all were spoken for before they were built. Cars were specifically built to homologate some bits for DTM --- the 2.5 litre motor, in particular . . . but, cosmetics aside there were myriad other changes . . . spoilers + splitters, gauge of sheet-metal, thinner glass, even a different trunk lid . . . sounds familiar?

Anyway, chasing/evaluating/trying to buy one long-distance was getting kinda exhausting . . . but the last straw was when I'd located what was allegedly the last Evo built, in Portugal, then had the Seller jack his price (twice), before finally going MiA. Car was beat, too --- tons o' miles, parked outside, etc . . . ~$40k

Lost my taste for the Whole Deal. Walked away

Last Evo price I heard about was $100k for a high-miler at one of the Euro auctions

Oh --- but wait . . . . there's more . . .

Back ~'04? . . . Barrett-Jackson sold a genuine '87 or '88 BMW DTM Team (as in FACTORY, Ravaglia's, I think?) car for $50k!!!

OK-OK --- so it hasn't got a VIN and I can never drive it on the street . . . so what?

Anyway --- I bought a Porsche . . .

. . . to get away from kooky Sellers, creepy cars, stupid prices . . .

. . . get some peace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-02-2012 at 08:17 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Anyway --- I bought a Porsche . . .

. . . to get away from kooky Sellers, creepy cars, stupid prices . . .

. . . get some peace
    Sorry but I have to laugh and say you didn't run far enough!!

Anyway, with your help I am zeroing in on a white car that I hope one day soon will look like this. I love your shots of the Warsteiner car but for me without the stickers. You are right on, the 1st M3 is a cult but just like in the P car world good ones are rare, this is one of the most customized cars I've ever seen and BMW records, fit and finish from the factory is well, pretty haphazard. M division or Motosports was started by car guys not record keepers so I guess that is only fitting but now it is a big deal and they slap a M on every model in the line including the SUVs for Pete's sake so it is only natural the first cars are starting to take off.

When they are on song these are a phenomenal drive, rare enought to be collectible and.....wait for it......a trunk! Yep, the first car I have bought in 20 years the wife approves of. Or she's lying, I can't tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A very famous clip but if you haven't seen it, well, it is one of the best drives ever at The Manx and still talked about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzKnUkHLkwY

This one doesn't have the box fenders, but it's an E30 with a lot of M bits and should be a fun ride and much cheaper than the real thing:
    http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/199...r+Sale+Blog%29
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS