Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to buy a E30 M3

that E30 is already over priced....similar cars sell for $8-10k. Look at the miles on the body..200k and the motor has 100k+!

The S50 swap is pretty common . . . biggest trick is getting a proper-sized radiator into the engine bay once the 6-cyl gets stuffed in --- kinda tricky . . . but somebody may've started selling 'kits' for this. Ireland Engineering comes to mind

The problem is any HP gains are negated by the screwy-handling that comes w/ all that weight hanging-out there in front. You'll have your hands full, trying to get the brakes + balance right to use the power effectively. Most Garage Scientists never do

A Real M3 doesn't do any one thing well and honestly --- make lousy drag-racers . . . but if there're any corners or bumps or crummy road-surfaces? . . . a Real M3 is every Big Motor/Horsepower drivers' worst nightmare. A DTM-winning package . . . w/ AC and a trunk. It'll give up that 1st 1/4 mile . . . then take the next 50. Or 5000. What it can't out-run? --- it'll out-last . . . 27 mpg at 75 MpH. What it can't out-accelerate?, it'll out-corner/out-brake/out-handle . . . wear down

A lotta cars have more power than a Real M3

They're gonna need it . . .

We Can Be Heroes

old softie67S
    I have never driven a M3. Actually I haven't driven a BMW since a 2002. How does an M3 compare with the 911 offering of the same year?
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Quote Originally Posted by tomkirkcis View Post
    . . . never driven a M3 . . . How does an M3 compare with the 911 offering of the same year? . . .
    I shopped a G50-trans'd 911 . . . while I was still driving a Real M3 . . . just before I bought my Longhood

The 911 will feel more solid, lower, refined . . . probably at least as quick + fast, tighter/smaller

A Real M3 will feel lighter, more alert. It's a sedan so you sit bolt --- and I do mean bolt upright. One of the best things about the car is the visibility --- to all four coners. Steering is less-muscular but just as feely

Ahhh . . . but that engine. BMW's S14 is flat below 3000 --- not impressive/responsive . . . vs Porsche's 6 which feels punchier --- mucho. But that ///M motor . . .

. . . @ 3500 RpM? --- cymbals . . . clash

@ 4500? --- orchestra strikes-up . . . . . horns first, then reeds, strings filling in, then screeching

@6000? . . . a whole bunch of Tenors start hooting/howling . . . .

@7000? . . . Sid & Johnny have dialed-up the Amps and the cops are coming. If you have any hair on your neck --- or anywhere . . . it's standing-up . . . full-attention

The breathless little 4-banger is now bellowing like a liter-bike and the shifter is thrashing-around in the console, hooked-up to some insane ///M-brand food-processor. The steering only gets better w/ speed --- the view panoramic. Brakes are the car's weakness --- but only if you won't use the motor to brake . . . your right foot has an occult connection to your speed/direction/trajectory. Car will do anything you ask . . . as fast/stupidly as you can ask. I've had passengers hit their heads on the side-glass saying 'turn left now'

The 911 feels expensive, well-made, smooth, secure . . . deserving of the reputation + money spent. The Real M3 feels like a breathless over-hyped small BMW . . . until you give it the spurs. Then? It just feels --- glorious . . . a happy muscular little terrier-of-a-car . . . ready to play/have some fun

Remember that when you look for one

No one bought them because they were expensive or special or collectible . . .

They bought/kept/used/adored them . . .

. . . for fun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-08-2012 at 01:50 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

There is an old codger with a red E30 M3 at the PCA San Diego AutoX whose times are the same as the 993s, some of which are driven by instructors. He was 4 full seconds (on a 1:30 a lap average) than I was in the 73 911. And he lapped like a metronome in a shiny red car on street tires he says his wife sometimes takes to the market when his truck is blocking the driveway.

'88 Zinno . . .

From the BMWCCA website . . .

. . . Previous owner replaced oil-pan gasket, water pump, hoses, radiator, belts, power-steering hoses + reservoir, transmission mounts, upgraded rear shock mounts, fuel pump, fuel injectors, cap, rotor, plugs, EVO III wires & R134A retrofit, professionally-refinished wheels with new Toyo T1R tires, professionally repainted, mechanically stock except for TMS chip & upgraded timing-chain tensioner, purchased 3/09 at 89,532 miles, garaged & covered, driven regularly, clean history, no accidents, snow, salt or rain . . .

Asking $25.5k OBO
    (Not mine)

http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/listings.php?id=4362
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Yes I have looked long and hard at this one especially because Tom, the current owner bought it from EAG and they go over all their cars from top to bottom before they sell them. Close, but I am not a big fan of the red cars and I just did a PPI on a car back east all it's life and although there was nor real rust, every bracket, every bolt every hose on the bottom of the car was massively corroded and either broken off of stuck tight. Then add that this is above my earlier stated buget of 20k plus another $1500 to get it here from New York and I am not jumping up and down. Its a really good car I guess I should be but I have been looking long enough to know I really just don't dream about red cars.

'89 Real M3 . . .

. . . . in Tucson

VIN = WBSAK0309K2198152
    Mi = 122k

. . . Great weekend driver and close to 100% stock 1989 BMW M3. Radio is aftermarket as is the steering wheel. However, the stock steering wheel will be included with the sale of the vehicle. Recent work has been completed on the car. Interior is very nice with no cracks on dash and usual wear on driver seat with backseats being in very good condition. Installed new OEM shifter. Exterior is clean with a minor chip . . .

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...hRadius=0&mmt=[BMW[M3[]][]]&listingId=325855083&Log=0

Asking $17.8k

(Not mine)

We Can Be Heroes

one more E30 M3 on eBay now with buy it now of $25,000 --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E30-/...orcev4exp=true
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS