Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: '73 bmw 3.0 cs . . .

Talking

Frank,

I like my cars to be as original as possible. A lot of my cars (73 911E SR, Dino Spyder, Chrome Bumper Cornice Convertible) each still have the Original Paint. The others like my Speedster, Twin Grille Roadster, 73 911S, 280SL are restored to original condition... I also have a couple of E9s that are nearly100% original.

But I have been repeatedly told by the BMW 3.0CS (AKA E9) "EXPERTS" that at this point having the "ORIGINAL ENGINE and TRANS is NOT what virtually ALL 3.0CS owners/buyers want" They all want an Injected 3.5 with a five speed... Then Lowered with Bilsteins...

I have seen a bunch of ORIGINAL low milage 3.0CS remain unsold while the heavily modded cars do sell... To be honest my E9s with the original drivetrain are NOT that much fun to drive! A five speed is a huge improvement over a four speed just like with a 911. The 3.0CS Autos are absolute slugs but they are beautiful to look at and are nice cruisers...

The upside like with 911s is that all of the BMW upgrades are basically just bolt ins... No cutting or major drama to install a 3.5...

I guess it is like 356s were for a thousand years... The HOT TICKET setup was always a built 912 engine (120HP) with a 356C 741 trans. That made Speedsters 911 fast and is how my Speedster is setup, with the 1957 75 HP engine in the Garage... A stock Speedster is slow and BORING...

The same was true for 911s a bunch of people installed a 2.7 , a 3.0 or even a 3.2 in their LWB...

And who told that E9s are prone to rust? That is a rumor and is totally false... Take a look at the attached photo... This E9 was an Original Calif Car that lived its whole life in Palm Springs discovered stored in a locked and sealed garage for nearly 40 years... The new owner had it polished and waxed and will be racing the car at Laguna Seca...
    E9s Rust? That's ridiculous!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by execmalibu; 11-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    Frank,

I like my cars to be as original as possible. A lot of my cars (73 911E SR, Dino Spyder, Chrome Bumper Cornice Convertible) each still have the Original Paint. The others like my Speedster, Twin Grille Roadster, 73 911S, 280SL are restored to original condition... I also have a couple of E9s that are nearly100% original.

But I have been repeatedly told by the BMW 3.0CS (AKA E9) "EXPERTS" that at this point having the "ORIGINAL ENGINE and TRANS is NOT what virtually ALL 3.0CS owners/buyers want" They all want an Injected 3.5 with a five speed... Then Lowered with Bilsteins...

I have seen a bunch of ORIGINAL low milage 3.0CS remain unsold while the heavily modded cars do sell... To be honest my E9s with the original drivetrain are NOT that much fun to drive! A five speed is a huge improvement over a four speed just like with a 911. The 3.0CS Autos are absolute slugs but they are beautiful to look at and are nice cruisers...

The upside like with 911s is that all of the BMW upgrades are basically just bolt ins... No cutting or major drama to install a 3.5...

I guess it is like 356s were for a thousand years... The HOT TICKET setup was always a built 912 engine (120HP) with a 356C 741 trans. That made Speedsters 911 fast and is how my Speedster is setup, with the 1957 75 HP engine in the Garage... A stock Speedster is slow and BORING...

The same was true for 911s a bunch of people installed a 2.7 , a 3.0 or even a 3.2 in their LWB...

And who told that E9s are prone to rust? That is a rumor and is totally false... Take a look at the attached photo... This E9 was an Original Calif Car that lived its whole life in Palm Springs discovered stored in a locked and sealed garage for nearly 40 years... The new owner had it polished and waxed and will be racing the car at Laguna Seca...
    E9s Rust? That's ridiculous!
    lol. had me going before the edit.

Talking The "GREAT PUMPKIN" lives... Thank you Charlie Brown!

Frank,

It is absolutely amazing how much internet activity this Orange 3.0CS has received, I have never seen anything like it...

First I received 3 emails in one day from friends who saw it offered and know I like E9s... Then there are numerous discussions about this exact car on BAT, Hemmings, the E9 discussion boards, Early 911S discussion boards and other sites... Colorado Orange is very rare on 3.0CS and you either love it or hate it! I specifically went to investigate buying the car because I love the wild color...

I have been driving the car for the past couple of days and have had people stop and take a photo and have had people honk and give a thumbs up... Here in Malibu we have lots of ultra exotic cars and I have never seen anyone taking photos of a car...

We have decided to call the car the "GREAT PUMPKIN" The name was stolen from the 1966 Peanuts Cartoon...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 11-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.

What seats were put in that car? It is a unique color. Call me biased, but I think Fjord Blue is the best color. With all the metal bits and the long lines of the coupes, metallic paint sure suits them well. I parked NEAR an orange wall one afternoon to capture the complementary color of the blue.

Fra_10_29rev.jpg
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

yeah, Colorado is a great color!

Inka vs Colorado

My mistake

When I first posted this, I mis-identified the color as Inka . . . but, like the ad said . . . it's actually Colorado . . .

Interesting to read some of the comments. Like Porsche, BMW went through a vivid color phase, back in the early '70s. Colorado's actually kinda . . . well --- restrained

So, here's some Inka for comparison
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-08-2012 at 09:22 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Color . . .

What ever happened to BMW?

. . . and color? . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-07-2012 at 09:45 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    Frank,

It is absolutely amazing how much internet activity this Orange 3.0CS has received, I have never seen anything like it...

First I received 3 emails in one day from friends who saw it offered and know I like E9s... Then there are numerous discussions about this exact car on BAT, Hemmings, the E9 discussion boards, Early 911S discussion boards and other sites... Colorado Orange is very rare on 3.0CS and you either love it or hate it! I specifically went to investigate buying the car because I love the wild color...

I have been driving the car for the past couple of days and have had people stop and take a photo and have had people honk and give a thumbs up... Here in Malibu we have lots of ultra exotic cars and I have never seen anyone taking photos of a car...

We have decided to call the car the "GREAT PUMPKIN" The name was stolen from the 1966 Peanuts Cartoon...
    Nice pick up EXEC MALIBU!! I like it alot!
    1993 964 C2 GPW
    1973 BMW 2002 Verona (Daily)
    1974 914 2.0 Project A/X (in progress)
    1972 911T 2.4 Webers - SOLD
    89 BMW M3 Lachs - my former DD - SOLD
    https://youtu.be/QrF6VEVh1NQ

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Like, Porsche, BMW went through a vivid color phase, back in the early '70s.
    And if you asked kindly at Baur your got your convertible in any color.
    A lot of convertibles actually have Porsche colors
    Here a convertible in Porsche Blutorange (the right one)
    BMW-02-Reihe-4.jpg
    and another one in condor
    image1880.jpg

Anyone know what type of seats are in the "GREAT PUMPKIN"? I was told by a vintage BMW expert that they are Scheels from the 1970s... They have been recovered in Leather to exactly match the 3.0CS interior color...

Peanut,

I have a Flord Blue 3.0CS which is a beautiful color and also a Baikal Blue CSi and a Riviera Blue 2800CS... In my opinion the Baikal and Nacht Blue which are both darker Metallic Blues then Fjord are much more dramatic looking on the E9s. Although they did build a very high percentage of Fjord E9s so it was a VERY popular color in the early 1970s... I also love the BRIGHT YELLOW (Golf ) and the Colorado Orange...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 11-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.