Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9112100876

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

I bought this car after selling my near mint white '83 SC. It's definitely a gamble for me as it needs a lot more work than the previous car did. I also don't have a ton of money to work with so this may move slowly. I picked up this '72T in Alexandria Virginia last Wednesday. The owner picked me up at the airport. It was dark. We signed some stuff and I drove away. The 3 liter SC swap feels great, and the early 915 gearbox and its short gears make for a hell of a lot of fun. The M&K 911R muffler had silencers in when I picked it up. I remedied that and the car sounds phenomenal. Some things the owner didnt tell me about was a misfire at low throttle at idle and any gear on the passenger side bank of the engine. It also just reeks of gas when the window is down. I didnt find any leaks so I suspect the venting was not done properly when the swap was done. Who knows, maybe thats the vacuum leak causing my misfire. I'll look into it.

I bought the car based on some trust and many many photos. It was once Albert Blue. The plans are to eventually strip the car down, and repaint it back to Albert Blue. Many many (im sure you guys can help point out a few more) things are wrong with the car. Wrong bumpers. Wrong deck lid. Wrong seats. Wrong carpet. Wrong dash trim. Wrong driving lights. Wrong wheels. Wrong mirrors. Wrong Wrong Wrong. I do not have the original motor for this car, but it did have the swap I was planning on doing anyways. I'm not a serial number guy so it works out well. The seats are brilliant, but too big for the car. The steering wheel is great, but too fat and modern for the car. I think treating the car with period correct modifications without putting things on the car that show it is something it isn't is possible. The car will remain a hot rod, and I'll drive the hell out of it as much as I can. I'm hoping to undo a couple decades of misc owners putting their own personal "touches" on the car. We'll see how it goes. Here is how the car looked when I picked it up.

I'll be documenting my progress with the car here, and in total911 magazine. Stay tuned!

btw, if anyone has ANY history on this car let me know. I've seen the magazine feature that it appeared in, but past its ownership in New Jersey, I'm coming up empty.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 03-31-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    I have some history on the car, I bought it in 2010, seems like an eternity ago....the interior used to be tan, so this certainly is an upgrade, I have a nice set of dash trim, with the basketweave inserts you might like....I did the shifter, I made it run well, not sure what the issues are now, I expect lack of use.

xearch the VIN on this site, you'll get lots of hits, also google the vin

when I bought it, it had been undriven for 8 years prior, I sorted it thoroughly, I put 10,000 miles of highway, track and canyon-carving miles on it, never missed a beat....I did the muffler, I did the SSI's, I did the shifter mods, and a whole lot more.....others who had the challenge of trying to keep up with this car will say it is one heck of a fast car, and a great runner, the few that have driven it will tell you not to change a thing.

I do have an albert blue license plate panel, rear bumpers, and even painted bumperettes, they did NOT come from this car however... contact me by email, I have some previous owner's names, and various used car lots that flipped the car over the years....you might not want to hear some of what I have to say, but you will find out eventually....I drove this car on the targa california, it was a blast, rallies on both coasts, the car never let me down...

PLEASE replace the tires, the toyos on the right side are much newer than those on the left (by 10 years) and I found out after I sold it....but I'd do something about that right away.
    Tires are hard as a rock, and dangerous to be honest. The wheels and the tires are both going. you cant do any aggressive driving with any kind of lateral input with them. It is however, a blast to drive. You were right on that. Did it always reek of gas? I'll zip you an email. thanks a ton.
    Last edited by Kris Clewell; 11-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.

I love the internet. Found the previous owner in 20min
    1971 911E

Quote Originally Posted by crockey View Post
    I love the internet. Found the previous owner in 20min
    yeah I pulled up the vin around the web. I've been snagging all the photos and such. I dont mind some of the things people have done in the past, but things like the orange side markers make me go...what the hell were you thinking?

the gas vent goes up to a little black box under the cowl, which seems to vent to nowhere. theres a clamp there but it doesnt go anywhere currently. I suspect that is a problem.

Name:  8180528060_699167a086_c.jpg
Views: 3113
Size:  292.4 KB

I've removed all the decals, and the driving lights up front. I also removed the rear grille and slapped one off an SC on there for the time being.

Name:  8171312099_01abc5ca60_b.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  130.3 KB
    Last edited by Kris Clewell; 11-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    the gas vent goes up to a little black box under the cowl, which seems to vent to nowhere. theres a clamp there but it doesnt go anywhere currently. I suspect that is a problem.
    Correct, that would be your problem . The vapor box itself could leak at the seams even after your replace the overboard line that looks to be cut off on yours, so check that box for integrity as well.

I recommend getting the proper fuel rated vent hose from the tank to the vapor box and overboard (smaller) one that runs to the front of the car. And use the proper, tightened hose clamps. You should be fume free at that point

Enjoy your new purchase
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Correct, that would be your problem . The vapor box itself could leak at the seams even after your replace the overboard line that looks to be cut off on yours, so check that box for integrity as well.

I recommend getting the proper fuel rated vent hose from the tank to the vapor box and overboard (smaller) one that runs to the front of the car. And use the proper, tightened hose clamps. You should be fume free at that point

Enjoy your new purchase
    the one to the tank is smaller. theres a junction in the middle. where does the other side of the box actually go? do I need to make a hard line to somewhere? thank you for your input!

Let me know what you end up doing with the seats. I might like them for my garage. There's at least 10-20 horsepower hiding them.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Digital, as beh911 says, there should be a hose coming out, but the route the lines take is not straight forward. Do some searching on fuel lines and you will see some posts. No telling what may have been done by others, not sonett43 of course. The lines should be vapor rated and clear, not easy to find. Search my build and you will see examples and a source. If you need the special Y's after figuring it out how they run, I may have extras. The vapor box will come out once you remove the rubber strap. From the looks of yours you will need a new one by the time you get the box out. If the box has cracks along the seam between top and bottom, JB weld will take care of it. Good luck.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Digital, as beh911 says, there should be a hose coming out, but the route the lines take is not straight forward. Do some searching on fuel lines and you will see some posts. No telling what may have been done by others, not sonett43 of course. The lines should be vapor rated and clear, not easy to find. Search my build and you will see examples and a source. If you need the special Y's after figuring it out how they run, I may have extras. The vapor box will come out once you remove the rubber strap. From the looks of yours you will need a new one by the time you get the box out. If the box has cracks along the seam between top and bottom, JB weld will take care of it. Good luck.
    thanks a ton.

spent the evening cleaning out the injectors on the drivers bank of the engine. There may be a vac leak, but a sticky injector may be at fault too considering the PO hardly drove the car. I basically did what I have done to all my old rabbits in the past. I soak them in a can of carb cleaner, and then spray them out with berryman b12. its too late at night, and I'll save my neighbors the distraction and try it out tomorrow.