Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 9112100876

At least the guy who put the muffler on didn't use the expanding foam that the body guy used to cover over all the rust holes
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    At least the guy who put the muffler on didn't use the expanding foam that the body guy used to cover over all the rust holes
    Judging by some of the craftsmanship I've seen elsewhere id figure it to be the same guy.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    A 3.0 SC engine too loud? Are you running that dual exit muffler shown back a few pages? I'd suspect that more than anything else.

well of course. its an M&K RSR muffler. its not too loud, its really awesome, its just sitting on the body of the car. A little time and patience when installing it would have went a long way. its a 3.2 animal now btw, not that it makes a huge difference now I suppose.
    -Kris Clewell

Prof. of Pending Projects
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    well of course. its an M&K RSR muffler. its not too loud, its really awesome, its just sitting on the body of the car. A little time and patience when installing it would have went a long way. its a 3.2 animal now btw, not that it makes a huge difference now I suppose.
    Good to read that. And I saw the video clip a few posts back. Sweet, sweet sound.

I am planning to use something from them for my '81. Headers and muffler just like on this photo:

I hope the sound is similar to what I just heard from yours.

Keep the updates coming!!
    Drive safe!
    Jaime O. Diaz (a.k.a. Wachuko)

1967 - Porsche 912 - Ownership Thread
    1981 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to RS
    1983 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to 1974 RSR 3.0
    1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet - Ownership Thread
    1981 - FIAT Spider - Ownership Thread
    2015 - FIAT 500 Abarth
    2015 - FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
    2012 - BMW X5 xDrive35d

Prof. of Pending Projects
    And the photos of the interior before and after... wow.
    Drive safe!
    Jaime O. Diaz (a.k.a. Wachuko)

1967 - Porsche 912 - Ownership Thread
    1981 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to RS
    1983 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to 1974 RSR 3.0
    1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet - Ownership Thread
    1981 - FIAT Spider - Ownership Thread
    2015 - FIAT 500 Abarth
    2015 - FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
    2012 - BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
    Good to read that. And I saw the video clip a few posts back. Sweet, sweet sound.

I am planning to use something from them for my '81. Headers and muffler just like on this photo:

I hope the sound is similar to what I just heard from yours.

Keep the updates coming!!
    I'll try and get some good sound video at some point. The cell phone mics get blown up by the thing. That looks like a nice muffler. I bet it sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
    And the photos of the interior before and after... wow.

Thanks! It made a huge difference. Those original seats must have weighed 9000 pounds. I could barely operate the hand brake, the idle control, or the heat. in fact, I didnt even know I had an idle lever until I changed the seats out. Speaking of which....it doesnt work right now....

I clearanced the muffler, and while the contrast in the sound isn't black and white, its certainly better, especially on light throttle acceleration. I ended up having to cut about 1/2 an inch around the whole thing to get the bumper to not be resting on the muffler. once I had the bumper off I was able to see that it was essentially burned/melty in a spot. Yikes!

I drove the car quite a bit on tuesday, but none yesterday as it snowed about 10 inches. Cannot believe that. It drives consistently and very very well now. I'm happy. Speedometer quit working. That looks entertaining to replace.

Last edited by Kris Clewell; 04-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    -Kris Clewell

this is officially mystery noise week. what sounded like a failing hydraulic chain tensioner probably isnt. I still had to compress the chain tensioner in a vice so it seems strong. I rechecked my valve adjustment and it was all fine. I'm sick of buying valve cover gasket sets. This whole thing from the time it broke initially till now has been extremely trying, and I'm not sure how much patience I have left. I may just replace the tensioners anyway. whats another bunches of hundreds of dollars? Car still ran fine, makes power, etc. Im lost.

Between this and the sale of my golf, I'm extremely upset. I don't even know where to go from here.... actually I kind of do, but dont like the answer.
    -Kris Clewell

The red silicone gaskets from appbiz are great
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

member #1515
    Could it be your alternator bearing?
    Take the belt off and spin the pulley, Feel any roughness?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Could it be your alternator bearing?
    alternator is brand new.
    -Kris Clewell