Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The start of a few repairs to ol' rusty...

Every time I feel bad about the work going into my S, I get cheered up when I see this 1959 Drauz S ( going back to Meisen Blau) that he is also restoring in the shop. Here you see the front half of the car on the Celette and the back half is up behind it. Not sure how you could put a car like this back together without a bench and the right jig pieces ! They have to rebuild the centre section from scratch.

Name:  i-phone 001 1.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  89.9 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    I just don't think this is possible to do with only a laser level. The FSM called for a bench as well after all.
    If the car has not been hit, this method will be fine. If the car has been hit, that is an entirely different story. This is the reason I took my '72 to Damon to put the shell on his Celette. The laser level is to make sure the car is jacked up evenly and there is no body twist. FSM dimensions are used to make sure the front pick ups are placed properly relative to the front cross-member mounts. This can certainly be done within a millimeter or so. You can then take diagonal measurements to ensure everything is square.

I am sure guys like Ed Mayo or others could comment further. I can't imagine how many pans he and others have done with excellent results.

You car looks great, BTW, and I here Robert Gross is one of the best.
    Last edited by 911scfanatic; 12-11-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Hey Bill, Congratulations on Ol Rusty's renovation... You're going to need a new name for when she's done.
    How bout Ol Sturdy? Ha, never mind. I always love seeing fresh metal going into an old car.

Damon's terrific. Looking forward to more updates
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Yes Bill, you are right. I neglected to note that Ol' Rusty is accident free. That really does make a difference when you don't have to stretch and squeeze the car. If there is a lot of rust and the car was driven hard, torsional bending might have occurred, but a laser level will catch that just fine. The FSM is quite amazing really in the extent to which they detail small patchwork and larger panel replacement. These cars were made to be repaired, not thrown away. Yours will be great some day. Like mine, all it needs is love.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by SERIES900 View Post
    Bill said,"Please feel free to share any tips you may have"

Pecan pie is good in NH. :>)
    I miss the Josz B&B. If they served pecan pie, it would be even better than before.
    Bill G.

Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating

Waiting on suspension pan...

Right now, I'm waiting on the suspension pan. Not a lot of time during the holidays with four kids, parties, etc., but I couldn't resist sneaking out to the garage for a few hours to try my new Eastwood shrinker/stretch...it's awesome. (However, their small bending brake sucks, so I am making flanges the old fashioned way...bending them over the edge of my workbench).

Name:  DSC04889.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  94.6 KB

Since the pan is out, I'm going to take the opportunity to replace all of the inner fender mounting flanges now (easier to stand inside the luggage compartment and move around). They are pretty rotted out. It's also good practice for me before I take to forming the more complicated flanges need to replace the rotten metal on the driver's front corner.

Name:  DSC04890.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  102.0 KB
    Name:  DSC04894.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  102.1 KB
    Bill G.

I've been doing some work on this, but haven't posted any updates in a long time. With four boys, projects have an ebb and flow to them. Winter is perfect project time. Otherwise, I'm enjoying things like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill G.

Today...

The left lateral gas tank support doesn't have the bump out for SWB cars, so I am fab'ing a patch piece to weld into the lateral support.
    Hammer form. Shrink. Use the bad-ass rotary shear from Sykes Pickavant to trim flange. Rough fit.
    I'll do some more massaging to get it to fit better. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm having fun figuring it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bill G.

Go Bill, Go!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Bill, looks good. Tip I would offer is don't weld anything in place until you have it all fitted. Get a box of self tapping sheet metal screws and screw everything together as you build it. Get it perfect then take it apart and put it back together again, slowly. Use liberal amounts of coatings on the inside and seam seal your way out. You will not have to worry about rust ever again. If I ever get time I am going to post pics of my work. There are pics out there showing good examples of what it should look like when done, just like the factory did it. Have fun. And that Trout is awesome!
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"