Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion 2007 Turbo

Opinion 2007 Turbo

I test drove a 20,000 mile 2007 Turbo. Original List $130,000 available now for mid to upper $70s. This particular car was a CPO car with 3 yrs of warranty left. Not a well cared for car but with a little elbow grease could look very slick. While not a wish list car it is nonetheless intriguing as a 2 or 3 year daily driver. The car is flat out docile. You only feel the 485 horsepower when you ask for it yet you still can not hear it. My wife even liked it in comparison to my noisy 69S.

Negatives playing in my head is that it is lacking the athletic feel of the lightweight long hoods or GT3 types I am used to driving. It also felt big with unusable technology, phone specifically.
    Pluses; everyday usability of a affordable modern car with super car power.
    Last edited by Macroni; 11-22-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

How do you feel about seeing yourself on the road when you drive around?

The 997TTs are great cars ... but they bore me.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post

they bore me.
    BINGO! My S is much more exciting and my TDI is better daily transport.......

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Luke

You knew that if you want the compromise get a 997gen II GT3RS and be done with it.i know that is your cup of tea forget the back seat keep the Jetta for that

Raj
    True, I also think the 997.2 GT3RS will become much more affordable with the sexy 991 GT3 arriving in 2013.

Can't......

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Listen you are starting to move the couch around the room stop and leave it on one spot.

Raj
    Wise words...
    -Marco

Couches were made to be moved, they also wear out, I like moving couches....

Happy thanksgiving Marco Raj and your families....
    Last edited by Macroni; 11-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.

East Coast
    "I like moving couches".....no kidding

OG3
    RG715

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    I test drove a 20,000 mile 2007 Turbo. Original List $130,000 available now for mid to upper $70s. This particular car was a CPO car with 3 yrs of warranty left. Not a well cared for car but with a little elbow grease could look very slick. While not a wish list car it is nonetheless intriguing as a 2 or 3 year daily driver. The car is flat out docile. You only feel the 485 horsepower when you ask for it yet you still can not hear it. My wife even liked it in comparison to my noisy 69S.

Negatives playing in my head is that it is lacking the athletic feel of the lightweight long hoods or GT3 types I am used to driving. It also felt big with unusable technology, phone specifically.
    Pluses; everyday usability of a affordable modern car with super car power.
    the positives would be:

- a very fast car, tho lacking the visceral appeal of a GT3 or GT3RS or an early longhood. Or any SC or any Carrera up to '89

- The wheels and styling of the body is dynamic to the eye of the beholding public and to more than a few enthusiasts. You will score points with lounge lizards trolling for men with "extenze " issues

- The warranty is still there... you WILL need it.

- The engine is the GT1 derivative and has a better case than the normal 997.... most RMS / IMS issues are irrelevant in this car as compared to the 996 normals and S cars.

- The thing is quiet compared to the GT3, so if you like that sort of thing and treasure listening to the phone or stereo, it is less intrusive ....... 0-;

- You can easily phone up a mate or use the screen to navigate out of scary neighborhoods.
    - And, bonus round : you can also help keep your local enforcement agency flush with new found wealth from your bank account...... speed will be your newfound friend.
    And enemy.

- PDK is available to those who wish not to be encumbered by a third pedal

- A wonderful palette of vibrant , metallic paint choices

Actually, the things are a downright bargain in spite of all these positives. You cannot go wrong.

UNLESS, you just happen to find that unrusted, perfect '69 S the day after you get it home. And its priced at what you just paid, and the guy selling it wants YOU to have it, just because you look like you need to be rescued from your new car. Instant dilemna, because you have now learned how to hate with newfound measure
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

I've driven enough 997 twin turbos and GT3s to say that the Twin Turbo is not quite the driver's car you're looking for. But the GT3 might be too much of a driver's car for everyday use.

Split the difference and keep the 69S, the TDI, and buy a 2004 996 GT3. That's called a WIN.
    -Marco