Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Momo Prototipo 1966 steering wheel

Thanks very much Doc and you too Richard! I will send you a PM on the buttons --

Huge apologies to Riccardo as I've realized that I have completely highjacked your thread... so sorry!
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    I'm not the only crazy person out there.
    Yes you are.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Let's hear about the horn button..oversize Porsche crest with and w/o the silver rings...
    Inquiring minds wants to know..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    Thanks very much Doc and you too Richard! I will send you a PM on the buttons --

Huge apologies to Riccardo as I've realized that I have completely highjacked your thread... so sorry!
    No problem Mark You 're always welcome with your great competence!

as soon we 're going to the crazy matter of the hbuttons (and the mistery of the rings:::) introducing by PreS and QWkenf .. for crazy people only

Because its you i will order a back issue, bud. I think the entire circulation in newsstands in australia n singapore have soldout !

But you look the bestest among us in a rasta wig, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Yes you are.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Cold hardening or maybe annealing would have taken care of this Don Moretti only needed to hire a japanese katana-smif
    Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Mark

I am surprised you didn't comment on the stress micro fractures on the first hole on the left hand side(3rd photo of original post)unlike your wheel lots of the early wheels used hard tended to show this I believe they addressed that in the manufacturing process in the later wheels

Raj

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

I read such a mycroscopic analysis.. . The wheel have some sign of the time, maybe coming from a hard use for a short time in rally races(early 70's) before coming back to a smooth road handling of a 911coupe. As Varunan says the wheels of that time in racing use suffered sometimes fractures, as the momo prototipo of the early 70's Dino Ferrari 246Gt sometimes broken in a road use also...What you think Mark?

I wouldn't characterize it as a 'fracture'. I call it a stress score -- it is extremely common with these old wheels and obviously most visible with one that has black anodizing. It is likely due to a mild impact on an area of the wheel. It doesn't take much of a whack to get the anodizing to flake off in this manner. That being said, you might want to inspect the left spoke for a possible/probable slight bend.
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 12-03-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I have an old Monza wheel with the same stress scores, in the same spot. They usually seem to be at the 10 o'clock position.

My theory is, they come from someone trying to push and steer the car at the same time (thus, putting too much forward pressure on the wheel); perhaps while moving the car around inside a garage. The spoke gives a bit too much at this weak spot, and these scores form.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    I have an old Monza wheel with the same stress scores, in the same spot. They usually seem to be at the 10 o'clock position.

My theory is, they come from someone trying to push and steer the car at the same time (thus, putting too much forward pressure on the wheel); perhaps while moving the car around inside a garage. The spoke gives a bit too much at this weak spot, and these scores form.
    It's very interesting this ten o'clock theory! JCR Could you post a pic of your Monza wheel? I've one more strong having a 320mm diameter ...
    Last edited by ribachio; 12-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.