Thread: 2012 Panamera Concept

2012 Panamera Concept

Seems that after decades of neglect and lack of new ideas & models, the concept of premium "shooting brake" has become all the rage during the last year or two. Aston-Martin, Bentley, Mercedes, Audi, Maserati, Ferrari, et al, have all had their go at it, with mixed and sometimes very questionable and polarizing results. One would think that Porsche would have made it a point to have a competitive offering for this market segment, not so much for the potential sales / revenue increase such a limited market product would surely generate, but rather for the sake of sheer visibility and bragging rights in the premium, disposable-income luxury-goods niche.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the attached photos in Nicolas Jeannier's interweb site "ARTHOMOBILES" ( which I highly recommend, try googling Arthomobiles.com and see how you like it ), a labor of love wherein he posts elegant and beautifully photographed photo essays of various European Rallies, classic and vintage events, all the prominent new car shows as well as Paris Retromobile, Essen, etc. I have never been as hard-core a Panamera-hater as some on our site have unsolicitedly professed to be ( to the point of being downright in-your-face obnoxious about making bloody well sure we all realized just how much they despised the Panamera ), and must admit that when I saw these shots, I felt that apparently Porsche had taken some of the harshest and perhaps even justified criticism about the Panamera to heart and decided to show the world that the original design maybe isn't as hopelessly flawed and doomed to eventual oblivion as the above types have led us to believe, in other words, I saw a whole new direction in the " Liquid Metallic Blue" Panamera Sports Tourismo model. What I find especially interesting is just how relatively minor the changes observed in the three shots below are to have produced such a dramatically different looking product..........sort of a genuine "Gentlemen's Express" which Porsche's competitors only wish they could create.

Perhaps insufficient favorable feedback was generated by this, in my eyes, quite attractive and sensible exercise, but I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that Porsche has seemingly decided not to pursue this direction further, since none of the subsequent car shows world-wide have shown this model, including the recent local SF show and as far as I know it wasn't at the LA show either.

Does anyone have any additional information or care to share some thoughts and facts about this apparently still-born idea.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 12-04-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    One of the prettiest examples to my eye, of the Panamera.

I do not understand how they would not sell bagloads of these , and increase the product line / profitability of Porsche exponentially.

Home run in my thoughts.
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

Hmm

I just read the latest issue of EVO --- #176, p 014-15 . . . and, as seen at the Paris Show, they had this vehicle identified as a potential candidate for the next Panamera, ~2015 . . . w/ plug-in hybrid drivetrain no less . . . also --- their 'Best of Show'

My first car was a wagon . . . and I remember the RS2, so . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Hi,

Yes, it was first show at the Paris autoshow, I posted photos of it in the forum. I have been surveyed by a Porsche guy about this concept car with about 50 questions (sic!). According to the guy to my sale and as the level of detail (but the interior trims), it should come into production end of 2013, with a price of mid range around 100KEuros. Hybrid engines. This may be a teasing only and of course not official.

This would be my next company car for sure :-)

Cheers
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407