Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 be or not 2 be. Build as a 2.0 or 2.2

Cool 2 be or not 2 be. Build as a 2.0 or 2.2

I recently installed a fresh 2.7 in my 68L. I have the original engine, of which the block (numbers matching) and one of the cam towers is salvageable. Regrettably, the rest is fancy desk art. I am planning on rebuilding the stock motor to factory original specs, however finding 2.0 heads, pistons, and cylinders is about as easy as flying to the moon on a paper airplane. However, 2.2 parts are readily accessible. While I don't plan on building the motor immediately, I'm wondering if it's worth the expense time and effort to find the 2.0 internals, or do I build it with 2.2 internals? Opinions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 912-6 TR Tribute
    1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S
    1991 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 3.8

"if you see a fork in the road, PICK IT UP!"

I would build it as a 2.2.
    Rob Abbott

No 911 motor sounds better than a 2.0 to me but 2.2 is better for performance. 2.0 parts are often cheaper than 2.2 in my experience.

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Mine is 2.2 with Solex cams and it goes great.
    Very streetable and fun on shorter tracks like Lime Rock and NHMS.
    Holds her own with the big dogs in the twisties.

However, when it's time to rebuild I will go back to a 2.0
    - that sound !
    If I was really after a noticable upgrade in performance I would get a different car.

I have found the 2.0 parts more expensive - maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

My experience has been that 2.0 parts are more expensive. I don't plan on using the 2.0 for tracks. i have the 2.7 to fly around in. I'm pretty certain down the road I'll get another SWB or LWB to hot rod. I'm wondering if bumping the car to 2.2 will effect the long term value if i decide to part with it. I'm not too familiar with 2.2s, however I love the sound and lightness of a 2.0.

Thanks for chiming in.
    Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S

I have everything you need, As I have been using only the case and crank from several 67-68 2.0's
    I am north of Seattle. PM me your contact info if you are interested.
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

How about building a 2.0 liter and tweaking it to S spec. to put in your 911L ? I do not think that will effect value or is original performance just as important as engine size. I know if I were looking for a original 911L, S spec 2.0 liter would be a plus. After all the 911L was intended to be the 911S that could pass smog/ DOT regulations for 1968. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beetle08 View Post
    My experience has been that 2.0 parts are more expensive. I don't plan on using the 2.0 for tracks. i have the 2.7 to fly around in. I'm pretty certain down the road I'll get another SWB or LWB to hot rod. I'm wondering if bumping the car to 2.2 will effect the long term value if i decide to part with it. I'm not too familiar with 2.2s, however I love the sound and lightness of a 2.0.

Thanks for chiming in.
    I mostly use mine on the street - NOT real aggressively - that's what the track sessions are for.
    I just do not feel it is safe to really charge on back roads around here in a car anymore.
    I think riding motorcycles has tamed me a bit, though I do take it up a notch on the bikes because I am more worried about hurting others than hurting myself...

But I digress.

My initial point was that if you are using your car on the street for "normal" driving there is not going to be a big difference in performance.
    You would only notice a marked difference with an S version of either motor.
    The S's would be more involving but not really a whole lot more performance than the Normal 2.0 or the 2.2 E ( again - at regular speeds or esp. around town).

The difference in re-sale value is going to be effected in the same way.
    If it is bumped to 2.2 you might lose a little - but probably not more than it would cost to go to 2.0 in the first place. So it would probably be a wash there as well.
    The 2.0 S build would cost the most but the re-sale would also be the higher - but as high as it would cost to do the conversion ?
    I have all the parts to do it but the car drives so nicely for how I use it that I am in no hurry at all to make the conversion.
    But I will do it eventually - because there really is something about the 2.0 engine that is special - and I'm a bit of a purist.

I'll leave it to the hundreds here who know the finer points better than me - but the bottom line is, decide what kind of driving you will be doing with it and how much you want to spend.
    Or the reverse.

Best of luck - you can't go wrong - but you could go broke

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

A 2.0 liter S spec engine on full song is like nothing else. The 2.2 S is almost the same but not as raw. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I have visited the Early S oracle, and the Petrol Gods have praised the 2 liter! Let the hunt begin!

Thanks all,
    Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S