Page 213 of 296 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2954

Thread: What Did You Do to Your 911 Today?

Went down to check out the local PCA autocross today...

John

Name:  67atStadium.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  621.7 KB
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Flogged the old girl and got within .5 seconds of an 06 Cayman on stickies and massive negative camber.

Name:  autoxU.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  66.7 KB
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Now that's what I like to see !!! Put the fear of God in them, they'll know they've been in a fight
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by joetiii View Post
    Flogged the old girl and got within .5 seconds of an 06 Cayman on stickies and massive negative camber.

Way to go!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Started on the speedometer cable replacement and accelerator linkage bushings while I am in there. Speedometer cable because my speedo cable was not working smoothly, and I ended up damaging it. Bushings because I heard an Ed Mayo talk on replacing them and realized that the clanking of the accelerator linkage was not normal.
    Here is the speedometer cable coming off-
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 614
Size:  115.4 KB
    Here are the new bushings:
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  99.5 KB
    Here is where one of the bushings goes-
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  128.2 KB See that little tab? There is supposed to be an old bushing there- nothing. All three of mine had turned to dust apparently. There are three- one by the transmission linkage, one under the emergency brake handle are, and another up by the shifter. I finished installing the bushings, but work came to a halt as I had to order 3 new rubber boots as all had disentegrated. I had replaced these before, so didn't think to check them. Oops. Name:  1.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  122.0 KB
    Will also be an opportunity to properly attach the new boot to the throttle rod coupling. All in all, a very fun project- to be finished next weekend.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I pulled off the rusty muffler and sanded/ repainted with heat temp paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joetiii View Post

Name:  autoxU.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  66.7 KB
    old dog up to its old tricks

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

she touched the ground for the first time in 5 years

Finally completed a couple of things I've wanted to do for a long time but never moved them up to priority status, but with Monterey Car Week starting in a couple of weeks, followed by Rennsport little more than a month later I simply ran out of excuses.

1. Finished installing original OEM RSR-style "GHE" front lid hold-downs which I purchased from my friends at Kundensport a few years ago.

2. Purchased a pair of opriginal Porsche OEM "made in Germany" '75 flag-style mirrors and installed them.

I am not comfortable driving any car that doesn't have two external rear view-mirrors, because at my age it's just not that easy to turn your head to check the blind corners and as much as I liked the large Aluminum Talbots I bought from Aardvark ( they bought the Talbot Company and are selling Talbot mirrors world-wide ) when I first built Ruprecht in '07 I just couldn't see out the right side mirror. The design of the Talbot is such that it simply can't be turned inward far enough to see a sufficiently large area of the right rear and the resultant blind spot, therefore you still had to crane your neck to visually verify noone was hiding / lurking at your 4:00 o'clock. Maybe I should have mounted the Talbots on the front fenders japanese style, ( like on Bruce Jennings's beautiful Cadillac metallic Autumn Brown 911S with the green leather interior ), but I couldn't bring myself to descecrate my perfect original front fenders with new holes which might have not been necessary if that solution didn't work either. The next step was to install two Porsche OEM large Durants. Major improvement as far as seeing out of the right side as well as aesthetically, but I just wasn't completely happy with them.

Now with the new flag mirrors I can finally take in the entire field of view I have always wanted to be able to see on both sides. The new mirrors vibrate less than the Durants, are tinted to surpress flare and ghost images, offer superb rear view vision and use the same holes as the Durants. I submit the only thing to give some serious thought to is the appearance - a lot of my friends claim my choice of flag mirrors destroys the 'purity' and 'authenticity'' (?) of the early longhoods, but I submit that in this case safety is more important than mere looks, besides, my car is all hot-rod, so how bad can one more 'impure' detail be.

Please take note that if anyone else is thinking about a right-side mirror, think long and hard about the location and mounting of the right-side mirror because it does not mount in the same mirror-image - no pun intended - position as the driver's side unit. I'd be happy to do a detailed post of the part numbers to order the correct mirrors, and how and where to mount a passenger side mirror if anyone is interested, but bear in mind that unless you take the time to fit it properly you won't be able to see a damned thing.

See you at the Werks Reunion.

JZG

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-29-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

^^^^^^^^ Niiiiice!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100