Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 model year question for the experts

1973 model year question for the experts

As much as I can determine, in 1972, Porsche painted the smugglers box door body color. I have verified this on original cars and then again the other day when those pics of the factory in '71 building '72 cars were posted (Great pics by the way and thank you). For '73, it looks like Porsche painted the top of the smugglers box door semi gloss black (verified on a couple of original cars including Mr. C. Millers fine example). It appears the door was painted originally in body color and then while the door was off the car...maybe hung up, given a quick spray of semi-gloss black.

Here's my question.....Why would they have gone to the extra effort to paint the smugglers box door semi-gloss black.

Here are some photo's of a door I picked up, notice the spray patterns

Thanks in advance for the help

DM
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Dave. The trunk was painted after the door was put on. However, the quality of the paintwork in the trunk was very hit and miss. By 73 they were getting pretty darn sloppy. I have attached a couple of photos. The green car is a 72S. Notice how thin the paint is.

I love the black car. It is a 73E and notice how the trunk was painted with the smugglers cover open. Even the beige grey T that caused the uproar last week has primer showing through the paint on the wheelwells.

Point being. If you want to be accurate, dont be glossing out the trunk.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Not so fast oh maize armored one. Take a look at the paint spray patterns on the smugglers box I posted. I think you can draw a couple of conclusions.

1. The door was painted body color off of the car....note the yellow paint on the backside of the hinge. If the door was painted on the car, the backside of the hinge (the part that abudts the car body) would not have any paint on it.

2. Note the spray pattern of the black paint...the hinges were painted in the flat position, indicating the piece was probably suspended by those hinges when it was given the quick spray of black.

The big question is why? Why did the factory go to the extra effort to spray the smugglers box door black in 1973.

Theory: The plastic smugglers box doors used on A/C equiped cars were black and they wanted them to look the same.

I gotta think the reason lies somewhere with the inclusion of A/C. By 1973, I gotta think A/C was an option being ordered by more and more customers.

The maize armored one noted in a side conversation that the RS's had body colored smugglers box doors.

Here is a 73 911S untouched.
    73 911T Gold
    71 911T Lt Ivory

Cabot's picture dispels my A/C theory as this car has A/C (Note windshield wiper bottle placement) and yet the smugglers box door is body color.

Cabot: When was your car built? maybe it has something to do with when the cars were built

My 73 Car with factory A/C like Cabot's. Don't know about the plastic cover you are referring to.
    Looks like the cover was black before installation then oversprayed (silver) when the trunk was.
    Also, the underside has a thin coat of silver. Looks like it was sprayed when the inside of the box was, then closed for some overspray.

Do you have any better photos?
    I can't see the body color on the mounting side of the hinges that you refer to.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 01-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.

member #1515
    I recall mine being originally satin black. It was then painted body color when repainted. Why? probably the door wasn't fitted until after a/c and/or steering were installed. Way after the rest of the car was painted, this avoided having many different colors of lids. Once everything was installed they put a satin black lid on.
    Also notice that the VIN number in the trunk was also satin black.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Here is mine 2.4S delivered 09/1973 ... the back looks kind of anodized. The white paint should have been laid when it was not in place.

Name:  smugglerbox.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  57.5 KB
    Name:  smugglerbox_2.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  55.6 KB
    Last edited by Biancaneve; 01-09-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: wrong built date
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Seems we have examples of just about every variation.

1. Top painted black, bottom body color (That's mine)

2. Top and bottom body color (Harvey and Cabot)

3. Top in primer, bottom in black (painted with the smugglers box door open...Dave's pic)

3. Top and bottom black

Harvey:
    The black plastic smuglers box cover I was referring to was included on some A/C cars. It has a high center to accommodate the fan motor that sits in the smugglers box....today you very rarely see these as the black plastic did not age well and most are broken.

Factory, circa 1972...

I wonder if the open beer in the engine room in this photo was from a lunch break with the paint guys...

I am so guilty of the searching out the truth myself, and sometimes I need a reminder that they may not have cared as much about some of the stuff we fret over...

Name:  sm72pf00267tm.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  40.5 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624