Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat options on early 911s.

Seat options on early 911s.

I thought that I should start a new thread on this issue in the interests of not prolonging my 'welcome' (or over doing it).

Seats: Supposing I can get some decent originals and have them re-trimmed in a period (circa '68) manner, will these seats be effective and supportive (for everyday driving, not racing)? OR should I be looking at repros, such as BF Torinos, Vintage, Historika, etc., for such an outcome?

I also see that Pelican have seat base and backrest covers - have any folk used these on their old frames and cushions?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

The best you can get will probably also be the most expensive.
    That means a non-reuphostered Sport seat where the original foam is still in good shape and only the belts have been redone would be my favourite.
    I personally don't like bf torino - cheap made and no comfort for me (with 10 kg less perhaps)
    Cheers

Uli

Yes tough decision. I am waiting on some original seat info but also spoke with Phil today re the Torinos.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

The stock comfort seats are comfortable but aren't really that supportive. I have them in my targa and I find myself hanging off the steering wheel when pressing on. However, I have seen a cleverly retrimmed set with different foam densities which were much better. They looked stock when static but deformed into more of a sport seat shape when you sat in them.

I find the original sports seats pretty supportive and very comfortable, but they come at a price...

The various repros are popular but some cost almost as much as the real deal.

I think the cobras are good value. They also look correct with either the central vinyl or the cord, and houndstooths and tartans are readily available if you want to retrim the centres.

Another option is to cut down some modern racing seats and then trim them in a period style.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I agree with Ryan - and I 've brieflydriven his Targa!

Since doing my seats I feel I am sitting on the car (and this includes a 2.2s with beautifully redone sports seats) as opposed to in it (as I do with my car)

I use my car in the odd regualrity event, but its primarily a tourer (I've driven in a group to Phillip Island from Sydney). The seats were comfortable enough, but offered wonderful support. Its horses for courses of course and the seats have been in nearly 3 years, but I am very happy I went down this upgrade route. There are a few things I'd do differently, but I'm happy now.

I've attached a few pictures below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with Justin. And Ryan hasn't let me drive any of his stable...

Nurburgring fixed back, perforated leather and tartan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Reedminor are yours the Torino Rally ST seats? Good point Ryan, about re-trimming some original seats with different foam densities for more support. I am keen to retain a period look in the car (which is not there in the present '74 tombstone seats) and also to have head restraints. I am still on the look out for good originals.

However, I am getting confused by the various repro seat names and claims. I seem to find that the closest repros to early 'Sports' Recaro seats are the Nurburgring R and the Le Mans (http://shop.bf-torino.com/shop_start/ ). The Le Mans perhaps the most. Is that a correct assumption? The standard, non-reclining Nurburgring and the cheaper Cobra seat look very similar, however, they don't allow folding access to the rear seats?

Nurb R.png Nurburgring R

Le Mans.png Le Mans
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    And Ryan hasn't let me drive any of his stable...
    Sorry kitten, are your feelings hurt?

Come to sydney and take your pick!
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

[QUOTE=Merv;616877]Reedminor are yours the Torino Rally ST seats? Good point Ryan, about re-trimming some original seats with different foam densities for more support. I am keen to retain a period look in the car (which is not there in the present '74 tombstone seats) and also to have head restraints. I am still on the look out for good originals.

However, I am getting confused by the various repro seat names and claims. I seem to find that the closest repros to early 'Sports' Recaro seats are the Nurburgring R and the Le Mans (http://shop.bf-torino.com/shop_start/ ). The Le Mans perhaps the most. Is that a correct assumption? The standard, non-reclining Nurburgring and the cheaper Cobra seat look very similar, however, they don't allow folding access to the rear seats?

[QUOTE]

Here a pic on how Le Mans seats in corduroy actually look on my 1973 2.4 S.
    P1060568.JPG
    Last edited by Biancaneve; 01-15-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    However, I am getting confused by the various repro seat names and claims. I seem to find that the closest repros to early 'Sports' Recaro seats are the Nurburgring R and the Le Mans (http://shop.bf-torino.com/shop_start/ ). The Le Mans perhaps the most. Is that a correct assumption?
    No the Model "Sport S" from d'eser is more accurate than a bf torino.
    sport_s_fintapelle_perforata_basketwave[1].jpg
    However, if you want a 68 look and sum up the cost for a deser seat and bracket and still haven't got the correct look for a 68 at around 70% of the cost of a genuine seat - I'd rather take my time and wait for a bargain on genuine seats or have the passenger sit on a standard and have a genuine sports for the driver.
    With GRP buckets it is a bit different: for the pedantic there is still much difference between originals and repros, but at least the shape of the replicas is (often) correct but the gelcoat most of the time too glossy - and don't forget about the costly original $lider$.
    But again the foam on d'eser Buckets is cheap quality -I'd rather opt for the the US guys: see http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...read.php?42993 there are more options than necessary

Cheers

Uli
    Last edited by uai; 01-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.