Thread: 1973 Edmonton TransAm

1973 Edmonton TransAm

Some Edmonton Journal news clippings from the race where Peter Gregg captured the championship. Hopefully these will be readable when the forum software downsizes the pics. If not, I'll try to load them differently.

edmonton journal 19730816.jpg

edmonton journal 19730818 peter gregg.jpg

edmonton journal 19730817.jpg

edmonton journal 19730820 trans am.jpg

edmonton journal 19730824.JPG

Looks like that full page scan needs to be cut up in pieces to make it readable ...

edmonton journal 1973 1A.jpg

edmonton journal 1973 1B.jpg

edmonton journal 1973 1C.jpg

edmonton journal 1973 1D.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 01-19-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Thumbs up

WOW, GREAT articles Curt……..

A couple of things I remember relating to two of the pieces posted…

- In the first article Milt says he’s was afraid of flying, and getting motion sickness when not in control of the airplane:

Almost 15 years ago I was helping instruct at a PCA/LA drivers ed weekend and we were honored to have Davey Jordan, Pete Zimmerman, and Milt Minter as ‘guest instructors’
    The drill was for the instructors to drive the student’s cars for a few laps instructing while driving, then doing the same while the student drove.
    Both Pete Zimmerman and Milt didn’t make it through their third laps with their students driving…. Watching 2 different Porsches pulling off the track, passenger doors open and VERY experienced men getting rig of their breakfast…. To be far, this happens allot with instructors and new inconsistent, herky-jerky students.

- In the article “Milt Minter ‘improving’

I believe this was in or about 1969. My friend Hector and I were at Willow Springs on a open practice day and we saw Scooter Patrick’s, Auto Zipper 2 lt. Alfa 33 lapping the track REALLY fast. To our surprise we saw Scooter’s friend and competitor, Milt Minter climb out (very slowly) and walk over to a massage table to get a neck massage. After awhile he jumped back in and ended up turning (on my stopwatch) a 1:19 …. That was REALLY fast in for a 2 lt. race car in ‘69.
    Years ago I spoke with Milt and Scooter separately about that day. Milt said “Oh yeah, that was right after I broke my neck and old Auto Zipper hired a masseuse for me… that was nice”. Scooter said “Oh yeah, I had a pretty bad crash just before and couldn’t test Zipper’s 33… and that was first and last time anyone else ever drove that car… I was good it was Milt”

These were iron men........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

That particular crash was at the Edmonton race in Holbert's RSR. Flipped it on the last lap after he "drove a spectacular race"!

Thumbs up

That particular crash was at the Edmonton race in Holbert's RSR.
    WOW... That means a later race and maybe a different vertebra................. IRON MEN
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I think its interesting to observe the car destroyed in the Minter crash was Al Holbert's, #14 Porsche Carrera RSR, one of eight factory prototypes (R3, 911 360 0307). This car was first raced at the 1973 Daytona 24 hours by the Penske team drivers Mark Donohue and George Folmer. The car was retired with a burned piston and subsequently sold to Holbert. It should have been identical specification to the race winning Brumos car of Hurley Haywood and Peter Gregg. It was painted in dark blue (Ossiblau?) Sunoco sponsorship livery as well as Holbert's Porsche+Audi dealership logos. Al Holbert achieved 2nd place in the 1973 Trans-Am series in this car.

This significant car met its fate in the final Trans-Am endurance race of 1973 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, a city in which I now reside. Sadly, the Edmonton International Speedway ceased to be in 1982...

The remains of R3, Carrera RSR 360 0307 were subsequently rebuilt by Holbert using a 911T shell and raced in the 1974 season. I understand the car was crashed and rebodied yet again later in its race history.

The historically significant original spec Brumos car, which raced and won (1st Over All) at the Daytona 24 hours, in the first outing for a Porsche 911 Carrera RSR spec car, was factory Carrera RSR Prototype R4, 911 360 0328. After the Daytona 24 Hours it was returned to the factory and "dismantled" presumably for study and development of the series production RSR race car series.

Another factory prototype, Martini Team Porsche Carrera RSR R6, 911 360 0588, was the overall winner of the 1973 Targa Florio, the last of the great open road races.

It would be nice to discover more details of Al Holbert's and R3's 1973 racing season.