Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Pipers 917

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    its not quite the same, but I drove bobs early 65 911 after our shoot for total911. I was scared out of my mind, but was careful and really appreciated the opportunity.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

There is too little information in the article to pass judgement on Mark Hales in my eyes. 8200 rpm is not a missed shift....it's not even an overrev.

There is another article that states there was a gearbox issue that caused the "problem". I suspect the issue(s) are rooted in poor maintenance or a lack of maintenance.

Piper charged 3500 to drive his car. He bears no apparent liability when a lack or maintenance could very well have caused both the reason for going to 8200 as well as the damage when Hales went past the "magic" 7000 rpm.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

Here is a link to a statement from Hales legal team: http://www.trackdriver.com/Response%...0v%20Hales.pdf
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

And here is a link to a fund to raise the money Mark Hales owes Piper: http://www.indiegogo.com/fixthe917
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . not going to change my position, but I do believe Chris Harris hit the nail on the head when he said that the driver should give what he can and the owner should absorb the rest . . .

. . . Since that day I've never borrowed any vehicle at a racetrack, but I learned a valuable lesson . .
    Hmm

I think it'll be a while before I see any of Mr Piper's cars come out, again . . . at speed

We Can Be Heroes

From the statement;

 The failure by Mr Piper to keep any maintenance records whatsoever. Not surprised

 Mr Piper’s reliance on an invoice dated the 30th February, in which the issuer
    misspelt his own name.

 Mr Piper’s reliance on cash payments which could not be substantiated.
    There was no proof of payment whatsoever for any of the bills. WOW, judgment awarded without invoices of work done? Is this accurate?
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

This whole thing smells fishy. I think the journalist might want to look at his lawyer for not requiring evidence and testimony. He is also stupid for not carrying at least some insurance.

On the other hand, Piper seems like some sort of high-end slip and fall guy - cash payments, no records, etc. wouldn't even cut it in small claims court. Now the journalist is sending out a plea for $:

Where is the evidence on

Maintenance records?

Past history; including, every past driver, and their over rev history?

The factory "life spanned" parts -- rods, everything else. How many parts were over their life span? He is likely liable for depreciated rates not replacement cost?

According to the factory, the 917s were rated to 8,500 RPM, this grenaded less than.

Piper entered into a commercial enterprise, which implies at least SOME risk and liability

He then profited from its sale?

This guy didn't break this car. Rather, it broke when he was driving it.

Interesting..... thanks Yale. I feel for Mr Hales. It is a shame but in my opinion it appears he should have sued Octane magazine to invoke their coverage (deep pockets).
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

My understanding: Hales was not hired by Octane. He was a freelancer and sold the story to many magazines.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    My understanding: Hales was not hired by Octane. He was a freelancer and sold the story to many magazines.

likely true. not many staff mag folks now. its mainly contributors and freelancers. cheaper that way for the magazines.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1