Page 53 of 275 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: 911S/911L Cars for Sale

John Glynn did a nice article on the car. The price is what someone is willing to pay.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have been watching (and admiring) that "L" for some time now -- somewhere this week I saw it listed at $149k --
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Ref . . .

From the Canepa site . . .

VIN = 11805364
    Eng# = 3281193
    Trans# = 3282235 - type = 901/05

* Special factory rally options
    * Porsche Certificate of Authenticity
    * Numbers matching survivor
    * Short wheel base 911
    * Rare rally car with all original body panels
    * FIVA A3 Identity Card and Certification
    * Displayed at the Quail Motorsports Gathering
    * Eligible and sought after entry for rallies, events, and shows . . .

. . . Ernest Messenger was drawn to the world of rally racing. He knew he wanted to compete, and he knew he wanted to be competitive. In 1968 the Porsche 911 was the perfect weapon to challenge the rallies of the U.S. and Europe. Having taken 1st and 2nd at the Rally Monte Carlo the 911 was proving to be a fierce opponent. So in early 1968 an order was placed for a Porsche 911 with a long list of factory rally options. The car was built in June of 1968 and on its completion Mr. Messenger travelled to Germany to collect his 911 L and drive it throughout Europe.

At some point everything changed and Messenger decided that his coveted Porsche wasn't going to be raced after all. Instead the future of the rare short wheel base car was to be limited to driving only on the open road during weekend excursions. The 911L lived this pampered lifestyle until Mr. Messenger sold the car in 2003 showing only 99,500 miles. It has been in only two collectors hands ever since.

Thanks to Mr. Messenger’s change of heart we now have the fortune of presenting a numbers matching, rally spec survivor that is in excellent condition.

The car has undergone an extensive mechanical restoration and inspection to insure that all systems are in proper running condition. The original patina of the body and interior was not touched. The trunk, undercarriage and suspension have been refinished. The original engine and transmission have been completely rebuilt and upgraded. This 911L is ready for vintage racing, tours, or shows.

Porsche Certificate of Authenticity Options List:

* US Equipment, Side Marker Reflectors
    * Limited Slip Differential
    * Engine Compartment Light with Chrome Lid
    * Blaupunkt Radio "New York" with Speaker and Manual Antenna
    * Roll Bar
    * Tool Bin (in rear seat area)
    * Tinted Windshield, Side Glass, and Rear Window
    * Halogen Fog Lights - White
    * Skid Plates for Front suspension, Engine, and Transmission

All of these items are still on the car.

Upgrades

* 911R style 100 litre endurance fuel tank
    * 7x15 911R rear wheels
    * Period correct racing seats, new racing seat belts
    * New H1 Headlights
    * Rebuilt engine to 2.2 specifications with new pistons and cylinders, Carrillo rods, and a new Elgin (906/S) cam. The heads have been ported and flowed, racing exhaust, MSD ignition, Turbo chain tensioners have been added.

http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...d-7439859.html

(Not mine)

We Can Be Heroes

With all that talk about period correctness in the ad, why was it not rebuilt correctly and why was it not put on a proper set of XWX instead of the modern low-profile tires? Carrera tensioners are specifically outlawed for early cars at many events and the MSD is excluded too. 7R's are not conform the homologation sheet, that says 5,5.

For 150k what's it going to be, "Period (FIVA/FIA) hotrod" or "usual US hotrod"? I think the "confused" spec is what's holding a sale back. A shame really, because it seems to have been a proper time-warp gem. No offence meant to whoever worked on it but I think it would sell in a heartbeat if it was still untouched.

edit: yes I understand the mods are easily reversible. But I don't see the buyer at this level swapping a set of tensioners back before going to the track
    Last edited by Stevie; 10-07-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typing error

I originally found and had the restoration work done as it did need it. It did run period race rubber but it was changed. The MSD and tensioners are allowed here in the US. Some other things have been changed since I owned it but for those who remember it was a car that was often emulated by others. The items are small to change back and it is a great car. I am actually thinking of buying it back. 150 is a deal. You guys in Europe are missing a lot of boats lately

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    I am actually thinking of buying it back. 150 is a deal. You guys in Europe are missing a lot of boats lately
    Don
    Sounds good! Hope to see it driving again! I'm sure we are...

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    I originally found and had the restoration work done as it did need it. It did run period race rubber but it was changed. The MSD and tensioners are allowed here in the US. Some other things have been changed since I owned it but for those who remember it was a car that was often emulated by others. The items are small to change back and it is a great car. I am actually thinking of buying it back. 150 is a deal. You guys in Europe are missing a lot of boats lately

Don
    +1... I would have to agree. I don't think that these modest changes would hurt the sale of this car either. There is just too much right about the car. I'm not sure that's how I would choose to market this car with the professional looking signage and all.
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 10-08-2012 at 05:17 AM.

That was a sporty looking sign, no doubt. A file? Pink one at that!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

1969 Targa 911S

NOT MINE. Is Morrisville, NC in the mountains, you know moonshine, thin air, etc.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item416cdd2c99
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

"With good early cars fetching over $100,000, there is enough room as priced to do a light restoration and still be on the right side of market value."

"It still has its original front fenders but has been fitted with SC quarter panels and a fiberglass rear spoiler and bumper. These are pretty easy to swap out and can be sold to offset the cost of returning the car to factory specification."

"And a partridge in a pear tree"…
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111