Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing 9113300092 and myself..

Jean -Luc welcome to the forum ,my name is Bert ,I recently visited your country in Feb of last year stayed most of the time in Sandton outside of Joburg
    but also visited Capetown for the weekend ...might I say very beautiful country !
    You look to have come across a decent starting point for a nice example good luck with your improvements it sounds as though you have an astute eye...
    Year before last I sold '73 S 212 wish I could have kept it ,but some must leave to preserve the herd! Still have a '68 and '69 S also '72 T with 911/83 ..
    Bert

Quote Originally Posted by ST Man View Post
    Ok so I did the creepy thing and did a facebook search, and now i know where we have met before. Will probably see Graham at Zwartkops races this weekend. Dont think he will miss it.
    Car looks nice hope theres many happy miles
    Ha ha, thought it was you.

Yes, I am sure Graham will be at Zwartkops on the weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by budge96 View Post
    Jean -Luc welcome to the forum ,my name is Bert ,I recently visited your country in Feb of last year stayed most of the time in Sandton outside of Joburg
    but also visited Capetown for the weekend ...might I say very beautiful country !
    You look to have come across a decent starting point for a nice example good luck with your improvements it sounds as though you have an astute eye...
    Year before last I sold '73 S 212 wish I could have kept it ,but some must leave to preserve the herd! Still have a '68 and '69 S also '72 T with 911/83 ..
    Bert
    Hi Bert,

yes, we do have a beautiful country. The guys in Cape Town have all the great driving roads though..

The car is decent with all the right bits, however the paint work is shiny on top but was badly done in most other places. That will get attended to when I do the body.

Quote Originally Posted by budge96 View Post
    Bert
    Hi Bert,

Yes, we do have a beautiful country, but the guys in Cape Town have all the great driving roads..

The car is decent and has all the right bits, but the paint work was badly done in most other places. That will get attended to when I get the body done later.

The car had a general lack of maintenance over the years, due to, most likely, some backyard mechanics, and just sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hmm

Well, first off --- I have no listing for a dealer in Culver City for 1972. There was a Culver City dealer --- Competition Motors . . . but that outfit closed the year before

However . . . I do have a listing for a distributor there, in '72 --- Volkswagen Pacific, Inc. Does your information from Porsche include an address? That would help

As for what the 'UA' stands for . . . you might ask your source at Porsche for a definition. It may not be for a dealer

HtH

PS More pictures of your car, please!
    this is the info, I have got from Porsche South Africa. I really don't know what that UA means. I will see if I can get an address or further info.
    Name:  prod #.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  118.5 KB

Here are a few more pics.

Name:  IMGP3341.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  116.8 KB
    Engine bay (have cleaned it up a bit since. Also fitted new distributor cap, points and rotor. New cables and spark plugs)

Some of the horror stories below :

Name:  IMGP3379.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  119.2 KB
    cracket CV boots. Same on other side. Grease has spewed everywhere.

Name:  IMGP3381.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  106.0 KB
    seized rear calipers, wrong colour (Currently being replated and rebuilt). More grease from CV joint boot, scored brake disc (Replaced and Parking brake assembly cleaned and adjusted)

Name:  IMGP3401.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  135.2 KB
    Damaged rear sway bar mount. Sway bar is also completely missing.

Name:  IMGP3397.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  108.3 KB
    Silicone on oil return pipes (these will be replaced shortly) and crank bolt (Pulled stud??)

the UA is indeed an internal dealer code.

For the US this has been my understanding (to date) of the dealer codes and the dealers that each represent. The information was pieced together from various examples of the RS / RSR cars in 1973 with some other input. It was worked through on a thread on the board about US delivered RS's and without this board i dont think it would have been known about - I certainly would not have been aware of all of the information. as shown below I am not now certain that it is exactly correct and is probably a good exercise to work through to help decode some of this extra information sometimes available on our cars.

USA
    UA- Johnson
    UL- Art Bunker
    UF- Harmon?
    UJ- Brumos
    UH- Hagestadt
    UD- Holbert
    UC- Hilligoss?

So IF this is an accurate list the UA may represent Johnson-Bozzani In Phoenix AZ.

However it is a small list of dealers (Germany had 6) and while Johnson-Bozzani May have been the dealer, and the others named above may also have been the dealers assocaiated with the respective codes my suspicion is that the codes refer to a level higher up in the chain - the "exclusive distributors", rather than authorized dealers.

this is a 1973 list of these in the US
    Name:  New Picture (1).jpg
Views: 427
Size:  53.4 KB

IF CORRECT, This would mean that UA was Volkswagen of America limited - Western region - Culver City California which covered Arizona and Johnson-Bozzani as well as California, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah.

My knowledge of the full identities and geography of the dealerships mentioned above from the RS thread is not good enough to say whether each one of those dealers falls within a different "exclusive distributor" on the list above or not. If so it may nail exactly what the dealer code represents. If not maybe it is the actual dealers although i would be very surprised if each dealer got their own code as there were only 26 combinations to choose from in the code given that U probably stands for USA and it is a two letter code.

Similarly UJ would not mean Brumos but instead Volkswagen of America, South eastern division, Porsche Audi division, Lanham, Maryland
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hi Hugh,

Thanks a lot for the great information.

I have found this invoice below on the net which seems to link Johnson-Bozzani to Volkswagen of America - Culver City.

Got it on the following web site. http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_...ani_pa_dehaven

Name:  25561440.VWPorsche9140431571Invoice.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  80.8 KB

that is correct ...BUT Culver city covered 5 states
    In AZ, apart from Johnson-Bozzani, there were 2 other dealers / dealer locations. in California there were 41 dealers / dealer locations; in Nevada there were 2, in Hawaii there was one, and in Utah there were 2 according to the list I have. IF the "dealer code" applied to the "exclusive distributor" the some code would be on all of the cars sold at all of those dealerships.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    that is correct ...BUT Culver city covered 5 states
    In AZ, apart from Johnson-Bozzani, there were 2 other dealers / dealer locations. in California there were 41 dealers / dealer locations; in Nevada there were 2, in Hawaii there was one, and in Utah there were 2 according to the list I have. IF the "dealer code" applied to the "exclusive distributor" the some code would be on all of the cars sold at all of those dealerships.
    Thanks for clearing that up. And thanks again for making some sense of this "Mystery".

Is there any way to get informaton from Culver city, as to the final dealer where the car was sold and who the 1st owner was?