Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily driver 71s . Madness ?

Daily driver 71s . Madness ?

I'm living in Berlin now and needed a car to use .
    Scouring the classifieds and talking to friends for weeks , I came across a great matching numbers 71S .
    I'm going to use it as my daily driver . I won't miss the creature comforts etc but I can't help wondering is this insanity ?
    Anyone do this , opinions ?

NO, of course it's not insanity. It's what the car was intended for.

Maintain it meticulously, give it the best, fresh oil available every 5,000 or so kilometers, don't lug the engine, drive it sensibly......... and enjoy it to the fullest !!

After you have arranged for suitable insurance coverage, there's not one single, good & compelling reason not to have this car be a daily driver.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 02-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

My Hero!

For me, there are only two Really Big draw-backs to running an Early 911 every day . . .

The 1st has to do w/ values + insurance. I just renewed my Collector policy for $105k --- and I have some mileage + usage riders. By itself, the premium isn't a big deal. But balling-up the car? . . . would be huge. Not an easy car to replace. Tends to keep one just-that-much-more 'focused' when dealing w/ traffic

The 2nd has to do w/ utility. I'm OK using/operating/living with Old Cars. But --- I'm an idiot. Service, spares, idiosyncrasies of operation, etc . . . not something Most People are ready + willing to put up with. And running a stone-cold-blooded MFI'd S-car w/ a 'bag o' antlers' 901 'box on a rainy day? . . . . in traffic? . . . at night? . . .

. . . ask yourself . . . .

Is All This really worth it?

Oh HELL YES!

Driving it for the first few times may be a bit of a chore/torture/shock, but? ------ practice makes perfect

Just make sure to weather-/rust-proof the snot out of it . . .

. . . and get the best 'cost-of-replacement' insurance you can

Now

Share some pictures of your prospect?

HtH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-01-2013 at 07:46 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Buy the car and a bicycle ,transportation pass or a winter beater for commuting. As an owner of a 71S, fabulous on a clear day on an open road. Hellacious in stop and go traffic, rain, sleet, heat, dark nights etc. Not to mention the potential for rust, theft, need for garage space, insurance, winter wear and tear ,potential downtime for repairs, etc. But absolutely buy it and figure/sort out the logistics.

What I can tell you is that I feel much more at ease in urban environment with my little 2.4S than with my mighty 964 Turbo 3.6 ... so, having nerves and adequate wallet ... why not?

Bravo!

P.S. having said that, I don't use either of them for commuting, I'm a big public transport fan.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post
    . . . Hellacious . . . Not to mention the potential for . . . theft . . .
    Oh, yeah . . . .

Get a heavy-duty alarm + immobilizer + tracker . . . w/ a pager

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post

Maintain it meticulously, give it the best, fresh oil available every 5,00 or so kilometers, don't lug the engine, drive it sensibly......... and enjoy it to the fullest !!

After you have arranged for suitable insurance coverage, there's not one single, good & compelling reason not to have this car be a daily driver.

JZG
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    My Hero!

For me, there are only two Really Big draw-backs to running an Early 911 every day . . .

The 1st has to do w/ values + insurance. I just renewed my Collector policy for $105k --- and I have some mileage + usage riders. By itself, the premium isn't a big deal. But balling-up the car? . . . would be huge. Not an easy car to replace

The 2nd has to do w/ utility. I'm OK using/operating/living with Old Cars. But --- I'm an idiot. Service, spares, idiosyncrasies of operation, etc . . . not something Most People are ready + willing to put up with. And running a stone-cold-blooded MFI'd S-car w/ a 'bag o' antlers' 901 'box on a rainy day? . . . . in traffic? . . . at night? . . .

Oh HELL YES!

Driving it for the first few times may be a bit of a chore/torture/shock, but? ------ practice makes perfect

Now

HtH
    Thank you gents , i thought as much . Just has a wobble when my fell on the floor in hysterics calling me mad ...
    The car has been weather / rust proofed etc , is on winter tyres and seems solid as a rock . Im really looking forward to it tbh with you , thanks for the tips but I have 2 questions .
    1 / what is lugging the engine ?
    2/ fresh oil every 500 or 500km ?
    thanks again
    b

heres the old girl in question as requested :

i cant reply to my own thread !
    i keep getting the " mods need to approve message " when my post is long or i try to post pics ?

thanks for the tips gents , car is parked in both locations underground and has a good alarm but i didnt understand if you meant
    oil change every 500 km ?
    also what is " lugging " the engine ? sorry but im not familiar with this term .
    regards
    b

one more thing , i dont really commute its about a half hour drive either way with a little bit of city and mostly nice sweeping roads and my travel times do not match the rush hour traffic luckily .

here are the requested pics

Last edited by Wtdoom; 02-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post

Maintain it meticulously, give it the best, fresh oil available every 5,00 or so kilometers, don't lug the engine, drive it sensibly......... and enjoy it to the fullest !!

JZG
    My Hero!

The 1st has to do w/ values + insurance. I just renewed my Collector policy for $105k --- and I have some mileage + usage riders. By itself, the premium isn't a big deal. But balling-up the car? . . . would be huge. Not an easy car to replace. Tends to keep one just-that-much-more 'focused' when dealing w/ traffic

Oh HELL YES!

Now

HtH
    Quote Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post
    Buy the car and a bicycle ,transportation pass or a winter beater for commuting. As an owner of a 71S, fabulous on a clear day on an open road. Hellacious in stop and go traffic, rain, sleet, heat, dark nights etc. Not to mention the potential for rust, theft, need for garage space, insurance, winter wear and tear ,potential downtime for repairs, etc. But absolutely buy it and figure/sort out the logistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    What I can tell you is that I feel much more at ease in urban environment with my little 2.4S than with my mighty 964 Turbo 3.6 ... so, having nerves and adequate wallet ... why not?

Bravo!

P.S. having said that, I don't use either of them for commuting, I'm a big public transport fan.
    Oh, yeah . . . .

Get a heavy-duty alarm + immobilizer + tracker . . . w/ a pager
    thanks gents all duly noted !
    fyi the car is a good strong runner in very good condition . we are here for about a year and the car only goes to 2 locations both of which are very secure ( underground parking etc ).
    just 2 questions from the above please
    oil change every 500 km or 500 ?
    what is lugging the engine ( not a term im familiar with sorry ).

A friend who has a shop in LA serviced a '71S used as a commuter from new. After about 180K miles, the owner had worn out the S engine and swapped it for a T engine and put another 100K+ miles on it until retiring the car. That's something to consider. If it were me, I might want to keep the miles lower on the engine, and throw something with more torque in there... YMMV
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute