Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts on a turbo car- Ruf or Real

Quote Originally Posted by john rice View Post
    First, don't buy any 930 without an thorough PPI by a mechanic that has excellent and specific 930 experience. These are not "really" just 911s mit turbochargers. These have numerous and complicated sub systems that have to be functioning correctly or you end up spending more like Ferrari money for upkeep and repair. Don't for a minute think you are going to own and use one of these for SC/Carrera money. If you do, that will only be because you are neglecting it and sooner or later the bills will come due. A good many of them have needs either via neglect or run hard, etc. You can see and drive one that has broken rings, etc and it will run reasonably fine. I have owned several and all but one had needs. Only one of them had superficially obvious issues, but all were $$$ to get right.

Nothing wrong with modded 930s. In fact, most 930 enthusiasts consider them as simply the base platform for building a great performance car. Ruf did nice work but it is now old technology and the components are aging with intense heat cycles on them. A GOOD modded 930 is a better car. However I am talking about cars to use and drive, not collectors cars.

Also, have you driven these cars? A stock USA 930 is needy. Soft cam timing and compression..and tuning.. , wide gearing, heavy clutches etc..make them ... well, the choice is having a "collector" car that basically sits in the garage to be adored or having an enthusiast 930 that is fantastic to drive. The Ruf has the much needed 5 speed, should also have the superior Ruf sport clutch setup, and hopefully a "Ruf" kit on the engine/chassis. There should be specific records verifying what was done to any "Ruf car" but Ruf does not send out built sheets. They do sometimes verify information but the seller should have specific documents. [Don't take the Ruf 5 speed kit lightly. It includes the transx, complete clutch/flywheel, and Ruf shifter. I spent well over $10k setting mine up and got a "deal" at the time. When I last checked just the transx cost $14,500.]

Be careful about emissions. In California they are a real PIA with emissions standards that are far stricter than the cars originally were required to pass. Here they are all assigned in the BAR "High Emitter" list and can only be tested by more strict standards. In other words, if you are in a state with strict emissions, don't accept a smog certificate as meaning you won't have issues when your turn for emissions testing comes. Insist on an independent tests so you know someone isn't doing things under the table. Ignoring this can become a nightmare.

Again, you cannot be too careful. There are a lot of modded 930s that were not done well, or poorly cared for. Find and drive a good one and you are spoiled for life.

Good Luck
    JR
    Very sound advice. 930s are some of the most difficult cars to get right, but when they're right, they're OH. SO. RIGHT.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Yeah why choose just buy both
    Last edited by irwin; 08-15-2013 at 06:25 AM.

I owned a stock '81 930 when I lived in Germany. On the unrestricted autobahn it was huge fun. On secondary roads the very tall-geared 4-speed and massive turbo lag were just frustrating. I contemplated importing it to the U.S. when I returned, but it was clear to me that to enjoy it in the U.S. it would need a bunch of modifications from stock. I sold it in Germany instead, for a tidy profit as they were already on their way up there in 2007. Now, I fantasize about buying an unmolested example and bringing it and a wheelbarrow full of cash to http://patwilliamsracing.com/ for the full treatment...

I'm glad you plan to drive and enjoy whatever car you buy. To paraphrase and sanitize a quote from a well-known Ferrari collector who enjoys driving his million dollar classics: Would you 'save' your girlfriend for her next boyfriend?

-Scott

If the Ruf has a Ruf VIN and not a conversion, the Ruf no need to think of it IMHO. I would also pick a Ruf conversion over a stock one for driving but as a long term retirement plan, the stock if bone stock (which are hard to find).
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Look at the BMW-Alpina cars! If i'm not wrong an Alpina CSL is worth much more than a "simple" factory CSL.
    So why would a real RUF-made 930 be worth less than a stock one? It's more rare, more powerfull, more optioned more whatever you want...

And in addition, it should be more fun to drive.

Olivier.

I believe Ruf numbered their cars starting in 1981, when they became recognized as a manufacturer in Germany.

I had the same decision to make and I went with the Ruf car. I found it easier to drive than the stock 930, more power off boost ( higher compression, 3.4L) coupled with the lower gear 1st offered from the Ruf 5-speed transmission made it drive like a nice 3.2. There is a smooth transition to boost which offers more power than the stock 930. I do not like modified Porsche's but Ruf being a factory authorized tuner and since Ruf generally uses OEM to build their stuff, really makes them not feel like boy racer/LA speed shop cars. Ruf's goal is not just speed but drive ability. I believe the stock 930 will retain or go up in value better than a Ruf 930 but if driving the car is part of the equations than the Ruf really trumps the stock 930.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I believe Ruf numbered their cars starting in 1981, when they became recognized as a manufacturer in Germany.
    the first ruf cars had a so called TP number that was given by the german TÜV.in the vehicle documents RUF is mentioned as the manufacturer...not porsche
    the earliest TP ruf car i have seen is a 76...its mine.

but recently(today) a earlier one popt up ..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=181248138167
    Last edited by moito; 11-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.

i've tried contacting the seller of the car on ebay at least three times, asking for the chassis number of his car, there has been zero response. if you don't mind me asking, what is your Ruf vin number