Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New door seals from Elevenparts

Just did it the other day. It works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    It is keeping me up at 4:01........I'm in for a headliner and a set of door seals.
    FWIW: Back in the '70's, I remember our dealership technicians (called mechanics then) partially removing, packing door seal channel with 'dum dum' (3m strip caulk) and reinserting door seals, attempting to stop wind noise and/or water leaks.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Just did it the other day. It works great.
    Did what, headliner or door seals?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Used the 3m strip caulk (dum dum) around the front of the door frame where all the wind noise comes through. Porsche used it for a reason regardless of the type of seal.
    72S, 72T now ST

Used the 3m strip caulk (dum dum) around the front of the door frame where all the wind noise comes through. Porsche used it for a reason regardless of the type of seal.
    The ones I saw that were original were a piece of foam on the door frame at that location. Will have to measure the one on my car. My other S had it also.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Yes, but they used it all over the place. Under the trim pieces, the quarter window trim, the front where the door frames meet the door and all over. It really works. It doesn't look the best but it works.
    72S, 72T now ST

Hi, sorry I have only just caught up with this. Here at Canford Classics we are already making many no longer available parts and we are continually investigating making many more (such as new front hubs, re casting throttle bodies, new CDI boxes with soft kill and multi spark to mention a few), the main reason is to supply our own restorations but I also like just to be able to make these available and thus make these early 911s even better. If I am honest many of these items are not a money makers and take a long time before they even get close to paying for themselves. The delay is due to the fact that our main business is Porsche restoration. Right now we are fully restoring a RHD 2.2E, a RHD 2.4S, a LHD 2.2S, a RHD 2.4 E plus then another 4 or 5 cars in for works, plus 3 engines and 6 gearboxes being rebuilt. These take precedence and thus the delays in producing more parts. We will get there but I would not want anyone to rely on any exact dates and thus we do not let anyone down. If the parts we produce help then we are happy to supply and help, once I have some further info I will be posting it here on the forum before any other.
    Other things we have just made, new lower pulleys, plus our new fan centres are finished. Plus door hinge spacers and catch spacers.
    Thanks
    Alan

I've mounted the Elevenparts seals while restoring the 912. I was hoping it would reduce the wind noise. They are very difficult to mount and need the dum dum stuff to avoid noises at speed but have the original look which is nicer than the bicycle tire look.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I bought some Duct Seal today from Home Depot and it's not black in color but a very dark grey. It was only $2.50. It's looks like it will work pretty good. The only problem with the 3M strip caulk is it's very soft and sticky. The Duct Seal is more like the original stuff Porsche used. It comes in a one pound brick and is in the electrical section at HD. It's made by Gardner Bender. I'll let you know how it works out. It would be good for the area where they filled in front of the front shock towers on the body. If you know what I'm talking about.
    72S, 72T now ST

Any more news on the fitment of these Elevenpart door seals. Are these the best out there.?

I bought some Duct Seal today from Home Depot and it's not black in color but a very dark grey. It was only $2.50. It's looks like it will work pretty good. The only problem with the 3M strip caulk is it's very soft and sticky. The Duct Seal is more like the original stuff Porsche used. It comes in a one pound brick and is in the electrical section at HD. It's made by Gardner Bender. I'll let you know how it works out. It would be good for the area where they filled in front of the front shock towers on the body. If you know what I'm talking about.
    Well, how did it work out?
    Rob Abbott