Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help my 1965 911 Manuf D 4/1965 could have be possible ehibition car for Porsche

need help my 1965 911 Manuf D 4/1965 could have be possible ehibition car for Porsche

Hi guys, I am new here and need your expertise, please. I just bought an early Porsche. My 911 Porsche Certificate came back as the manufacture date 4/65, color Silver Metallic, code #6206. I was told by a PORSCHE expert that this color did not start for the new 911 model until 1966 model year, but since my manufacture date is 4/1965, it is definitely a 65 not a 66 Porsche, and that it is very possible that Porsche used my car as an exhibition car for the auto shows, cross country or maybe even around the world, so people can see the metallic Silver color and order that color for 1966 model year, which manufacture begins in late 1965. Can you guys please help, have you guys ever seen a 1965 with a (factory original metallic silver color)?. Also I have been looking on line for any car show of the year 1965, were it shows what color PORSCHE company used, for their 911 Porsche exhibition car, but I have not been successful. Also he mention that PORSCHE could have made an exception, for someone very important, to let him special order that color from the factory, and they finish the car for him in 4/1965. either way he said it was a very rare car and he offer to buy it from me at $175K, the car needs to be restored, so I am thinking, if he is offering me that amount as his first offer, it could maybe be the only early 1965 factory silver metallic 911 Porsche left in existence, or the first silver in existence, if it is in fact, the one that PORSCHE used as their show exhibition car. Either way, he wants the car, but maybe, it could be worth a lot more, I saw on TV that Steve McQueen's Porsche 1970 911 just sold for $1,375,000. When a car is unique, or if it was own by someone famous, I guess Billionaire car collectors go on a bidding war and pay top dollar for that unique car.

So if this car, is in deed, the only early 1965 911 in existence, or if is the 1st 911 silver metallic made, car collectors could go on a bidding war to add it to their car collection, If the car is in fact unique, I don't think it will sell for $1.4 Million or who knows........ If I was a Billionaire car collector I would rather own the first silver metallic Porsche in existence or the last in existence of 1965, because MR. Ferry Porsche's favorite color was silver metallic, this is why the very first car with the Porsche name, was a (silver metallic color) it was a 1948 356 silver convertible, that car is priceless, and worth a lot more than Steve McQueen's $1.4 Million dollar 911 Porsche, that is why, the 1948 356 silver Porsche, is at the PORSCHE Museum. Because of this, if I was a Billionaire car collector, I would rather own the first 911 silver Metallic Porsche, instead of owning Steve McQueens 1970 Porsche.. Or PORSCHE would want it for sure, to also exhibit the first silver 911, next to their first silver 356, that is now in their PORSCHE Museum.

Please help me guys, with your expertise, maybe we can do history here. Perhaps, there is a member that was actually there in person back in the 1965 car show and has pictures or remembers what color the 911 exhibition car was for PORSCHE, in the 1965 car show.
    Any information will be great
    Thanks Guys!
    Faresi

Quote Originally Posted by Faresi Design View Post
    Hi guys, I am new here and need your expertise, please. I just bought an early Porsche. My 911 Porsche Certificate came back as the manufacture date 4/65, color Silver Metallic, code #6206. I was told by a PORSCHE expert that this color did not start for the new 911 model until 1966 model year, but since my manufacture date is 4/1965, it is definitely a 65 not a 66 Porsche, and that it is very possible that Porsche used my car as an exhibition car for the auto shows, cross country or maybe even around the world, so people can see the metallic Silver color and order that color for 1966 model year, which manufacture begins in late 1965. Can you guys please help, have you guys ever seen a 1965 with a (factory original metallic silver color)?. Also I have been looking on line for any car show of the year 1965, were it shows what color PORSCHE company used, for their 911 Porsche exhibition car, but I have not been successful. Also he mention that PORSCHE could have made an exception, for someone very important, to let him special order that color from the factory, and they finish the car for him in 4/1965. either way he said it was a very rare car and he offer to buy it from me at $175K, the car needs to be restored, so I am thinking, if he is offering me that amount as his first offer, it could maybe be the only early 1965 factory silver metallic 911 Porsche left in existence, or the first silver in existence, if it is in fact, the one that PORSCHE used as their show exhibition car. Either way, he wants the car, but maybe, it could be worth a lot more, I saw on TV that Steve McQueen's Porsche 1970 911 just sold for $1,375,000. When a car is unique, or if it was own by someone famous, I guess Billionaire car collectors go on a bidding war and pay top dollar for that unique car.

So if this car, is in deed, the only early 1965 911 in existence, or if is the 1st 911 silver metallic made, car collectors could go on a bidding war to add it to their car collection, If the car is in fact unique, I don't think it will sell for $1.4 Million or who knows........ If I was a Billionaire car collector I would rather own the first silver metallic Porsche in existence or the last in existence of 1965, because MR. Ferry Porsche's favorite color was silver metallic, this is why the very first car with the Porsche name, was a (silver metallic color) it was a 1948 356 silver convertible, that car is priceless, and worth a lot more than Steve McQueen's $1.4 Million dollar 911 Porsche, that is why, the 1948 356 silver Porsche, is at the PORSCHE Museum. Because of this, if I was a Billionaire car collector, I would rather own the first 911 silver Metallic Porsche, instead of owning Steve McQueens 1970 Porsche.. Or PORSCHE would want it for sure, to also exhibit the first silver 911, next to their first silver 356, that is now in their PORSCHE Museum.

Please help me guys, with your expertise, maybe we can do history here. Perhaps, there is a member that was actually there in person back in the 1965 car show and has pictures or remembers what color the 911 exhibition car was for PORSCHE, in the 1965 car show.
    Any information will be great
    Thanks Guys!
    Faresi
    If this vehical located in Lagos my Docktor oncle who rezides in London would gladly pay by direct deposit...

Faresi,

welcome to the board, it's always nice to see a new poster and having a "new to you car" is special....

but....slow down.

Take a look at a number of postings including : http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-66-911-a.html
    and
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=1965+911
    And search "1965 911" for this site thru google. There is wealth of information.

There is a ton of cool things to learn about the first of the 911 - it been going on for 50 years.. how good is that?

It would be a carry over of a color Porsche had used in production in year 1962. Porsche change standard colors every 2 years and the paint codes first two digits 62xx, 64xx, 66xx etc. was the years (and the following year) those colors were standard (no extra cost), but you could order special colors with a small "up charge" if they were already had been offered by Porsche. Special "paint to order" colors were done and cost extra.

Ferry Porsche's 1964 911 #300 049 car was painted a Metalic Black with a gold flec, it photographs as a dark grey or even a dark green, it was the same color used on the 928 the factory presented to him for a later birthday. That paint code was carried by Porsche for years but with no cars other than Ferry's car was painted in it. The 1964 car is now in the Seinfeld collection.

Your exuberance for making money on selling a car seems to preclude the enjoyment of the car itself. That's not the reason people are here on this site. Most are here to willingly share information about the cars. Some of these cars are worth real money, but without knowing the car, it's condition, it's features, it's prior history (owners, maintenance, provenance) it's impossible to but a value on any car - if some one will pay $175,000 for an un-restored car - take it.

Nice knowing you.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Any Billionaires here to help out?

The car I have seen that belonged to Ferry Porsche were the 356 roadster in dark blue owned by Craig Stevenson at one time, The Dark blue metallic 67 911S and the light metallic green 73 RS that has been featured in some car magazines. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

all of these cars have the 6206 paint code, and this does not include the 912's. Rare? Not at all. Your "expert" is out to lunch.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by davep; 02-25-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Hello Davep, This is great information, thank you so much!
    But what the guy said is that Porsche did not come to the US to exhibit their new 911 model in US car shows, until 1965, and that my car could be the (first 911 exhibited in the US, or brought to the US, with the color metallic silver, 6206, he did not say, that my car, was the (only) 1965 911 Porsche that was silver Metallic. We all know that there are e few, most of the vin numbers you provided were manufacture after April of 1965, there were a few, the first 5 vin #'s you showed are from earlier manufacture dates then my car, but they were not 911's that were made for the US in 1965, maybe later, they brought them, what this guy told me is that my car could be the first 911 silver metallic that was made for the US market and brought to the US and possibly used as their exhibition show car. This information you provided is very good, Thanks so much for your help.

I forward this Thread to the Porsche restorer and he answer me the following.

Faresi, is funny how the pictures are from all different car colors, except the silver metallic, which is what they are claiming to be, LOL. Faresi, in 50 years, cars have gone through a lot of changes and owners, I have had quite a few of these poor cars go through my restoration shop in the past 30 years, then, once we receive the Certificate of Authenticity of their car, from Porsche, the current owners, find out the real original color and original color plate of their car. This is why I, (only) go by the information I get directly from Porsche and nothing else.

Faresi, Go to this link, and stroll down to page 36, there you will see the factory Porsche color charts for 1965, 1966, 1967 etc. You will see that for 1964 and 1965 911's, Porsche, did (not) offer the Silver Metallic color, they started to offer the Silver Metallic color for the 911's of 1966. This is why is very possible that Porsche made your car and used it as there exhibition car for the 1965 auto conventions world wide or for USA, so consumers can see it in the 1965 car shows, and order the Silver Metallic color for the 1966 model year.
    Also the dates match, Porsche manufacture the 356 until April 30th 1965, and they completed the manufacture of your Silver Porsche in early May of 1965.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=tIJ...201965&f=false

Faresi, below is the link for the Porsche Museum in Germany, you will see that most of the Porsches are silver, There is the picture of the first Porsche, it was a 1948 356 model, this model was produced until April of 1965 and replaced by the 911, notice that there are all types of silver Porsches, but there is (no 1965 silver 911 Porsche), why?, because, is very possible that your car is the first silver 911 that Porsche made, after the last silver 356 that they made, because the manufacturer completion date of your 911, was about the same time they stopped manufacturing the 356.

Faresi, I have already order the full history report on your car from Porsche of Germany and also from the DMV here, they both said it will take a few months to get.
    We now have to just wait..................................
    Faresi, I already know for a fact, that your car is the first silver 911 made after the last silver 356 Porsche was made, this I know for sure, because of the manufacture dates, and once we receive the full history from Porsche, and if your car is in did the first Silver Metallic 911 ever made, and if Porsche did use it as their exhibition car, then, my friend............ Porsche Museum would want it, or a car collector, Faresi, Museum cars are priceless! 7 digits, Because, if Steve McQueen's 1970 Porsche 911, sold in Aug 2011 in Monterey CA, for $1,375,000. USD, just because it was own by a celebrity. I think Porsche would want the first silver 911 and exhibition car, in their Museum, to put it next to their forerunner 356 silver Porsche that sits in their Museum now, this silver 356 is priceless, is definitely worth millions.
    Also, I deal with top car collectors from all over the world, and I know they would want it for their collection. I deal with a collector that has over 700 cars, he is a Billionaire. So my friend let's cross our fingers and hope that this is, the first 911 silver Porsche that is missing in their Porsche Museum.

http://www.pbase.com/genevievebradwe...porsche_museum

Well guys, He wrote some exciting stuff, I will let you guys know, once we get the full History report on the car, in the mean time, please let me know, of any pictures you guys may find from any 1965 car show conventions, were you can see what color 911, Porsche company used, as their exhibition car.
    Thanks!

Faresi
    Last edited by Faresi Design; 03-02-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added feed back from Restorer

So, what is the VIN of your car? PM is fine.
    My data just shows that 6206 was a common code in use at the time. Further, my data has paint codes for perhaps 50% of the VIN's and I have only about 7% of the VIN's in my list.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I just forward the postings to The Porsche restorer, he said the following......
    "Faresi, if we notice, all the colors of the cars that show paint code 6206, they are not silver, they are black, yellow, red, white and blue, sometimes a car, will show one thing, but the actual color is another, sometimes they are mistakes, what counts is what it states on the Certificate from Porsche, and sometimes they also have mistakes, specially from the early cars, then you need to order the full history report, on the car.
    What this guy posted actually confirms what I told you, the first 5 vin's, are the only ones before the manufacture date of your Porsche, and they are from very early 911's manufactured in 1964, 1 is from a 901 and the other 4, are from very early 911's, these cars were manufacture (for Germany), before Porsche introduce the new Porsche 911 to the US, which was not until 1965. Faresi, see this book, called, "Collector's Originality Guide" PORSCHE 911 BY PETER MORGAN. his information is pretty accurate in comparison to information that I have acquire from Porsche factory through many years. You can read the book by going to the link I provide you below, then go to page 36, were you will see the Factory colors that were offered for the new 1965 911 Porsche's, you will see that there was (no Silver metallic color offered), not even as a specialty order, not until after July of 1965, which were for the 1966 911 models, and it was a (specialty color order for 1966 models), but the manufacture date on your Porsche is from early half of 1965. I am pretty sure it was used for a 1965 US car show by Porsche, as one of their exhibition model Porsche's for the US market, so US buyers can order their 1966 911 models.

Faresi, I have already contacted Porsche of Germany and ordered a full history of your car. Don't listen to people in forums, most of them do not know the real facts, I have been restoring Porsches for over 30 years, and I know first hand, because I (must get accurate information) directly from Porsche company in Germany, so I can restore the cars of my customers correctly, otherwise I can get sued and I would have been out of business long time ago. This is not a Porsche forum or registry, were people can say what ever they want and nothing happens.

Faresi, the only information that is legit, is the one you get directly from Porsche company in Germany, not even Porsche here in America, have accurate information on Porsches.
    Faresi, I have put my money were my mouth is, my offer of $175K stands. let me know if you want to make a deal, but if we go by what they said in that registry, I can pay you only $90K

People make big mistakes, all the time, simply because they don't get the correct information on their cars directly from the manufacturer.
    Here is the link:

Let's talk soon!

Take care!

Any way guys, this is what he wrote me, but I do appreciate any information you guys can find.
    Regarding the comment about we do not buy Porsches to be thinking about how much money it could bring, I did not either, I have always liked Porsches, but I am sure if right now, someone told you, that your Porsche could be worth a million dollars, I am sure you will start thinking about selling it, even though originally you did not buy it with that intention.
    And to answer about the fact that silver was the favorite color of Mr. Porsche, his #1 Porsche says it all, If right now, you were to built your first car, and you would choose to paint it what ever your favorite color is, right! This is what Mr. Porsche did, he painted it his favorite color, which was Metallic Silver, now of course later he also liked other colors, like yellow and light blue, green, but that does not take away the fact that his favorite color was Metallic Silver, Look at this link of the Porsche Museum, you will see his first car, the 1948 356, was silver metallic and also notice that most of the cars in the Museum are silver. everyone knows knows that when you think Porsche you first think Silver, then Yellow and light blue for the race cars, just like everyone knows that Enzo Ferrari's, favorite color was Red. or Koenigsegg's color, white, De Tomaso Pantera, orange, Datsun, light blue, Jaguar, British green, etc. here is the Museum Link: http://www.pbase.com/genevievebradwe...porsche_museum

Take care guys! and please let me know any information, thanks!

First, I want to apologize if my English writing is not perfect, but English is my second language, member 50/50, your posting above was not very nice, this just tells me that you have no manners!

I forward this threads to the Porsche restorer, he mention that is funny how none of the cars in the pictures above are metallic silver, he said, sometimes when they restore the cars that have been in an accident and their color plates have been destroyed, they put other plates with the wrong color codes. Or they want to have them pass as a metallic silver Porsche.
    He said that he has been restoring Porsches for over 30 years and to his experience, he only goes by what Porsche factory shows in their documentation, not by pictures or not even by looking at the car, because colors and color plates, can be fabricated. He sent me this link below, and told me that the link, is from a Porsche restoration collectors book, and it has pretty good detail information about 911 Porsches, it shows the manufacture years and different paint codes for each year on page 36, I went to it, and yes it shows that Silver metallic color for their 911 model, started to be offered as a special order color by Porsche, for their 1966 models, not before. He said that, this is why, there is a very good chance that my car was used by Porsche for their car show exhibitions in 1965, so people can see and order the silver color for their 1966 911's. Also, he said that it adds up, Porsche stopped the 356 Production in April of 1965, and Porsche started to built my silver metallic Porsche 911 also in April of 1965.

He said he already ordered a full history report on the car from Porsche and that he will get it in a few months.
    Here is the link: he told me about were we can see the paint codes that Porsche offered:

Also he mentioned, that the first metallic silver 911 is not in the Porsche Museum, and most of the Porsche models there, are silver, maybe is because the first silver metallic 911 is here. Once he gets the full history on the car from Porsche, we would know, if this one was in fact the first silver metallic 911 Porsche in the world, and also, if it was used by Porsche as their exhibition car, for the car shows in the states or world wide. Then, it will be very nice to see this first silver metallic 911 next to the also first silver metallic 356, that is displayed in their Porsche museum. see pictures of Porsche Museum at their website in this link below: http://www.pbase.com/genevievebradwe...porsche_museum

Guys, thank you for your feed back, if you find any photos of car shows from 1965, were it shows, what color 911 Porsche, Porsche company, used for their exhibition car, this will be great, please let me know if you find a picture. Regards!