Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish green. Are they all created equal ????

Irish green. Are they all created equal ????

Does anyone KNOW FOR A FACT if the Irish green used on 356 is the same as the irish green used on the 911's and 914's ? I have a 356 nearing paint time and can't find the formula for it. The paint shop can't even find any record of the paint code which I know for a fact is correct. They pulled out an old Glasurit chip book from 1964 and it doesn't list this code, nor Irish green as being offerd that year. Before you start speculating the car was color changed... it wasn't, this is by far the most original unmolested rust free 356 I have EVER dealt with.

356 code = 6406
    914 code = L60E
    911 code = 6406 - 64/65
    ............... 6606 - 66/67
    ............... 6806 - 68/69
    ............... M3M3 - 76

ALL called Irish green
    Last edited by Scotty B; 03-03-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

Irish Green color # 213 (and code from 1972) also 6406 , 6606, 6806 (but not 6404 for the 911, that is light ivory)
    VW code L60E may not be the same, but probably is correct.

http://color-online.glasurit.com/?va...apar=ZZ&ptl=22

I know a guy working for Glasurit. Perhaps I can get him to find a modern formula.
    Last edited by davep; 03-03-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I can't speak to whether all Irish Greens are the same, but from what I have seen, my guess is they are. You are correct though regarding it being a 1964 and 1965 356 color, if not other years as well. Near as I can tell, it was a standard available P car color for several years. This thread may help. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Porsche-Greens

Keith
    My Garage:
    66 912 (Project)
    11 Mini Cooper S Hardtop (Daily Driver)
    10 Mazda CX9 AWD Grand Tour (Wife's Daily Driver)
    05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
    various "one design" sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
    912 Reg. #0025-C
    Early 911S Reg. #1979

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Irish Green color # 213 (and code from 1972) also 6406 , 6606, 6806 (but not 6404 for the 911, that is light ivory)
    VW code L60E may not be the same, but probably is correct.

http://color-online.glasurit.com/?va...apar=ZZ&ptl=22

I know a guy working for Glasurit. Perhaps I can get him to find a modern formula.
    6404 was a mistype on my part. Thanks

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

I am quite sure they different, but I can't tell you any technical details of how.
    Ds

Scottyb,
    Here is the link to the glasurit formula I used on my 67 911 back around 2002. Bobbollo also used the same formula. We were both very happy with the result. FYI, I spent an excessive amount of time researching the correct color. The original formulas mixed by glasurit, ppg and others seemed dark and dull, and were missing the touch of emerald which really separates irish green from the standard fare brg. I even went up to connecticut to look at 356 which was for sale with original paint. The dealer let me take the car for a spin. As soon as I turned the corner, i opened the engine compartment and took a small paint chip from the inner hood so i could bring it back and have it color scanned.
    As a re-confirmatiion, I had one of the panels sprayed with the formula and took it over to Phil Bagley at Klubsport in South Florida. He has had many early 356 and 911 cars and his first porsche was an irish green 356. He looked at the color and said it was about as close as he has seen to the correct original irsh green.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...+paint+formula

Hope that helps. BTW, you can check out my finished irish green 67 on show your ride.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ride.../page65
    Last edited by gruen911; 03-04-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Garth
    How old was Phil Bagley when he viewed your car?
    The eye's colour perception changes with (older) age.
    A consistent formula is the only way for repeatability (to view two cars side by side in the same light with young eyes can still give problems because the older original painted car will be different to the day it was painted over 40 years ago).

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Good point. He was early 50's back then.

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    Garth
    How old was Phil Bagley when he viewed your car?
    The eye's colour perception changes with (older) age.
    A consistent formula is the only way for repeatability (to view two cars side by side in the same light with young eyes can still give problems because the older original painted car will be different to the day it was painted over 40 years ago).

Regards
    Mike

Porsche is 1510 or 1515 targa versus coupe...VW's code is 15, which is stamped on all three of my 914-6 Irish green cars.

64-65 Irish Green 6406, 66-67Irish Green 6606, 68-69Irish Green 6806, 70-71Irish Green 1510 1515
    Last edited by JKH; 03-03-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

UPDATE :

Well I never did find anyone that could give a definitive answer as to whether or not all of the Irish green codes are the same formula or not. What I ended up doing was ordering a sample form Wilhoit as they are the well known experts in the field. Upon receiving the sample card, the owner and I both said no. Their Irish was WAY to green. More of a British racing green. This 356 I am working on still had the factory paint on the dash and door finishing panels so off to the paint shop to start hand mixing. We worked on this for 3 weeks on and off. In total, I and the girl at the shop probably have 10 hours invested in trying to match the color. In the end we got it to where the owner was pleased, I however would like to get it closer, but at this point I am feeling you can not get a perfect match due to the lead no longer being in the paint. Anyway this is where we ended up. Note the door pics are of the same door, no flash, one right after another. Notice how much the color changes depending on how the light hits it. This is why none of the cars we looked at online matched.

If anyone needs the PPG formula I have this mix, and this is what I will be using on my jobs.

FWIW, the owner came down today with a friend of his who has been a concourse judge, and in his opinion, this green is as close to original as any he has seen
    Attached Images Attached Images