Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish green. Are they all created equal ????

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
    The owner has put the last year into every inch of the car and turned out a real stunner. He did everything to the highest degree and this was evident today. He debuted the car at it's first real show and took first in 356 class, first overall in the Porsche class, and scored 259 out of a possible 260 points. I felt like a proud foster parent. Congrats to Dan and his Irish green dream !!
    That's a great story - and a great deal of effort you went to to get that PPG mix. I'd be very happy to have the code Mr B although it may be back in the thread. I love the color when I see cars like this!!!!!!

Scotty, great looking 356. Do you know the wheel and tire size? Thanks.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by TeeItUp View Post
    Scotty, great looking 356. Do you know the wheel and tire size? Thanks.

Bill
    Bill, I'm not positive, but I THINK he is running 165's on 15x6". Richard ( RPC356 ) could probably tell you more definitely than I, as I think he has been more involved with the reassembly
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

Bill, I'm not positive, but I THINK he is running 165's on 15x6". Richard ( RPC356 ) could probably tell you more definitely than I, as I think he has been more involved with the reassembly
    They are 165/15 Michelin XZXs. I'm running the same tires on 4.5" wheels, but I'll ask Dan what he's got.
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337

Quote Originally Posted by rpc356 View Post
    They are 165/15 Michelin XZXs. I'm running the same tires on 4.5" wheels, but I'll ask Dan what he's got.
    Dan says they are 5.5" wheels.
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337

Thanks Scotty and Dan. For some reason those tires looked like 185/70-15 to me.

Bill

amazing irish green

Scotty,
    your color looks amazing. can you tell me the exact specification ??
    thank you a lot

Georg

UPDATE :

Well I never did find anyone that could give a definitive answer as to whether or not all of the Irish green codes are the same formula or not. What I ended up doing was ordering a sample form Wilhoit as they are the well known experts in the field. Upon receiving the sample card, the owner and I both said no. Their Irish was WAY to green. More of a British racing green. This 356 I am working on still had the factory paint on the dash and door finishing panels so off to the paint shop to start hand mixing. We worked on this for 3 weeks on and off. In total, I and the girl at the shop probably have 10 hours invested in trying to match the color. In the end we got it to where the owner was pleased, I however would like to get it closer, but at this point I am feeling you can not get a perfect match due to the lead no longer being in the paint. Anyway this is where we ended up. Note the door pics are of the same door, no flash, one right after another. Notice how much the color changes depending on how the light hits it. This is why none of the cars we looked at online matched.

If anyone needs the PPG formula I have this mix, and this is what I will be using on my jobs.

FWIW, the owner came down today with a friend of his who has been a concourse judge, and in his opinion, this green is as close to original as any he has seen

Scotty, OK, do you have the PPG formula from your green colour? you can send it please to me by mail t111@seznam.cz ?thank you a lot!

Don't think you will get an answer. ScottyB hasn't posted since 2015. My car is also Irish Green. Not in paint yet but here is another thread that may help.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...sh-Irish-Green
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Bringing this really old thread back from the dead. Scotty B, could you share the PPG formula that you ended up using, if you still have it? I have a mk2 Vw Golf that I'm wanting to paint in IG, and your shade turned out PERFECT for what I want!

Thanks,

UPDATE :

Well I never did find anyone that could give a definitive answer as to whether or not all of the Irish green codes are the same formula or not. What I ended up doing was ordering a sample form Wilhoit as they are the well known experts in the field. Upon receiving the sample card, the owner and I both said no. Their Irish was WAY to green. More of a British racing green. This 356 I am working on still had the factory paint on the dash and door finishing panels so off to the paint shop to start hand mixing. We worked on this for 3 weeks on and off. In total, I and the girl at the shop probably have 10 hours invested in trying to match the color. In the end we got it to where the owner was pleased, I however would like to get it closer, but at this point I am feeling you can not get a perfect match due to the lead no longer being in the paint. Anyway this is where we ended up. Note the door pics are of the same door, no flash, one right after another. Notice how much the color changes depending on how the light hits it. This is why none of the cars we looked at online matched.

If anyone needs the PPG formula I have this mix, and this is what I will be using on my jobs.

FWIW, the owner came down today with a friend of his who has been a concourse judge, and in his opinion, this green is as close to original as any he has seen