Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography - The Common Passion with Porsche - Photo Tips

A quick drive before the snow arrives in Ohio.A cold day in Ohio, before the snow-9423 1 copy.jpg

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    nice shot, well thirded. would love to see it with a little less HDR!
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    The biggest advice I can ever give is challenging someone to explain why they think the photo is good, and why they think its strong.
    Your words, your advice.

Now, let's turn the tables and challenge you to explain to us why you think the above photo is good, and why you think it's strong.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Your words, your advice.

Now, let's turn the tables and challenge you to explain to us why you think the above photo is good, and why you think it's strong.

JZG

I think its thirded well. the subject is placed properly. balance wise its a nice shot. not a great shot, or a strong shot, but its nice. the HDR and the tilt are a bit of a buzzkill though.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Well, I didn't use HDR, just played with Capture One software. Shot with an older Canon 1DS MKII with a 35mm Zeiss glass.

I'll jump in since I said I would help.

OK, no HDR, maybe no excessive "shadow/highlight" or "fill light" or "recovery" (a really common error). But it still looks exposure manipulated via incomplete masking.

Here's why. Also noticeable a bit at the left rear tire.

Too picky? Maybe. But it's the details that separate the good (which this photo most assuredly is) from the great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    I'll jump in since I said I would help.

OK, no HDR, maybe no excessive "shadow/highlight" or "fill light" or "recovery" (a really common error). But it still looks exposure manipulated via incomplete masking.

Here's why. Also noticeable a bit at the left rear tire.

Too picky? Maybe. But it's the details that separate the good (which this photo most assuredly is) from the great.
    Great feedback. Maybe the photographer can process it again with this feedback? would love to see it evolve.

What I did like about this photo was the colors. I have a Polo Red car and I always find I am not happy with the color, or I find it challenging to get it right, compared to a typical metallic - silver, blue or the like. I also think the HDR is a bit much but actually don't object to the tilt.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Thanks, I would also like to see the photographer dial back the exposure on the car a bit, maybe darken the grass strip, then add a touch of contrast to make it all pop again. The tilt could be reduced a bit, maybe crop on the left a touch. It's all subjective...
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it another shot.

Actually, suggestions, opinons, and critiques help improve my work. I'll reprocess it and post it later.