Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child seat for our early cars

Child seat for our early cars

Hey Gang,

Can anyone recomend a toddler seat that will fit in the rear of out early cars. My grandson is three and can correctly pronounce Porsche so its time to give the little dude a ride.

Thanks,
    Ted

If your are in Europe, get a Roemer Eclipse.

The only seat that fits modern cars with their rectractable 3 point belts but accepts ALSO the non-rectractable 2-point seat belt system of pre 72's early Porsche's.
    Its designed excactly for modern as well as vintage cars.
    Its base fits exactly the limited space on the rear seats, most modern child seats don't do because their base is to large.

There exist also a Porsche child seat.

Last edited by 911T1971; 10-13-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Registry member No.773

I've got an Evenflo model that fit pretty well. I had to drill a hole to mount an eye bolt for the rear tether though. This was the only way to really anchor the seat well. I tried using a retractable 3-point belt first and had a hard time making the seat secure. I eventually ended up anchoring the seat with a non-retractable lap belt and the rear tether. I'd be willing to give you the seat if you are anywhere near the SF bay area. It's too irregularly shaped to pack and ship.
    When my son recently outgrew the full car seat I upgraded him to a booster and racing harness that anchors to the same eye bolt as the old tether.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Any recent experiences? is the Roemer Eclipse still the preferred option? My wife told me that the 356's are off limit as they have no seat belts. Hope the 911's will be a different story as they have seat belts. Any experience with ST seats in combination with the Roemer?

We had both kids up to 3 years in the Roemer Eclipse.
    Its a tight fit in the rear of the early but it works.
    I since changed to an orginial Porsche seat from the eighties. Its sister (8) has now the lab belt, as it was in period used.

The Porsche seat accept also both 2 and 3 point seat belts, It therefore fits a modern 911.
    You can buy it still today trough a Porsche dealership, although upgraded design.

As for safety, you never will be totally safe within a vintage car compared to a modern one..having a child seat is good for one's (or wife's) piece of mind..but dont think it will do any protection if a SUV crashes sideways into your early 911...

Here the Porsche seat in my 997.
    Name:  IMG_1369.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  53.2 KB

This is how we usually traveled in the early.
    Name:  IMG_1371.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  70.3 KB

And here the today unused Roemer
    Name:  IMG_1372.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  39.8 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-13-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    We had both kids up to 3 years in the Roemer Eclipse.
    Its a tight fit in the rear of the early but it works.
    I since changed to an orginial Porsche seat from the eighties. Its sister (8) has now the lab belt, as it was in period used.

The Porsche seat accept also both 2 and 3 point seat belts, It therefore fits a modern 911.
    You can buy it still today trough a Porsche dealership, although upgraded design.

As for safety, you never will be totally safe within a vintage car compared to a modern one..having a child seat is good for one's (or wife's) piece of mind..but dont think it will do any protection if a SUV crashes sideways into your early 911...

Here the Porsche seat in my 997.
    Name:  IMG_1369.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  53.2 KB

This is how we usually traveled in the early.
    Name:  IMG_1371.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  70.3 KB

And here the today unused Roemer
    Name:  IMG_1372.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  39.8 KB

Oh my gosh... I DO miss those days! Had that same Porsche child's seat 20 years ago when our girls were tiny.

Safety? NOTHING screamed dangerous like the times I used a ratchet strap to tie my 3 year old and her car seat into my Isetta 300!

Thumbs up

Oldie but goodie...

My older grandniece, now 15....... Her seat fit and strapped perfectly onto my sport seat, then 911 seat belt on them both ....

Wouldn't pass muster today though....

Man, those WERE the days... faster uncle Chuck!!!...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yeah, i can feel how times go fast. We had and still have so much fun travelling w the kids.
    Since its a vintage car we are not obliged to update to modern child seats. I agree that safety is paramount and any harm to anybody needs to be avoided..but im also aware that a 45year old car still IS unsafe.

Here is my alltime favorite pic...somewhere in the middle of France travelling to Le Mans Classic.
    Our small daughter (2) just vomitted a few minutes ago in the back seat (thx !) so I threw the entire child seat and car's content on the grass for a cleaning, while its bigger sister (6) is goofeing around in true hippie style...I will never forget that moment.
    Name:  IMG_1451.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  55.1 KB
    Registry member No.773

GREAT PIC Karim !!!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I managed to get the Roemer in gray leather, third generation, hand 2 hand from porsche drivers and 911 cars.
    my son is in the front with the 3 point teka belt plus a lab belt, making it a 5 point security.
    He is now an experianced co!driver with 8k plus kilometers throughout europe.
    but have to admit, the new recaro young hero is perfect for front, as it has an own belt construction for the smalls and you just fix the base with the 3 point belt....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo