Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front license plates

Front license plates

I'm not sure this is a widespread nation-wide "problem" in states that mandate front-license plates be displayed without exception or whether it's primarily confined to California, perhaps even only to northern California with our toll-bridges, but it seems that in recent months, with the dramatic increase of automated bridge-toll payment via windshield mounted sensors coupled with flash cameras to record the passage of every car, just in case there's cheating afoot and someone managed to avoid paying the outlandish bridge-toll and then can't be traced by their non-existing front license plate, the incidents of citations for NOT displaying front plates have increased commensurately. I am hearing horror stories of $500.00 tickets, no leniency whatsoever, no first-offence fix-it tickets, even parking maids enforcing meter violations are starting to leave tickets for missing front plates on windshields involving massive fines .

None of my cars have front plates, but I believe the time has come when I think the prudent thing to do is to just roll over and end the futile resistance, so I have decided to mount my front plate(s)………….which of course opened a whole new can of worms: - How to mount it ? Naturally I'm referring to my 911, since my other cars are easy, utilizing manufacturer supplied brackets and hardware.

Many years ago I lifted the attached photo off the inter web for future reference, suspecting eventually this day would finally arrive, and, because I liked the sturdy bracket, upright positioning of the plate, and because in my eyes it represented the most effective, least unsightly and most Porsche-like way of mounting the hated front plate.

I hesitated resorting to this, but I must ask: is anyone on the Registry using this mounting method, is anyone familiar with it, has anyone else seen one like this, are there links you can provide, names, references, and are these brackets even commercially available, so I might purchase one.

Thank you much for your assistance.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I don't like how it stands off so far from the bumper. It looks like a bit like a bulldozer. Maybe modify it for a closer fit?
    BTW, I use Velcro--- I know, not a very Porsche- like solution, but hey, less is more!
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Hi John, I took that photo of the 902 prototype at RRII. I thought that it was a pretty neat mounting solution, and one that I hadn't seen before. Then I noticed that it was also on the 901 prototype at the event also, but apparently I didn't get a photo at the time. Here is a picture of it at the 50th PCA Parade at Hershey (with Alois Ruf chatting with the owner ). I'm pretty sure Dennis Frick restored both cars, so he might be someone to talk to about the plate holder. I'm not sure if it was his idea, or something Porsche did. His business is Europa Macchina, and his email is djf@europamacchina.com.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Sent you a PM

I don't have a front plate on any of mine either. The exception my Cayenne, I was stopped twice $50 fine, so I relented. I have never been stopped in a "historic" registered car.
    Rob Abbott

John Z-

Those are the factory Brackets. You buy them from Stoddard.

http://www.stoddard.com/901-701-051-...e-bracket.html

A nice flat front plate acts like an air brake to keep you from driving too fast! It also provides a spot to display vintage plates.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

That is a Porsche piece. We have them in stock.

http://www.stoddard.com/901-701-051-...e-bracket.html
    Per Schroeder

Front License Bracketry . . .

. . . as seen at the '50 Years of the 911' display, in Fontana, last Spring --- see post #18 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=fontana

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

Mine actually looks good, it's the small Italian plate.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Arizona is looking better and better...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

What's wrong with the original bar mounting bracket, like for the rear plate? It holds the plate closer to the body and the plate is less easily damaged in real world parking situations. Agreed, a plate detracts from the appearance of the front of the car but there isn't any way out. I did once see where a Ferrari owner had trimmed a standard license plate so it was cut tight to the plate numbers, ie made a smaller rectangle with rounded corners. It looked much better but not sure if the DMV would have any issues with a modified plate.