Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bright dip and chrome from King of Trim

King of Trim restored the anodized window trim for my car last year. Decent results...couple of parts came back with a few very fine scratches that I think should have been polished out before reanodizing. Turn around time was four weeks...was supposed to be three. Not cheap...but they dont have much competition.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

ok, for an example, what did a pair of window frames cost? Were they fixed window or pivots? How much does a pair of the quarter windows cost?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

No prices? No turn around time?
    No way to answer Bill....

It all has to do with what it is, how much it has to be fettled (worked) before polishing, and how much it has to be polished before dipping...

My 19 pieces of Chevy trim took about 3 weeks, was more expensive than I expected, ....and, as said, was all perfect... and worth it.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

About 2000$ for the window frames front and rear with chrome on the hinges as seen

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic View Post
    ok, for an example, what did a pair of window frames cost? Were they fixed window or pivots? How much does a pair of the quarter windows cost?
    I had all of my LWB coupe's side window trim pieces done for $2k. They were not dented or dinged...just had some slight scratches here and there and worn out factory anodizing.
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 03-11-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Bill,
    The easiest way to answer your questions is to call KOT.
    There are just too many variables to compare your job exactly. IMHO
    H

Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Minneapolis
    Can anyone help me - I have a '69T that I am considering having the window frames redone on. They are not bad but the car has just had a glass out nice repaint and I am thinking that they may not look all that good against the paint. My local chrome shop, who do very nice work on expensive cars thought that they were brass frames that were chrome plated, and that they would be happy to rechrome them. I don't think that they were ever brass - either chrome plated steel on the SWB cars and bright dip anodizing on aluminum in the LWB cars. They look like anodized to me but he's pretty experienced so does anyone know who is right here? If they are alu/anodized I am assuming that King of Trim is still the best in the country and maybe the only option. The car is on the west coast of Canada, btw.
    Thanks for any info.
    Oh, just in case - if anyone has a very good drivers side tinted window I also need one of those......

A magnet will tell you what you have in about 2 seconds.
    Tony

I've always understood that 68 and earlier cars were chrome-plated brass and 69 and later cars were anodized aluminum. Might be off by one year in which case 68 would be the transition year but either way I think your 69 parts should be aluminum.

But then, I'm wrong much of the time...

BTW, another happy KOT customer here. They restored my 69 engine grill and also a set of window frames for my 356. Quality work both times.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    According to Brett Johnson, 1968 coupés had anodized aluminum window frames, but Targas were chromed brass through 1973.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet