Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Engine Sound Pad

Thumbs up

Another happy customer! Thanks Eric for a great product -- and Freddie for the install.

Name:  IMG_6297.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  156.0 KB

I was one of the guys who bought the last run. I was amazed at how well it fit and how authentic it looked. I had to trim it a bit, because of variations in space, but very satisfied. Eric does very nice work and is a true asset to the Registry.

I can take a photo of an original one in my '72 if anybody wants to see the texture. I think ill just take the photos and post them for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    I can take a photo of an original one in my '72 if anybody wants to see the texture. I think ill just take the photos and post them for future reference.
    Please do...I keep hoping Eric will make one for me (and all the other '72 owners that need one)!...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Sorry it took me so long to go out and take these photos. Here is a close-up of an original 1972 sound pad. I put a dime next to it for reference. It appears to have a basket weave type pattern to it.
    My car hasn't been driven since 1986. The sound pad has mostly Fallen away now. It's still all there it's just crumpled up. The third photo is after I got it wet. Not sure if that helps at all or not, and second photo is of the mess of the foam after it's Fallen away. Again probably not relevant. If somebody can figure out how to make a Repro of this I could definitely use one. Mine is torn a little bit but I could provide the original for a pattern.
    Name:  20161222_121825.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  86.0 KBName:  20161222_122055.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  127.1 KBName:  20161222_121942.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  82.7 KB

I think I need one of these for my '78 whatzit mobile ... the little monkey is so loud, it makes your ears bleed.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

I trial fitted the pad. It fits very nice but had a little bit of wrinkling where it is black just above the shocks. Do these go away in time? Can I use a heat gun carefully? I'm striving for a clean zero wrinkle sound pad.
    I pulled the previous sound pad out and this is what was under it.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to go out and take these photos. Here is a close-up of an original 1972 sound pad. I put a dime next to it for reference. It appears to have a basket weave type pattern to it.
    My car hasn't been driven since 1986. The sound pad has mostly Fallen away now. It's still all there it's just crumpled up. The third photo is after I got it wet. Not sure if that helps at all or not, and second photo is of the mess of the foam after it's Fallen away. Again probably not relevant. If somebody can figure out how to make a Repro of this I could definitely use one. Mine is torn a little bit but I could provide the original for a pattern.
    Name:  20161222_121825.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  86.0 KBName:  20161222_122055.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  127.1 KBName:  20161222_121942.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  82.7 KB
    Is anyone making pad exactly like pictured in this post? Mine has gone a sort of dark greyish with brown tinge. Think it was more black or very dark grey when I got first car iirc. The foam behind the visible basket weave effect on engine side surface is going a bit crusty. Started to leave a trace of dust or brown foam crumbs in some small areas near corners so likely the pad reverse side attached to metal is breaking down chemically -- foam turning into dust-- as old manmade foam from 70s are prone to do. Pretty sure the pad fitted is the original one for late calendar 72 model year 73 car.

The visible side of the original does seem to be a sound surface "thin layer membrane" with a different foam passing behind. It is the latter that is failing. Original is not a just a consistent homogeneous foam texture throughout like some new ones-- at least as far as I can tell without pulling and tearing mine.

Not constructed like the fibre (horsehair ?) ones that I see featured here either, nor is it like the new foam quite smooth ones I've helped fit to a number of cars at a friend's workshop. Not keen on those as they don't look the same as original -- particularly noticeable missing the distinctive weave surface finish shown above. To my eye the visible surface on new foam ones I've fitted is just too black, quite shiny and smooth to look like period authentic.

If these new black smooth foam ones simply had that "loose faux basket weave" surface finish like shown in pictures on the one visible side maybe rest of the pad is sufficiently hidden to be just fine once aged in?

Who knows, possibly originals were maybe once even springy homogeneous foam throughout before the reverse-side dried out or reacted to conditions, adhesive etc?

Plenty 72/3 cars will have already had these pad replaced so possibly not a good authenticity reference and any original sound pad survivors are likely a similar slowly disintegrating story.

Maybe there is a market for pads for 72/3 cars too?

It would be an improvement even if current supplier/ manufacturer just imprinted an authentic basket weave on the visible surface's finish for these 72/3 cars. I assume being already in use the current foam has the advantage of meeting the relevant material standards for this particular application? Limiting the change to visible cosmetic variation of an exiting product might be pragmatic step, if no one will redo the whole thing properly like how it was done in late 72. Maybe similar (looking) material already exists to original but is it proven for the conditions in that application?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-07-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typos and addition

I just did one in an '86 930 without dropping the lump (obviously removed air box and intercooler) .....tedious but do-able.......if I could do it to my satisfaction in that mess, an earlier, simpler car would be a cake walk!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

I sold one of these from a 71 911.Sold to "Moito" Franz in Austria.If you look at the grain,it is correct and the backing material is definitely not foam.Almost like a burlap material.The pad was very heavy.If you read the comments at the end of the thread,it sounds to me Franz might try to repro this.Loook in the for sale section under original engine pad from a 71.

David