Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 S Engine Sound pad

72 S Engine Sound pad

I will sometime soon replace the missing sound pad from my car and had not thought much about what pad until I saw a recent sound pad post for 69-70 ish with the dimpled pad (ED Mayo post).

What is correct pad for a 72?

Pictures?

Source?

Thanks!

There is no "correct" pad available for a '72 right now. But Eric says he's working on it...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...gine-Sound-Pad
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 04-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.

member #1515
    Appbiz is pretty close
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I've spoken with Bob @ Appbiz and he's recommended the "Deluxe" pad as being close to the original. I'm sure he won't mind me pasting part of an email here:
    "It is very heavy duty black dense foam with a skin. This is not a glued on skin it is the actual crust that forms when the foam is poured into the mobile home sized mold. We have the foam company cut the crust to our specs and ship it to us where we die cut it with a 100 ton press. The beauty of this skin is that it can never delaminate, become water or oil logged and doesn't fall out in chunks. We think it's the pad the factory should have made."
    I'm ordering one on Monday and will let y'all know how it is. My original pad has a few cuts etc in it and I'm going to do an engine drop next week. This will be one of my "while yer in there" projects.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I've installed to Appbiz soundpad and it's nice. The only thing is it doesn't have the textured "circle" pattern as the original. That said its a very nice pad and works great!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Fortunately for us the later style pads in 72-73 didn't have the dimples like the earlier ones.
    What did you use to glue it in Edric?

Like the night shot in my driveway. Looks familiar
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Yeah I should replace it with the dimples next time around. Hopefully Eric will have them when the time comes.
    I use the 3M high heat spray glue and it seems to be holding up well. I still have about a half can left and you're welcome to use it.

btw I think you have a better shot of my car that night.

I've installed several Appbiz pads and I highly recommend them. The factory pads will start to separate again in a few years, the Appbiz pads don't. The diecutting is accurate for a correct fit.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Here you go Edric. Nothing like setting your timing by the dark of night. Really makes the timing gun work well
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by kentf14; 04-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Replaced my pad with the Appbiz one also. Works well and Bob was right, you don't have to glue it in. I like that since in certain situations glue can trap moisture. With the Appbiz pad it is held in place by the body clips above and simply tension of being folded.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709