Thread: 1966 Porsche 911 value

1966 Porsche 911 value

Dear group,
    I'm new in the early 911 stuff but its been a while since I'm looking for a early car.
    I have found a car that fits in what I'm looking for. It is a 1966 car, chassis 304427. It is an original sunroof car. The owner was the kardex of the car and this car was originally Aga Blue (now whitish), with brown/pepita interior, sunroof, tinted glass, koni shocks, overriders, radio and a webasto heater. Now the bad...the car has been updated to look like a G series car, it does not have the original engine (a 2.2 T engine). I have most of the stuff required to convert the car back to stock. However I am a bit intrigued about how much to offer or how much it is worth. The car itself is completely rust free but will without doubt require a lot of work. Share your thoughts folks!
    Many thanks!
    Carl

I'm not sure on the value of the car based on the info you've given. You will obviously want to factor in the price to refer back to a '66 if this is your ultimate goal. If so, how much of the original car is there? Is the front latch panel replaced? How about the interior? Despite having a stash of parts, this stuff will add up quickly.
    Also, as many have said, there is no such thing as a rust free early 911. Keep that in mind.

If you're dealing with a "find" and not an advertised car or someone savvy with the market, I'd offer something around $10K.

FWIW, this car VIN is mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...aring-remedies

and post #19 of this thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=304427

you may want to contact the posters in the above threads to get more info on the car.

Good luck!
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

1966 Porsche 911 value

My mistake i've posted the wrong vin it should read 304421 and not 304427. Sorry about that.

Many thanks for your advice kentf14. The car suffered a not so perfect conversion to look like a G model. The front latch panel is gone. The interior is also a mess, it does have a pair of early 70's recaro sport seats. The car will need everything else. I have seats, gauges, most panels already. My problem is the amount to offer. The guy is one of those old guys that does not want pics taken with concern of internet "abuse" and we wants to sell the car and I do believe it is a good (and long) project. I do know that the fact it does not have the original engines hurts the value but how much?

The car has some features I really like such as the original colour and the list of extras, however to get a fair price in mind to offer is harder that I initially thought.

More thoughts/sugestions please!

I bought a somewhat rusty '65 3 years ago for $12,000 it was very complete, numbers matching, but not in running condition. It is an early 911, built in July 1965. I did a concours restoration and it cost over $150K. It was very complete but some small bits were missing, they are difficult and expensive to find. The wrong motor is a big deal, you might be able to find a period correct engine and replace it, sell the 2.2 to cover some of the cost. I am very fond of sunroof cars, my '65 has one, they are quite rare.

Good luck with the project.

I bought 304421, it is now on its way to my garage. It will be a hard project with everything to do. I have sourced a period correct engine and i am strating to collect parts. The car is just a big mess, converted to the G looks, and with a lot of hard to find parts missing (lucky I have a located a late 1965 912 rusty but almost complete). The car has later type recaro sports seats, and it has what it looks to be a 911 carrera RS speedometer.
    Let's see if I can make a proper early SWB out of this one...

Quote Originally Posted by cmpires View Post
    Dear group,
    I'm new in the early 911 stuff but its been a while since I'm looking for a early car.
    I have found a car that fits in what I'm looking for. It is a 1966 car, chassis 304427. It is an original sunroof car. The owner was the kardex of the car and this car was originally Aga Blue (now whitish), with brown/pepita interior, sunroof, tinted glass, koni shocks, overriders, radio and a webasto heater. Now the bad...the car has been updated to look like a G series car, it does not have the original engine (a 2.2 T engine). I have most of the stuff required to convert the car back to stock. However I am a bit intrigued about how much to offer or how much it is worth. The car itself is completely rust free but will without doubt require a lot of work. Share your thoughts folks!
    Many thanks!
    Carl
    Whether you paid $5,000, $15,000 or $30,000, it ain't going to make much difference in the overall cost of this car.

Ciao

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Whether you paid $5,000, $15,000 or $30,000, it ain't going to make much difference in the overall cost of this car.

Ciao

Jim
    Jim makes a good point, but the solution is to never look at all the receipts at the same time. Works great for me!

Yes, missing original engine will effect the value a bit, put personally I think it is also a plus. Now you can put in whatever you want and beat the hell out of it instead of "saving your girlfriend for her next boyfriend" because it is so valuable and original.

Have fun and thanks for saving another one!

Start a project thread when you have the chance.

Cheers!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery