Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siren song for me

Siren song for me

Hello all: I am very new to the early 11 cars and just became a paying member to support this great registry.

I currently own a 997 and am looking into owning an early car mainly to savor the nostalgia, the traditional noises/smells, analogue, visceral lithe feel.

Since its the DNA that I am after, I feel that a "clone/replica/hot rod" may be lacking in some respects. I am sensitive to the the cost of ownership of an early car especially it being a purely hobby car. It is disheartening (for me) to see asking prices of even S's just a few years ago in Panorama and now what they are asking now for those cars. But I do know for a fact that if I wait now, prices are only going to go up in 5 years.

I think Es and Ts are up my alley when it comes to prices. Here is my question: Disregarding numbers (performance), if all I am seeking is 'feel' please give me your pick for the year and model I should be on the lookout for and give me your reason for what you picked (if it is not too much of an inconvenience).

I am looking for a driver quality early car and have no interest to store it as an investment, take it to cars and coffee or compete in concourse events. I am really after I have owned a 3.2 Carrera which was a very good car but the early car is calling me. It is a Siren-song for sure.

I really appreciate the time taken to read my post and advance thanks for your assistance. I am thinking 2.4 T vs 2.2 T. Would love to hear all the answers.
    Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 06-02-2013 at 02:34 PM.

'73T mfi. Welcome to early world.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

A 2.2S, '70 or '71. Raw and pure!

66mm crank spins up quick, S cam comes on above 4500. Still light and responsive, visceral.

OK, sorry, you asked about T's and I gave my all time fav. Of the T's I would have to go with a 2.4 MFI.
    Last edited by boba; 06-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

2.2 T..... with airport gears. Breathtaking....

In any color - even the baby poo green..do that one in a military livery with fender staff flags...
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Honestly, they are all great. I recommend buying a car that is in very good mechanical, structural and cosmetic condition above all else. That said, The T's offer very usable real world performance at a far more reasonable price than an S. the SWB cars 65-68 are the purest of the original design. The 2.2 cars have a fantastic short stroke sound, and love to rev. The 2.4's have the most torque of all. You really can't make the wrong choice.
    Rob Abbott

There is no wrong answer. Buy the car, not the color. History, records and and if you get lucky, an enthusiast owner.

Good luck.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

A 73 911E. Almost the same performance as the 2.2 S but at a reduced price. Or a 2.4 T. Although the interior is more of the original design on the 2.2 cars with basket weave and no foam in the interior seats that can turn into powder over time with the 72 & 73 cars. The 2.2 cars original material for seats is horse hair (DNA). It actually is coconut husk. The ultimate of pure design is the 1965 to 1968 cars, but at a reduced performance. Just depends what floats your boat. I still would go with a 2.4 T or E. Regards Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Thank you for all the replies. I also have a good friend who is my mentor whose advice I seek regularly too. My budget for a hobby car is not in the S or E range so I am narrowing the search the Ts. I did look at a 2.2T along with my mechanic and a Porsche body expert. Original car that has not been started in 9 years. Undersurface is clean but rust/bubbling in fenders and doors. Decent interior but dash needs to be replaced. I am looking at 40K total (includes cost of vehicle, body work to repair the car to bring it to a preservation class vehicle, not a full restoration and to make it a driver). Still hesitant to pull the trigger for a couple of reasons:

1. Should I hold out for a 2.4 T. Thoughts on 2.2 vs 2.4 T is all I am seeking is feel and not performance. Carbs vs MFI is really a deal breaker. I think not.

2. There may be CA rust free and with working engine around for under $50k. No ?

The search is half the fun

You can find a nice driver for under 50k. I doubt that you'll find a concourse car for that though. Buy the best car you can and if you are going to drive it and not buying for investment, I wouldn't pass up a clean 69T with a 3.0 for a not so nice original one. Repaints are frequently a slippery slope.......Mechanicals usually aren't...
    JMHO
    H

There is a substantial difference in driving a carb'd car vs. MFI. If you are after "the feel", I would recommend an MFI car. I have several cars with both, and the sound and response from the MFI is just superior. Carbs can be great and are certainly easier to maintain. Drive as many early cars as you can to get an idea of what YOU like.
    Early S Reg #1809