Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: New old stock. Orange bar hood badge

FS: New old stock. Orange bar hood badge

I managed to prise this badge out of the clutches of a badge collector. Owned since the early 70's. never seen the daylight

I have done all the searches on originality, recent selling prices and also consulted some badge guru's .

I have no need for this so i am listing it for sale. To quote our fellow board member Andrea.

"Only for world class Restorations "

$1000.00 + postage from the UK.

Nice to see what they looked like when new... somewhat out of my league tho'. GLWS...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Very pretty and I'm interested.

Out of curiosity, who are the "badge gurus" you consulted? I wouldn't call myself a guru but I own half a dozen badges that are verified original to early cars and I have never been able to confirm one with the exact combination of features on yours. I am in agreement with others that there are at least two early badge designs - one with a flat back and one that is pebbled. But when examining early badges with the pebbled reverse, I have never been able to 100% authenticate an early pebbled reverse badge with the "R" not centered above the 901 (but I have been able to confirm several reproductions with this feature. I have only been able to positively authenticate badges of the pebbled reverse variety when the "R" is centered like this one:

http://www.p914.com/p911_badges_cres..._late_back.htm

Can you give me an example of an authenticated badge with the same specific features as yours?
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 06-01-2013 at 06:20 PM.

And please don't take my post the wrong way. Like I said, I am interested. If this was a badge I could easily authenticate, it would already be sold. Just looking for some more information.

here's the back of my NOS badge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I had two NOS badges in Porsche packaging that had the R to the right of the 0. They both sold quickly with no complaints. Ive had originals with no pebbling on back, some partially pebbled and some fully pebbled. There are more than two varieties of original badges IMO, especially when you pick out small details. I have never seen a repro that wasn't polished shiny gold unlike originals. Some say the lack of visible solder under the pins means it is repro. I disagree. On the Pelican site it's like a witch hunt the way they rip badges offered for sale, no visible solder, space above Porsche, position of R or AR, leg spur, pin shape etc. etc.. I think that if somebody has made repros that can pass as originals they would make more money selling them in large numbers to the Porsche aftermarket than passing a few off as originals in a clandestine manner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 66S; 06-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.

No offence taken. As i mention in the description, i have trawled over every thread on here including your link.
    I sent detailed photo's to a very knowledgble board member who has been restoring several of these badges for friends.

If you have several of these badges and you are in doubt, then is there really anyone who can 100% verify any badge. I doubt it.

Banned
    Here's the irony: If I saw THAT badge on a car I would immediately think repro.
    Not to be a spoiler but there is an argument that a patina'd/aging badge eliminates such suspicions.

So which is worth more? (Without rehashing the ENTIRE NOS vs orig debate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Here's the irony: If I saw THAT badge on a car I would immediately think repro.
    Not to be a spoiler but there is an argument that a patina'd/aging badge eliminates such suspicions.

So which is worth more? (Without rehashing the ENTIRE NOS vs orig debate.)
    Frank

There are a few of us on DDK who like patina over NOS.

If I saw that badge, however, on a newly restored RS I would think that the owner has gone to the 'n th' degree in his restoration and be confident that he has done the rest of the car the same. It's a sign of attention to detail. It will age with the rest of a newly restored car.

When I saw the badge on the $507k india red RS recently sold at auction the badge is a repro and I immediately thought 'that rings alarm bells for the rest of the car'.

The good news is that

1. The badge could be 'aged' if preferred
    2. Put it on a car and over time it will develop it's own beautiful patina

Horses for courses but that badge would really add the final touch to a new concours restoration. Me, I prefer something which shows it's had a life and stories to tell.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Me too Frank. I often look at people that try to build there cars with all, NOS parts. Good luck to them, but i prefer the patina of an original part. I just knew there was going to be massive debate about this badge. This badge is not for me, as i am not having a badge on my ST build. Even if i was, i would want a beaten up version with nice patina.

I find it amazing that most of us were in short trousers when these badges were produced, but there is still massive debate about Fake or original. How many porsche cars were made with a hood badge ?

Do we think that the original tool die was used for every stamping on the rear.? I think not.

Hell, i am only trying to get a few funds together for my car

Trade for Scheel GT sliders or nice tested S behr front cooler.

Dave