Thread: Correct fender joing plate

Correct fender joing plate

I was at the Stoddard swap meet last saturday, where I was talking with the crew from Restortion Desing. Another big ho-ra they now have the middle section for the rear seat/package tray section for the 71 and earlier cars. When asking what up and coming pices to expect. They stated that they were starting on a better front fender joing plates. I asked if the right side was going too have the tooling for the oil lines. They looked at me and said probbly not. That was a "S' specfic part. I was like No, both my 71 and 73 T's have that style plate. In talking and thinking about it I rembered that I have a picture of a 69 912 that had that style on it. I will try and post the picture of the 912 have. My question is this, what cars used this style and up what year were they used? And at what point did we start having to use the current style of multie year fit pannels?
    I hope this all makes since. It would be nice if we could all get together and get the right part reproduced. On Restortino Desings behalf they are trying and doing a great on getting us great part for our restortions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Great question Bill. Thanks for posting this.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Those pressings were for the 69 and 70 only S cars - they were the ones with through-the-sill oil lines. After that the lines were run externally and those pressings become obsolete. In defence of Restoration Design, they would be tooling for a two year/very limited run of cars (being the S cars). And given that this is is pretty much an invisible part to be sold to very few customers, I suspect there would be cost recovery issues...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

John I thought the same thing untill. As stated above and I checked pictures from the previous owner of my 72 T. All three of my T,s had that style plate 71 72 and73. None of my T,s had thru sill oil lines, but the 72 will get thru sill lines whenI get to that point. And the picture at the top is of 69 912.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

To the best of my knowledge all cars of that era, S or not, had the same fender joining panel, if the lines were put in the holes were stamped out, if not they were just blank. It would not make sense to have two different stampings. Kind of like all 914's have the pressings for the oil tank, they're just not punched out on the fours.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Will the joining panel have weld nuts, and not the speed nuts? Gled

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    To the best of my knowledge all cars of that era, S or not, had the same fender joining panel, if the lines were put in the holes were stamped out, if not they were just blank. It would not make sense to have two different stampings. Kind of like all 914's have the pressings for the oil tank, they're just not punched out on the fours.
    Yes that was kind of my point to Bill... I think Dansk already make a "flat" generic joining plate without the oil line stampings which is relatively cheap and covers nearly the whole range of 911 a part from the 69/70S cars. For them to commission a similar piece for what is a very small market requiring it may not be financially viable. Don't get me wrong, if the correct piece was available, I'd probably buy it in preference to the Dansk version. But it is a piece that is close to invisible on the car (not sure a concours judge could spot it ), and I just wonder if the cost of tooling would be recovered? Would there be a significant market?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga