Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage BMWs are FUN! And you can STEAL THEM!! Like a PERFECT 3.0CS or V12 (850Ci)

Vintage BMWs are FUN! And you can STEAL THEM!! Like a PERFECT 3.0CS or V12 (850Ci)

NEWS FLASH!!! Keep an Eye on Vintage BMWs. Not to replace your Porsche but they are a very good investment and are a great addition to your Porsche collection.

I have been a serious Vintage Porsche collector for over 40 years (550 Spyder, Carrera 2 Cabriolet, GT Speedsters, 911s, Turbos etc etc) and I still have (7) Porsches.

But because Porsche prices in the last few years have skyrocketed I have started playing with vintage BMWs... I have always liked the 3.0CS because they are absolutely beautiful and are great drivers... I have been buying them because they are soooo damn inexpensive compared to 356s and early 911s.

I am not sure that you Porsche guys know that a restored BMW 3.0CS with upgrades can be SCORED for under $14,000!... A totally restored beautiful BMW Coupe that is less then the cost of a 911 engine rebuild. These are BMWs from the same period (1969-1973) as our 911s that used to race against and sometimes beat the Porsches at major races/tracks...

Example for $13,000 my buddy just bought a totally restored 1973 3.0CS that had been for sale for a while in LA. It is rust free with a rebuilt 3.5 Liter and a 5 speed. The car is Silver with a Sunroof... The BMW runs and drives GREAT and the AC blows cold!
    The BMW now sleeps next to his 1963 Porsche 356B Cabriolet.

The 3.0CS is a fantastic Car for the money and he really enjoys the car...

The other BMWs that are insanely cheap are the 850i/850Cis... They are a Beautiful Coupe with a 325HP 5.4 liter V-12 engine and were very Limited Production (In 1995 they only built 45 cars) ... With the V-12 they are pretty fast (0-60 in 5.3 Sec)plus they handle very well and make a great high speed cruiser..

Image owning an absolutely perfect BMW with a V-12 for $7,500... That is not much more the cost of a pair of Sport Seats.

About 10 years ago I sold a running and driving 1972 911S with Sport Seats and with no rust for $13,800... That was ALL the money at the time! We all know what has happened to Porsche prices since then and I think the BMWs will probably follow the trend. Worth at least watching for those who love classic cars.

BTW- I have NOT jumped ship ( OK so I have a Dino Spyder/246GTS) and I still love Porsches but there are other cars that are also almost as much fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by execmalibu; 06-22-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Having a 3.0 Csi and comparing it to my two 1600-2 I agree that the e9 is nicer to drive on the long runs.
    But I also love the nimble, light, easy and primitive to drive and to work on small BMWs.
    072011.jpg

Uai,

I know that BMWs are prone to rust...

But I have never seen the whole roof rust away... Did it blow off at 120MPH on the Autobahn? Didn't anyone warn you not to open the windows at the speed? :-)

Cool Cabriolet...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 06-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.

I've got a buddy that works on them. He handles the builds and maintenance for a private collection. The owner has over thirty of them. Some are bone stock restored, but some get wild. My favorite is the 1800 with the EVO M3 in it. That one's pretty zippy for the Bimmer!

What amazes me is the amount of E9s out there that have junkyard 7 series engine swaps. Often, they are in pretty nice cars and are "upgrades". "Numbers matching" does not seem to matter in BMW circles. 2002 Turbos, Tiis, any level of E9 lightweights, period Alpina and Schnitzer stuff....that ship is leaving the dock, not quite sailed but you have hurry!
    P.S. Anyone know of a good E34 M5 Touring for sale?

Strato 102 - good call on the M5. I was going to mention the early M5s as interesting deals too.

uai - beautiful car!
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Strato,

So far NO ONE in the BMW Community cares about matching numbers! I have a bone stock 1974 3.0CS 9th from the last 3.0CS built. The car has been repainted in the original color but other then that the car is amazingly original down to the smog pump still hooked up and working...

But every I repeat EVERY BMW expert I talk to says "Phuck original"... Put a 3.5 liter and a 5 speed into the car and change the bumpers...

That Ain't going to happen!

My other E9 the Great Pumpkin has been upgraded and is great to drive but I like original...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!! .....restored BMW 3.0CS with upgrades can be SCORED for under $14,000!.....
    Point me towards one. I keep on looking for them with not much luck.

Gytis
    1967 911 matching numbers car ( sold )
    1968 911T/R #0805 (SONDERWUNCH AUSSERH DER M.LISTE NR184****) SOLD
    1969 911E MFI matching ALL numbers SOLD
    1981 911 Target 4K ( SHIFT trip-Nürburgring-SPA and SOLD )
    1986 930 "Carnivore" ( "while I'm there" mode )

Execmalibu,

That is a very nice looking 74. That electric mirror gives it away as a very late car. 2002 style radio antennas are rare, too. Nice car. My guess is that you won't see black tar on the strut towers and inner fenders when you open the hood.

Strato,

Yes the car still has the tar-paper on the shock towers... Painted flat silver and cosmoline...