Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a lot to learn has a question.

New guy with a lot to learn has a question.

I joined the registry about two months ago and at that time I posted a few photos of my 1971 911s that I have had several years. Since that time I have been very busy trying to get my retirement underway and have been unable to spend much time reading and participating in the Registry . Things are now under control a little better and I want to spend time on my 911 and participate in the Registry.

Name:  porsche file 4.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  62.4 KBName:  porsche file.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  57.3 KBName:  porsche file 4.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  62.4 KBName:  porsche file.jpg
Size:  57.3 KBName:  porsche file2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  56.2 KBName:  porsche file 3.jpg
Size:  58.7 KB

As someone who knows very little about Porsches I have been reading as much as I can about these wonderful cars and have learned a lot, but one area that I don't quite understand is why have these cars have become so valuable in what seems like very short period of time. I have American cars that have become somewhat valuable over several years, 1956 Thunderbird, but the 911 and specifically the early S cars are remarkable in this area.

I am still learning how to navigate the Registry and please forgive me if this questions is answered else where and I haven't stumbled on to it as of yet.

Thanks for any help,

Dan Stricklin
    Dan

Thumbs up

Welcome Dan....

Beautiful car.......

Your adventures have just begun............
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Welcome...Nice car...

Beautiful car. Doesn't get much better than a '71S.

Welcome.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Welcome also to the Registry. As you might have noticed no one has answered your question about escalating/skyrocketing values of these cars and especially the 911S model.

The way I see it is first, the early 911 series- 1964 through 1973 are iconic. It seems everyone knows and recognizes the 911-body shape. As you probably know the basic silhouette of the 911 has hardly changed in almost 50+ years. Few if any automobiles can boast that. In return there is a strong visual and thus brand identity that prevails. The average man on the street may not know whether a particular 911 shaped car is a 911T or E or S, or even a 912, but they will most likely know its a Porsche.

Second, people really like these cars. They are remarkably endearing. Their performance is quite remarkable and when studied in conjunction with their engineering design, they are incredible. These plus many other specific qualities find owners very loyal to the marque. More times than not, they are always worth maintaining and fixing.

Third, Porsche is the most winning manufacturer in its classes. The old advertising adage of race and Sunday and sell on Monday, prevails. I really like my identification with such a successful brand. It pleases me.

Additonally, these cars are a commitment. For me, I thoroughly enjoy my commitment. My cars teach me something regulary whether it is about how I drive, service or even interact with fellow Porschefiles. I've met wonderful people I never would have otherwise met. I gone places and experienced things that could fill a book.

Fourth, as the population ages, the baby boomers or however you want to identify this demographic, is wanting to accomplish and own things in their lives that they've always wanted. (I can't tell you over my 43 years of Porsche ownership how many times I've been told: I've always wanted one, I had one, I am going to get one). Here I believe lays the root economic engine for spiraling prices. There is a price of admission AND a price to maintain one. Speculators have entered this market and unfortuneatley or fortunately, they have been rewarded. The by-product is owners have enjoyed phenomical appreciation of their investments.

Nice Porsches more times than not cost more than ones in poor condition. Often its worth it to spend good money wisely on a Porsche because so many people understand that in the era of the early 911 Porsches, compared to cars then and even now, they are outstanding.

Thanks for joining our group. Enjoy your great looking car!
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Nice looking car
    Here you have a little more reading: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...akes-an-S-an-S
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Hi Dan,

I know what you feel, because I am (was?) in the same moon since I entered the site last year. But I found very nice people, always ready to answer or help you. Even if I live in Switzerland, I don't feel alone and I already met some french members. So, take your time and enjoy, early911sregistry is a nice world to live in! Put a maximum of pictures, because we love that...
    By the way: very nice car in this specific color!

Thanks to everyone for doing the research for me it was very helpful. At the moment I am a sponge gaining a lot of insight and wisdom about these cars. I have had several friends tell me that they love the sound of the motor as it goes thru the gears and I have to agree with them it is something else, but the sound that has convinced me more than anything about the quality of my car is the simple sound made when I just shut the door.

Thanks for your help.
    Dan
    Last edited by danniesaa; 06-28-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: left out aword

Olde Threade Alerte . . .

Another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...873#post736873

VIN = 9111300100

Epilogue . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post913478
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-11-2021 at 08:39 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Dan,

Welcome! We ALL (here at least) started along this path sometime. For me at least, with not nearly as nice a car as you have there - BEAUTIFUL! As requested, post lots of pics, we love those here. I'd love to know the backstory on how you obtained it. Haasman did an excellent job IMHO of explaining the sharp rise in values. ALL models including the under appreciated (value wise) 912 and "lowly to some" Targa's are enjoying the ride, but not in proportion to the S. Most of us being gearheads here will notice that those pics of your car were taken at an airport, so if there is an airplane in the mix, pics of that are mandatory!! If you don't already, you'll come to love this place.