Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BMW 850Ci is beautiful but what am I missing..

The BMW 850Ci is beautiful but what am I missing..

I wrote about the Vintage BMWs being a great score right now but based upon recent my experiences in my 1996 BMW 850Ci maybe they are about to explode??

Story,

Saturday night was my 29th Anniversary so I take the wife in the 850Ci to Geoffreys Restaurant here in Malibu. Geoffreys is a very high end restaurant and in the parking lot is a new Ferrari 458 Spider, A Lambo, a Porsche Turbo S Cab, A Rolls Phantom, Bentleys, MBs and a bunch of other high end cars...

After dinner the valet brings my 850Ci up to me and he says "This BMW is amazing I absolutely love these 850s". I thanked him with a grin on my face, tipped him and left. Told the wife what a surprise the guy sees amazing cars every day and he comments about an old BMW 850!

OK so the very next day I am at my buddies in Santa Monica and the 850Ci is parked in his driveway. My buddy happens to notice that a guy is stopped in the middle of the street staring at the 850. We go out and ask the guy whats up and the guy says "That 850 BMW is a V12 isn't it?" I said yes and he says "I have always loved those 850s.. one day I am going to get one!"

On the way home I get a thumbs up from a guy in a new Range Rover...

I think the 850s are very cool but I am getting attention like it was a Bugatti or something insane. Not just and old BMW...

What am I missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by execmalibu; 07-03-2013 at 08:38 AM.

So what do you think the valet says to the owners of the Ferrari 458 Spider, A Lambo, Porsche Turbo S Cab, Rolls Phantom, Bentleys, MBs and a bunch of other high end cars..., if not "This (insert make and model of car) is amazing. I absolutely love these (insert make and model of car)" ?

Hey, the guy's only looking for a good tip.

That observation aside, I have (truthfully) always loved the 850 especially in your car's colour of blue. Came close to buying a used one once (same colour as yours), but I hesitated over the potential maintenance costs of the V12. Have owned many BMWs over the years. Currently have this '72 tii:

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post

I think the 850s are very cool but I am getting attention like it was a Bugatti or something insane. Not just and old BMW...

What am I missing?
    First it is getting old enough to be considered vintage not just an old car, plus from the photo it looks like you have taken good care of it.
    The other factor is that it has a more performance orientated look than the reality, the young just don't know. V12 seems to be sexy until maintenance is due.
    Still a nice looking ride.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Brent,

I doubt the valet was commenting just to get a tip because at Geoffreys they have a system I have never seen before. They have a tiny parking lot that is very steep so to expedite things you pay for the parking and the tip with the check at your table. The valet seemed to genuinely like the car and could not figure out how to turn on the lights and wanted me to show him. Even if he were just after another tip that does not explain the guy who stopped dead in his tracks in the middle of the street and stared for a couple of minutes at the car.

They apparently only built 2-3 in Blue of the total of only 133 late 850Ci (M73). I love the golf green (yellow) on your Tii even more then the Colorado on my 3.0CS the Great Pumpkin.

Want to sell your Tii?
    Last edited by execmalibu; 07-03-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Colorado is a nice colour. Quite rare on a 3.0cs. I had an Inka 2002 back in the day, which is similar in colour to Colorado but a deeper shade of orange. Also had a '73 3.0cs in Fjord a few years ago that I bought from the original owner with a mere 28,000 miles on it and ZERO rust.

Thanks for your interest in my tii, but I'd been looking for a rust free Golf tii for some time and was lucky to locate this one (in California of all places!). This decal is on the passenger side rear window

Last edited by BrentF; 07-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Thats a Nice '02.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    So what do you think the valet says to the owners of the Ferrari 458 Spider, A Lambo, Porsche Turbo S Cab, Rolls Phantom, Bentleys, MBs and a bunch of other high end cars..., if not "This (insert make and model of car) is amazing. I absolutely love these (insert make and model of car)" ?

Hey, the guy's only looking for a good tip.

That observation aside, I have (truthfully) always loved the 850 especially in your car's colour of blue. Came close to buying a used one once (same colour as yours), but I hesitated over the potential maintenance costs of the V12. Have owned many BMWs over the years. Currently have this '72 tii:

1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

You still have the coupe? Very similar to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    Colorado is a nice colour. Quite rare on a 3.0cs. I had an Inka 2002 back in the day, which is similar in colour to Colorado but a deeper shade of orange. Also had a '73 3.0cs in Fjord a few years ago that I bought from the original owner with a mere 28,000 miles on it and ZERO rust.

Thanks for your interest in my tii, but I'd been looking for a rust free Golf tii for some time and was lucky to locate this one (in California of all places!)
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

No I sold the coupe about 10 years ago. It was a great car but had velour upholstery and no A/C (although it had a sunroof). I was going to change the upholstery to leather and install A/C, but I thought the cheaper way to do that was to buy a new coupe. Looked for a long time but never found one that was as original as the one I sold. Here's my current fleet:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Here's my golf gruen 02. Which may be for sale soon
    Eric W.
    72 911T euro 3.2 T-Rally tribute
    73 CS30 original survivor
    56 Healey 100M
    70 Giulia 1300Ti 2liter
    Tour Auto 04/05
    Colorado Grand 03/04/05/07/08/11/17/18
    RG # 650

I have (5) E9 coupes but no 2002s... I might be interested in your Golf 02... Does it have a sunroof?

execmalibu@earthlink.net

Jeff
    Last edited by execmalibu; 07-04-2013 at 07:59 AM.