Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not the first, surely not the last - but this is my attempt at an "ST"

Not the first, surely not the last - but this is my attempt at an "ST"

Hi

Figure I owe the community a thread where I share my trials and tribulations after a long time of soaking up those of others.

The base car is a 911T from 1970. When I bought it it was already a stripped tub, without an engine or tranny. What little rust there was (sills and rockers) had already been addressed. So with a straight and rust-free canvas we got going. Welding, paint, and running gear, were outsourced, leaving assembly to me (like a giant Ikea project, how hard can it be? ). The goal is to build a car that can eventually be FIA approved for Historic Racing. Since I am on a budget I will initially focus on getting the rolling chassis in accordance with Appendix K, meaning that an approved engine will have to wait (by the way - I am kicking myself for chickening out and passing on the 2,5L Plavan sold recently, that was so stupid). A 3,0L will allow me to enjoy the car until the piggy bank has filled up again.

At the present the tub is ready to be blasted one last time before carting it off to paint. I am thinking light ivory, with a satin black interior. If all goes to plan I can start assembly within 3 weeks or so.

In the meantime I managed to find some Weber 46's at a decent price, which I figure will be used on the 3,0L until they are transferred to the smaller engine. Also scored a freshly rebuilt 915 gearbox, with a factory LSD.

So here we go, a few pics to start with (at least I owe Sten a few ).

I aim to continue the write up as we go.

Brgds
    Johan

Name:  IMG_2176.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  108.4 KBName:  IMG_2153.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2206.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  92.5 KBName:  IMG_2168.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  67.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by H-viken; 10-14-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Nice start! I would caution against a black interior in a race car--it tends to radiate a lot of heat and it's harder to find leaks, cracks and other issues. Just paint the whole thing ivory.

My .02.

Per
    Per Schroeder

Thanks Per! I appreciate your input

The engine bay and luggage compartment will be white, whereas the actual interior of the car will be black. I hear what you are saying about heat, not sure I like the looks of a white interior though.

Looks like we go to paint on Friday this week (no promises on when they will be done though ). Still hope to have it back in 3 weeks.

/Johan

Johan:

Looks like a great project. Do keep us updated as you make progress as ST builds are always interesting to watch. I agree with you, keep the interior black.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Body should have arrived at the painters yesterday, however, the sandblaster delayed the process by a week. Oh well, what is one week when one is waiting for Santa to come

There is nothing like a wide body slick back coupe. That '70 Gr4 sweety already looks great. Please post more pics.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

What are the front fenders you are running?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Subscribed!
    Looks promising
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    What are the front fenders you are running?
    I have sourced these through Peter Hajas who owns Ferdinand.se Not sure exactly where Peter gets them, but a good guess is from a German manufacturer. Sorry I can't be more specific. Peter, by the way, has some good contacts when it comes to re-manufactured parts (he helped me with the flares, both lids, fenders etc).

/Johan
    Last edited by H-viken; 07-20-2013 at 05:52 AM.

The car (well, tub) is now at the painter's.

The plan is to go see it early next week before he gets going, since we need to agree on a few details first. One of things that need to be decided is whether to use filler on the glasfiber hood in order to get it completely even, or leave it as is.

What is the general consensus: Filler - yay or nay?

/Johan