Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 911 "Normal" with some interesting sports purpose details

1968 911 "Normal" with some interesting sports purpose details

So, after selling one of my early 911 hot rods I accidentally bought 5 more long hoods! Don't get all excited, only one of them is a runner. Anyways, this one seems kind of interesting so I thought I would share the details with the group.

I bought this car partly for the ST flares but mostly because I wanted to see what it was. Figured I could use some parts for my 68 911T and sell off the rest. It was advertised as a 67 911 that probably started life as a 68 912 and now has a Hawaii issued VIN. I know right....sellers words, not mine....sounds like a 912 to me? Was told it had a midyear 2.7L. After pulling the dash pad and checking the engine numbers it turns out to be a 1968 911 Normal with the correct 2.0L 130hp engine, not sure if it's matching or not but it's within range. None of that really matters though because this car is a huge rusty pile of crap (which I expected) remember....I just bought it for parts.

Than things got a bit more interesting. First I spotted a factory dead pedal, cool! Oooh, lets check for a factory roll bar mount. Haha, no dice! But it does have 911S gauges which I believe were an option. Ok ok, so probably not an undiscovered 911 T/R or N/R or whatever. But another odd thing is that there is no undercoating on this car at all. I mean nothing...wheel wells, inside the trunk, inside the engine compartment, floor pan etc. And it doesn't look like it's been blasted at any point because the original satin black over the factory base color (metallic blue) is still there. This is probably the most interesting aspect of the car to me. Does anyone know if some cars where just not undercoated? It's my understanding that "Soundproof Undersealing Delete" was a somewhat rare/cool option. It also has vented front rotors, missing calipers though. Bilstein struts and Koni rears shocks. Reinforced engine mount, 68 style oil catch can and what look to be factory headers. The webers are standard IDA's and from what I can see with my bore scope the pistons appear to be stock 911/911L. Standard fuel tank and open diff.

So far that's about all I've uncovered. I think I might get a COA just to see what it says but not holding my breath. Anyways, I think it looks like an interesting car. I'm not ready to bust out the cutting torch just yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1976 Turbo Carrera

What's left of the headers.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Is there any way to tell if these plain door panels are original? Door panel police? They do have factory style beading on the edges.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Sent you a PM.

Was contacted by a member today who believes that he knows this car, at least from the mid 70's. He confirmed that the car was sold to someone in Hawaii. The flares, paint and exhaust were done in the 70's. No idea if any of the other parts were installed at that time or not. Amazingly he provided these pictures which were taken at Summit Point. What a small Porsche world we live in! Check out that 917...crazy!
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Craig, you find the coolest stuff.
    Now you may have to find a 912 donor and build it back.
    H

Harvey- you know anyone that can make me some wide steelies

Yeah, I'm thinking I may be forced to build this thing. It's just too cool to part out.
    Last edited by craighardy; 07-18-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

Quote Originally Posted by craighardy View Post
    Harvey- you know anyone that can make me some wide steelies

Yeah, I'm thinking I may be forced to build this thing. It's just too cool to part out.
    +1 on both the resurrection and the wide steelies (I wouldn't mind a set of those)

/Johan

What a bad-ass little outlaw she was, once upon a time! No doubt those wide steelies weren't simply there to look "cool" -- necessity always being the mother of invention. Her owner wasn't afraid to run that little 2-liter with the big boys! Now she's just a pile of rust; whether you can save her or not, thanks for sharing this evocative find from the '70's.

-- David

what a stance with those steelies...so cool!
    thanks for sharing
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128