Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally it's in

Finally it's in

Not bad, I got the motor in, in 45 minutes by myself after the motor being out of the car for the last 3 years. My only concern was the motor losing its balance on the jack and not having an assistance to spot the motor. Otherwise it all went fairly easily for my first time. Thanks to all who gave me advice along the way...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Bummer. Next time, ask to borrow the ATV lift I bought at Harbor Freight on Victory and Fallbrook! It made balancing the engine a no brainer when I did the 912 engine.

That's funny as I went to Harbor Freight to look at one and considered purchasing it. In the end I couldn't justify the $200 purchase for a one time usage. I wish I had known you had one.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    congrats on a big little step! not too bad to get them in but it's such a great milestone.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

So to protect the muffler from denting, put the engine on the jack without the muffler on the engine. then all you have to worry about is denting the $1000 heat exchangers if the engine falls off the jack ! Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Congrats, stud! Looks awesome! When are you going to light the candle??
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I spent the day installing the axles and getting all the underside things done. I had to remove the left side heat exchanger so I could snug up the long oil line. I had a brain fart (plus I'm a rookie) and didn't realize that I couldn't tighten that fitting with the Heat Exchanger in place. I also worked on leveling the muffler. Oh, I almost forgot, I wedged the hot air hose between the starter and the floor during the install, resulting in me having to lower the engine to dig the hose out. Just stupid things from not knowing...

I'm hoping to light it off on Sunday...I'm pretty motivated now...

Congratulations. The engine looks nicely detailed.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Congrats G

A few tips

That bracket for the fuel pump is used with the Hardi pumps. The Bendix mount flat to the electrical console with a pair of rubber standoffs with a ground strap sandwiched between the pump and the rubber that connects to the ground stud just forward of there. This will relax the bend on your fuel hose from the body and show off that nice sticker!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hey thanks for the tip. That was how it was, with a different generic electric fuel pump when I got the car. What you say makes perfect sense now. Thank you.