Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally it's in

That's a beautiful motor. Can you give us some details?

Quote Originally Posted by KennethClay View Post
    That's a beautiful motor. Can you give us some details?
    Thank you

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...?90715-Finally

Ok I corrected the Fuel Pump mounting. For sure much better. Thanks John
    Can someone confirm that the spade connector attached to the Alternator harness at the Terminal block...should this connect to the Starter Relay?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Well I tried to light it off today. I went and bought a new battery and repaired a small fuel leak, but I couldn't get it fired. I was getting fuel, in fact I may have flooded it. It was difficult to check if I had spark without an assistant. I'll chase it tomorrow night...
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 07-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.

G-- you have the fuel pump upside down-- please fix that immediately as it's a fire hazard.

Your ballast resistor is missing-- if you want to do stock wiring, you need the stock diagram:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...elays-Analyzed

Be very careful, gasoline fumes with the wiring back there are a big fire hazard. Check and double check before turning the key! And have a fire extinguisher handy.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks John. I'll change the pump. It must be the all the fumes I have been sniffing, I eliminated the Ballast Resister when I installed the MSD. Although I believe I'm not getting any spark, but I still need to verify this. I appreciate your input...

You can check for spark solo by just removing the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap, laying it a 1/4" from a metal part, and then rotate the engine by hand with a wrench on the pulley nut with ignition turned on. At each 120 degrees you'll see a spark jump. Or not! And yes, the red wire goes to the start relay, term #30.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ok I need some help. I straightened out the fuel pump, but I am not getting any spark (Thanks Ed). The ignition is stock other than the MSD and the Tach adapter. I removed the Ballast Resister and Condenser. MSD is a pretty straight forward install and there's lots of info online specifically for the SWB installation. Any suggestions or help gladly received...

Use your volt/ohm meter to ensure you're getting power to the MSD unit and coil primary, if so then another test you can do is to remove the distributor cap (by the way, did you install the rotor ? seen that done!) rotate engine until points are closed, lay high tension coil lead near ground again, then turn on ignition, using a good plastic handle straight tip screwdriver touch the end to the movable point arm and push open and let point close rapidly, you should be getting multiple sparks from hi-tension coil lead. If not while screwdriver tip is still against movable point arm alternately ground and unground screwdriver shaft to the distributor shaft. This should cause spark to jump from coil wire. This test eliminates points as a possible problem.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ok I'm getting power to the MSD unit and the coil, although I used a test light instead of an ohm meter. I next popped the distributor cap and although I have been sniffing lots of fumes, the rotor was there. When I was working the movable points arm I could here the MSD unit clicking, and when I touched the screw driver to the shaft it would lightly spark. But still no spark jump from the coil wire when grounded. Hmm...