Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finally it's in

How many wires do you have going to the +terminal of your coil in that picture of it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

There are 2 wires connected to the positive side of the coil. One is the orange wire from the MSD unit. The other is the black wire that formally went to the Ballast resister and now runs directly to the starter relay. Additional that black wire has a splice of another wire that connects to the factory plastic covered power supply red wire. Does that make sense? I really appreciate your help Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    There are 2 wires connected to the positive side of the coil. One is the orange wire from the MSD unit. The other is the black wire that formally went to the Ballast resister and now runs directly to the starter relay. Additional that black wire has a splice of another wire that connects to the factory plastic covered power supply red wire. Does that make sense? I really appreciate your help Ed.
    You need to have only the orange wire + and the black wire - from the MSD box going to the coil. Try this and let us know what happens.

Mike Kuhn
    Mayo Performance

Here is a link to the MSD forum regarding wiring a '66 911. I have a '68 and used this with correct results. http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...hlight=porsche

Mike Kuhn
    Mayo Performance

...and here are the installation instructions from the MSD website. http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...n_Control.aspx

Mike Kuhn
    Mayo Performance

Ok I'm working on that...I hope I didn't damage the Tach. I have installed a new set of points as well. I realize that it is only a trigger device now. Is the point gap critical?
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 08-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Ok I've got spark now. Removing all the coil connections except the two MSD leads worked. Thank you Ed and Mike.
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 08-10-2013 at 05:59 PM.