Thread: Identify this Wire for me

Identify this Wire for me

Can anyone identify this wire for me? It appears to be a whitish/grayish color with what I believe to be a factory connector. It disappears into the main loom in the engine bay. It almost appears to be tied in with a brown ground, but I can't quite tell as it disappears into the harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

doesn't that go to the license plate lights?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks John. Makes sense. I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out why I've got no spark. I'm going wire by wire at this point...

G,

IFIRC you are using an msd box on the crossmember.

White wire from MSD to points.
    Large Red MSD to power on terminal block
    Large Black MSD to ground stud forward of electrical panel
    Small red to ignition, I assume you have a "wye" connector with one branch to fuel pump power and the other to turn on the MSD box.
    Orange to coil positive
    Black to coil negative.

Everything else you can ignore like the magnetic trigger purple, etc.

Also for testing you can disconnect the tach adapter that I see in the photo. The elegant solution is to drive the tach off the tach output terminal on the end of the MSD box, I think those tach adapters (basically a doorbell transformer housed in a plastic case) create a lot of heat and power and are basically a second ignition coil used to generate a whopper EMF pulse to fire the tach. But to do this requires that the tach be converted.

Hope this helps, if you can post up a detailed photo of the problem area I'll do my best to help.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen