Thread: Wiring Harnesses

Wiring Harnesses

Our cars are old and many suffer from poor or no repairs. Wiring is as susceptible to corrosion and physical damage as the bodies of the cars. Many have wires that are just twisted together and covered with tape, butt crimps, and damaged insulation from abrasion and overheating.
    For those of you who have not seen his thread in the Parts Forum yet, Timmy2 (Dennis) is restoring and making wiring harnesses.
    Dennis had posted a request for a few wiring harnesses to clone. My car is apart for a bit of work, so I contacted him about loaning it to him. A tough decision since it would be very costly if it were lost or damaged in shipping. I had contacted the local Dealership and they informed me that Porsche says it is NLA, and used ones can be tough to find in good shape, and quite expensive if one is found. Many have been cut, connectors damaged when removed, wear and corrosion. My 1973 CIS harness was a 6 month only one. After a few emails I felt confident in him and I decided to send mine to him.
    I insured the package heavily and sent him 3 sets, CIS Engine, rear electric panel, and CDI. Dennis was great. He knew I was nervous about shipping it across the Country and kept me up to date with information to the day it arrived back at my house. My harnesses were in decent shape, but had some small problems. I intended to fix it myself when I had time, but he offered to do the repairs at a reasonable price for lending it to him to copy.
    Dennis just returned my harnesses. The work is top of the line. I had been an Electrician in NYC for over 30 years working on some of the biggest projects in the Country, and I could not have done a better job myself. He has taken the time and effort to source what is needed to do a beautiful job.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Good to hear of another forum member providing a needed service,,,,soon this forum will totally self sufficient
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for loaning me your harness Ed, I really appreciate it.
    It is members like you, here and at Pelican that make these communities great.
    I take great pride (and a little profit) in building these engine harnesses knowing I've helped preserve another car.

Dennis