Thread: Voltage regulator installation

Voltage regulator installation

I am not sure if the oem regulators with the black cover are available, but I have a Bosch unit that is all silver. The new one is Bosch number 901-603 206-02. At the bottom of the unit the numbers are 0190601006 and below that is says AD 1/14 V 388.

I am trying to figure a few things out

- is this the correct unit
    - if so, how do the loose wires which are mounted to the top screws of the "black" covered regulator get installed to this new unit.
    - and how does the unit install to the car body as the mounting tabs from unit to unit are very different.

I am involved in this as I have blown out two coils in two months. I have no way to test the old regulator, and wish I did, but think this is the problem which may be fixed by installing this new regulator. I recently posted a thread about the coil.

Thanks!
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Do you have a Bosch or Marchal alternator?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I am not sure, but think it has to be a Bosch as the regulator with the black cover, says made in W. Germany. I think if the alternator were Marchal, the regulator would be a Marchal too.

If this is incorrect, I can get under the car and tale a look.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

The reason I questioned this is that usually a regulator with the black plastic cover is a Motorola/Marchal, at least as far as O.E.M. was concerned. Bosch regulators were of the silver cannister type. The thread pitch was different for Bosch and Marchal on the rotor shaft. (ie. the pulley nut) I think the Marchal had a 1.00 thread pitch and the Bosch had a 1.25 thread pitch. You won't see the alternator from under the car, that's why I mentioned the thread pitch difference. The other difference is that usually on Marchal systems the regulator wires attached at several different posts, whereas Bosch regulators usually used a 3 prong plug that contained all three wires in one plug.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.