Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ORIGINAL and RARE 911 PARTS are WORTH MORE THEN "RE-BADGED" PARTS... CORRECT?

ORIGINAL and RARE 911 PARTS are WORTH MORE THEN "RE-BADGED" PARTS... CORRECT?

So a very well known and long time senior member of the 911S registry with thousands of posts responds to my ad for MFI Pumps...

He was specifically looking for a 1972-73 911E Pump #126-014... I responded with my asking price and he replied...

" why wouldn’t someone simply take a $500 015 core and have it rebuilt/restamped?"

I replied.... For the same reason most early 911 guys don't put a 911S emblem on their 911Ts... They want ORIGINAL parts and cars...

Then I get the attached email...

Ha!
    You must count me among the amateurs who make up most of the Porsche world!

A re-camed, rebuilt, re-badged 015 pump is no different in appearance or function than an original 014 pump.

I forgot; you’re from CA and much more image conscience than us simple folk from XXX.

Best of luck!

Have we changed our philosophy on ORIGINALITY and is "Re-Badged" the new Standard?

I did not want to OUT HIM so I have concealed his name and home state.
    Last edited by execmalibu; 08-20-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Oh my gosh!

I am with you 100% on this. I would not rebadge an MFI pump for any car I owned. Maybe one that was going on a hotrod engine, but then why do that?

PS and I'm from Indiana not CA
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

If this guy is OK and even recommends in writing that he would "RE-BADGE" an MFI Pump wouldn't the same guy be OK with a "RE-BAGED" 911 Engine case?

A serial number on a case starting 631 is apparently NO PROBLEM for him? The guy just needs a few minutes with a die grinder and some metal stamps and he will instantly have a 633 or even a 663 case...

Again what is sooo damn surprising is who this guy is... I have been reading his posts on this site for many years and he always seemed very honorable.

I tried to explain to him I have been dealing with Porsches for 40+ years including owning a 550 SPYDER, a 1959 GT Speedster , several Carrera 2 Cabriolets and many other rare Porsches and that the ORIGINAL NUMBERS stamped at the factory on these cars and their matching parts are what have always made them extremely valuable...
    I also said ORIGINAL ART can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars but a perfect copy is nearly worthless...

My comments were falling on deaf ears and he was not "in the Realm of Persuasion".. His response was one word...

"YAWN"

For the record I recently sold an ORIGINAL MFI pump #013 to a guy in Wichita Kansas so I guess even some of the common folk from Kansas understand that ORIGINAL has value...

I wonder if this guys wife knows she is wearing a RE-BADGED" Gold/Diamond ring? Like he says "it is no difference in appearance" and only those women in California wear real Gold and diamonds...

How many of you other guys gave your wife a phony Gold ring?

STOP!!! Do NOT answer that... Your wife might read this post...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 08-21-2013 at 07:44 AM.

I'm not sure I'd rebadge one either, but the idea has come up for me recently.
    When you consider taking a cheapo 015 pump and have it rebuilt, Gus will make a near perfect plate stamped for whatever spacecam is put in it.
    If it's got the correct date coded casting on the exterior, how could anyone even tell the difference?
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Lightbulb

When I did the 2.7 RS rebuild of my 2.4S engine in 2003 my #021 pump, to be converted to RS spec, unexspectingly came back from Gus with a #019 stamped plate on it......... same 2.4S pump, different stamped plate.

When I asked Gus about it he said:
    "Yah, yah, one reason vee do'dat ven we change dem so I know vhat I'm verking on da next time"

I tell all it's a re-stamped pump from Gus........

... and so it goes
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    When I did the 2.7 RS rebuild of my 2.4S engine in 2003 my #021 pump, to be converted to RS spec, unexspectingly came back from Gus with a #019 stamped plate on it......... same 2.4S pump, different stamped plate.

When I asked Gus about it he said:
    "Yah, yah, one reason vee do'dat ven we change dem so I know vhat I'm verking on da next time"

I tell all it's a re-stamped pump from Gus........

... and so it goes
    It was your original plate that he stamped OVER. If you look closely the original number will be visible an the restamp will be obvious.

He's been doing that restamp procedure for decades...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Isn't it a matter of degree? An #015 core may be $700; rebuilding with the new space cam is what? $1800? Gus stamps a 4 over the 5 and sends it back. That's option one -- functionally the same for $2500 or so. An original #014 pump is worth, let's say $3500 in good shape, not needing a rebuild. Definitely worth the premium to someone with the original car. The logical break comes when someone (and not pointing fingers) asks $6000 or more for a good S pump. In that case, I'd likely take the 015/Gus re-stamp route with 'notification.'
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I just realized what a Moron I am!!! GEEEZ.. Why didn't do this before? I am going to just "RE-BADGE" most of my MFI PUMPS with #019... Any of you guys want to buy an RS MFI PUMP??

BTW what was the MFI pump number on the 2.5 Liter ST? I'll also have a couple of those MFI Pumps for sale soon... NOT!

Chuck,
    Even back in 2003 had Gus asked you is it OK to re-stamp your ORIGINAL #021 pump wouldn't you have said "NO ... Please leave it original"...

I told the guy that I totally agree that a rebuilt/recamed 015 would be exactly the same but we ALL KNOW almost everything about collector cars including Porsches is about the numbers on the chassis and or parts...

What is the difference between two totally identical 911S Porsches both built at the factory on the same day Chassis #123 and #124... Chassis #123 was sold to some actor named McQueen the other one goes to Mr. Jones... Which car/chassis number is worth more?

For many years I owned and raced a 1958 356A Conv D #85502... I had no idea back then that the car was originally owned by some German Automotive Engineer named Dr. Ferry something... Similar situation with my 427 Cobra (CSX-3127) I and no one else in the Shelby Owners Club during my 15 years of ownership knew that CSX-3127 was the prototype 427 Cobra owned by Shelby American... The info was discovered years later on both cars..

The same cars are now worth double because of their chassis numbers and history...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 08-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.

And not any old set of stamps, a DIN set. Heh, Heh.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club