Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil dip stick length

Going by memory, but believe the 73.5 oil tank had a longer dip stick .
    Also required more oil ( don’t remember exact number of quarts) , it was a CIS engine.
    I Was not getting a oil reading on stick after engine rebuild and fresh oil install .......I had 3 dip sticks from different cars.
    Did not want to over fill and after some research was advised of longer dip stick and more oil so believe different tank.
    Look forward to further clarification form others.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Sorry for the hijack but could somebody please tell me which dipstick I should buy? My car is a 68 912 but now runs a 68 911 engine and the original dip stick provides an inaccurate reading being too short and consequently I have had to improvise with a 'make do' device/dip stick to ensure oil level has been properly maintained. Furthermore, is it okay to 'plug' my breather hose as shown on the photo?

Name:  IMG_20191111_112722.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  67.0 KB

You probably need the dipstick shown in post 10. Why not run that open breather hose to the aircleaner like it was meant to. Looks like you have K & N's so you'll need the adapter pieces.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Scott A, 71Gold, Ed and others. Based on Scott A’s note that his 71T filler neck was like mine, I tried the dipstick with the three notches like his - it fits very well so I think the puzzle is solved.

Now back to driving as intended.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS