Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil dip stick length

Oil dip stick length

Hi. I have a 1971 T. Engine number shows it as a Sporto. Can someone confirm the correct length of the oil dip stick? Could some other modification cause a different oil dip stick to be used, but still read correctly. Thank you.

Does the car have Air Conditioning?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes. It has AC. Looks like a York compressor. Date on the unit say 08/75. I'm not sure if the car was delivered with AC or not.

Reason I asked is it's very possible that to clear the compressor a different filler neck was used and a dipstick supplied with the A/C kit which would have been a different length than stock. Post a picture of the filler neck and I'll be able to see if your stick is a stock one or not.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Here are some pictures. Thank you for your help. Name:  IMG_6450.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  47.7 KBName:  IMG_6449.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  75.1 KBName:  IMG_6446.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  84.8 KB

That's not a 71 oil tank, appears to be a 73 and later tank.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

If you could expand on that it would be great. Does the rest of the engine give any clues? The engine number is 6119646. If I decode that right I get 6 cyl, 911T, 1971, 71T Sporto. There is a 5 spd in the car however. It's new to me so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    looks more like a 74 or later tank as I see no sign of an oil filter console which would extend the filter into the engine compartment. Gled

I made the mistake of storing several oil dipsticks together, and now am not sure which is the original one for my 1971 T. I assume it is one of the two lower ones which are both approximately 11 3/4 inches. The one above the ruler is similar to early dipsticks with notch markers; the one just below the ruler is smooth, no notches but two small circular indentations, but no min/max verbiage or part #.

Any help identifying the correct dipstick is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

I have a 71 T with an oil filler just like yours.
    my dip stick is right at 12 inches....
    tho, the camera caused an allusion, that it doesn't seemed lined up with the tape. It is lined up.

by the way, my car was birthed in metallic gold, but didn't make it in the CA sun. last four VIN are 0372.

Name:  dip.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  150.7 KB
    Last edited by Scott A; 11-10-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914