Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Tire Choices - What is your opinion or experience?

I think Michelin tires remain the best. XAS on the 912 and very 1965 911 (more gentle on the drive train), XWX on the 1968 911S.
    Milou, what sizes are you running?

Lately I've been using Falkens, per my local tire guy (requirements was "grippy" and available in those sizes): ZE 912s to be precise. I first got them for my 912 (how appropriate, I should paint the 912 designation in white on the tire) in 205/60 and liked them, so I got the same model in 195/65s for the 911 because I like the feel of 195/65 a little better. They are a decent tire and dirt cheap to boot. If it makes anyone feel better Falken runs a Porsche team in the ALMS so it's not like they are unknown...
    That's fantastic Greg, and yes, they are available and inexpensive. They seem much like the BFG's and the Goodyears mentioned above.

In reading about these tires I'm starting to get the sense that finding a tire that has excellent performance, longevity and low price is much like finding a good, fast, cheap restaurant... they are few and far between, and when you do find one they generally serve salsa with everything.

So what about those of you who take your cars to the track? I assume you're not running super-expensive vintage tires for track days, and you're not running all-weather passenger tires. So what super-stickies are you running, and what sizes do you prefer?
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

I use Yokohama Advan AO48s from Tire Rack. No racing yet, just spirited canyon drives and the occasional highway slog. They seem fine to me but I don't have much to compare them too and I don't drive it fast enough often enough to tell when they start getting hard or if they wear out first. Anyway, I use the 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 but I see they make a 205/60-15 like you wanted.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Don't discount the Vredestein 185/70-15's. Rated to 130 mph. Tread wear rated at 140. Excellent on a short wheelbase 911 or 912. I've autocrossed them with success and driven thousands of miles on the street. Super steering feel and ride. A very appropriate tire for a long hood.
    Various Porsche's

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    I use Yokohama Advan AO48s from Tire Rack. No racing yet, just spirited canyon drives and the occasional highway slog. They seem fine to me but I don't have much to compare them too and I don't drive it fast enough often enough to tell when they start getting hard or if they wear out first. Anyway, I use the 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 but I see they make a 205/60-15 like you wanted.
    I agree on the Yokohama Advan and they do make a 205/60/15 but they are pricey. My Nitto Extreme Performance 205/55 are nice for half the price of the Advan

anything other than a set of Michelin XWX is subpar. The Vredestein may be a viable secondary option..
    Louis

'61 Mercedes-Benz 180Db - Schwarz/Burgundy
    '66 911 coupe - Champagne Yellow/Black
    '68 MG midget - Blue/Red
    '69 GMC 3/4 ton, 4x4, 350, 4 spd, 4.56 - Lt. Blue/Lt. Blue
    '70 911S coupe - Lt. Ivory/Black
    '75 Mercedes-Benz 450SL - Lt. Ivory/Orange Bamboo
    '82 Corvette - Black/Black
    '83 Mercedes-Benz 240D, 4spd - Weisengelb/Palomino
    '11 Mercedes-Benz E350 - Cuprite/Chestnut
    '12 Volvo XC70 - Oyster Gray/Black

BFG G-Force are good.
    Yokohama S-Drive are good.
    Kuhmo Ecsta are okay.
    Toyo R888 have been serving me well at the track and in limited street service.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

What's the mission( period correct,show,autocross,street sport,track...) and what do you want to spend? Some of the choices offered are 1/4 the cost of a XWX.
    I have the S Drive on one car(inexpensive, stiff, grippy,only avail in 55, and don't look the part) and Avon CRZZ on another (good performance, look the part and 3.5x$ of the Yokos)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Trask View Post
    Don't discount the Vredestein 185/70-15's. Rated to 130 mph. Tread wear rated at 140. Excellent on a short wheelbase 911 or 912. I've autocrossed them with success and driven thousands of miles on the street. Super steering feel and ride. A very appropriate tire for a long hood.
    + 1.........
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I have Falken 205 55 15 and 225 50 15 and I'm please with them

Quote Originally Posted by 2.2Lou View Post
    anything other than a set of Michelin XWX is subpar. The Vredestein may be a viable secondary option..
    Subpar in what way? Every way? While I agree to a point that modern tires do look a little mismatched to an early car compared to XWX, Vredesteins, CR6ZZ, etc., I consider my car to be, first and foremost, a tool for spirited dry-weather driving and maybe an occasional autocross or track day. For me tires are a consumable and there's no point in compromising the drive just to have a tire that merely looks right. That said, I have a limit to what aesthetic compromises I will make - i.e. I have no interest in 17" wheels and 40-series tires on my early car.

I've seen lots of posts on this magnificent forum on how great the Avons are, both aesthetically AND to drive on. I 100% agree about the looks but do they work as tires just as well as the modern alternatives? I'm not looking for the cheapest solution - just the one that fits my purposes.
    1970 Porsche 911T Coupe
    1970 Porsche 914 6-cyl Conversion
    2014 BMW 328i Sports Wagon
    1988 BMW M3
    1991 BMW M-Technic Convertible